PDA

View Full Version : Question: WoC halberds with shield

Omalus
20-01-2011, 19:08
Greetings,

On another thread it states the following;

"My first tip... Don't underestimate Halberds. Halberd + Shield gives you the versatility of 2 WS/S/I 5 attacks in combat, or using a 2+ save, all for the same cost as a normal Warrior with a Great Weapon. "

Is this correct? I thought Halberds were 2 handed weapons. How does this work with a shield?

Any info is appreciated.

Mr. Shine
20-01-2011, 19:11
Presumably you may choose either or, but cannot benefit from both at the same time?

Cold_Blooded
20-01-2011, 19:11
In 7th edition you could pick which weapon set up to use in any given combo, so the warriors could pick the best option. 8th edition rules forbid this as they must use the special weapons. So yes, it was good advice last edition.

Oberon
20-01-2011, 19:16
It still is, as the halberd gives much needed str boost, and the shield helps on the way to close combat. With GW warriors would be even stronger, yes, but that would mean always striking last. With in5, you don't want to do that.

Morkash
20-01-2011, 19:26
Jup, that thread was back from the 7th edition, you can see it by the 2+ save with shield...shield gave +2 AS in meele back then. As already said, you will always have to use the special weapon, in this case the halberd. Hand weapon + Shield does not count as special weapon.

Xerkics
20-01-2011, 22:43
Its a pain to model knight halberds on the warrior models since like 3/5 halberds for chaos knights look poo.

Poseidal
21-01-2011, 09:12
Halberds with Shields is still alright as it can save a Warrior from shooting/some magic when they're getting there and is a reasonably low cost upgrade for a Halberd unit which can save an expensive guy.

You can't give halberds to a 'defensive' unit anymore though, as they're forced to go with the Halberds if they have them.

SkawtheFalconer
21-01-2011, 14:07
Its a pain to model knight halberds on the warrior models since like 3/5 halberds for chaos knights look poo.

GW online does a Halberds (and Great Weapons) bits pack for Warriors.

tmarichards
21-01-2011, 14:46
Your best bet is just to do the front rank with halberds, that'll save you having to do the whole unit and then it's also obvious what the unit is armed with.

To be fair, you can also make it clear with the paint job- if they're obviously Khorne, they will have halberds and maybe shields. If they're Tzeentch, they won't have halberds. As these are the only 2 types of warriors worth taking, you'll rarely see any other set-ups in competitive environments.

Evil Hypnotist
21-01-2011, 19:50
I'm a little confused by the 2+ AS in combat bit, surely this should be 3+ (Chaos Armour + Shield), or am I missing something?

Poseidal
21-01-2011, 19:53
I'm a little confused by the 2+ AS in combat bit, surely this should be 3+ (Chaos Armour + Shield), or am I missing something?

It's a relic from 7th edition where parry would improve your armour save rather than grant a ward save.

hashrat
21-01-2011, 21:17
A shield does improve your save and offer a parry, it's in the FAQ as they left it out of the book.

Shield and hand weapon, save 6 and parry.
Light armour and shield with hand weapon, save 5 parry 6.
And on it goes.

You lose the save bonus for the shield in combat only if you have a two handed weapon or duel weild, you lose the ward too. But the shield still gives the bonus against ranged attacks.

untimention
22-01-2011, 21:03
I run a 30 horde of them, as you get no bonus save in combat give them frenzy, 10 metal helberds from games workshop. If you have frenzy you cant parry but you get the extra bonus in shooting, which will happen if they can. Get magic resistance and the magic banner for ward save in shooting and you get 51 s5 attacks at i5