PDA

View Full Version : ogre kingdoms 5000 points .horde or not?

Pawel
20-01-2011, 20:39
what do you think is a better tactic for the Iron guts and bulls?
many small units (3-4)or two or three hordes (16-18)?

Malorian
20-01-2011, 20:49
Neither. Bulls in hordes of 24 work wonders :D

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

(At the time I didn't know there was a max size to ironguts.)

ftayl5
20-01-2011, 21:15
Yeah, Hordes work wonders now. They make the Helstorm Rocket Battery seem accurate, but once they get to you, you're dead.

Pointy Headed Elven Paladin
21-01-2011, 03:04
what do you think is a better tactic for the Iron guts and bulls?
many small units (3-4)or two or three hordes (16-18)?

I don't play OK but my regular opponent does. What works for him (recently) at 3000 pts. is a single unit of 27 bulls with the Tyrant, Slaughtermaster, & BSB. This unit also usually has a mess of magic protection (as I play HE). However he does suffer from manuvering issues if there is a lot of terrain on the table.

However the survivability of this unit is incredible (assuming no purple sun, mass cannon fire, etc.). Just to make it lose a rank require me to do 18 wounds in shooting or close combat. Regular rank & file would struggle to stop this as well.

So at 5000 pts. I'd probably suggest running them in about 2 hordes at 24 models each then have 2-3 screening units of 4-6 bulls on the flanks or in front of them main horde units.

And keep the gnoblars in the back. :rolleyes:

Malorian
21-01-2011, 19:46
And keep the gnoblars in the back. :rolleyes:

I disagree.

A horde of gnoblars is great for keeping dangerous units away from your own hordes.

(Just keep them out of trees... *smacks head*)

Pointy Headed Elven Paladin
22-01-2011, 02:44
I disagree.

A horde of gnoblars is great for keeping dangerous units away from your own hordes.

(Just keep them out of trees... *smacks head*)

Well you must have better luck than him because a good 75% of the time when he got within charge range with his horde of bulls the gnoblars in front that he uses for meatshields starts to squabble. This has helped me win several battles against him. :D

ftayl5
22-01-2011, 02:59
This has happened to me and is incredibly annoying and frustrating. Maybe in the new book Ogres will be able to charge through them inflicting an hit per Ogre on the Gnoblars or something. But as is, keep 'em in between units, they're only 100mm wide anyway.