PDA

View Full Version : Skaven! 2200 pts.

Dante blackfur
20-01-2011, 22:34
Hey everyone, I've been playing WHF for about 1.5 years now, I have a daemons, but then I saw the hordes of skaven and saw how awesome they got in 8th ed, so I figured, "Why Not try them?" So, I decided to, a friend of mine was wanting to get rid of his skaven collection so I offered to Buy/trade for them, and I ended getting quite a few models, this was last week, So I haven't gotten to play with any of them yet :(. but anyways, I was reading through the book and I came up with a heavy shooting army, basically the opposite of my daemons who are all melee fighters. That and shooting always seems to screw up my daemon army. :p. so here is the list I came up with.

HEROES: TOTAL: = 20 pts

x1 Warlock Engineer W/ Enchanted Shield (+5 pts) = 20 pts

CORE: TOTAL: = 550 pts

x50 Skaven Slaves =100 pts
x25 Skaven Slaves = 50 pts

SPECIAL: TOTAL: = 1100 pts

x20 Warplock Jezzels = 400 pts
x15 Warplock Jezzels = 300 pts

RARE: TOTAL: = 530 pts

x1 Warplightning Cannon = 90 pts
x1 Plagueclaw Catapult = 100 pts
x1 Doomwheel = 150 pts

Basically just position, your slaves infront of your shooters and hold out, on a standard table the jezzels can hit the far edge if you put them at your 12" line.

So, What do you think? Viable? needs changing? I'm hopefully going to be starting a league here in a few weeks and I would like to use my Rats if I can get a decent build.

sknich
20-01-2011, 22:43
the leadership of the Warlock Engineer is not going to hold your army. All those slaves are going to run off the board as soon as a panic test is taken. Warlords are only 90 points naked, and a bsb is only 80. They are essential. Plus there is no magic in this list, at all. You will get destroyed in the magic phase. Plus you have all the jazzails and war machines which have no rank bonus, so are going off Ld 5 for all tests. not fun. I like the theory of the horde which you have embraced, but you need magic defense and Leadership in the army or you will watch your army run off the board.

immortal git
21-01-2011, 00:37
scouts plus dwellers = dead army. plus ogre panic check -5 = goodbye all

AM1640
21-01-2011, 02:25
Good Lord that is alot of shooting. However I agree with the other comments that as soon as I touch your slaves with anything more than a goblin they will break and run and the ensuing panic checks will cause the rest of your army to flee.
You need some sort of halfway resilient general, and give him some sort of shooting attack to fit your theme.
You need a BSB to hope to stay on the board past turn 2.
You need magic defense.
You need standards. If you roll Blood and Glory you auto lose. You may also find it very difficult to win the watchtower with slaves either assaulting or defending the building.

untimention
22-01-2011, 08:54
Do you really have 55 Jezzels?

It's a nice idea.... but skaven need some background noise to keep them in check.

you can easily buy a warlord and give him a ward save and a BSB and you'd only need to drop to 35 jezzels

Anarkky
22-01-2011, 13:51
I see leadership issues, however I sure as hell wouldn't want to go against this list with my WE.

Flyers and scouts are your main issues, but I think you may have enough firepower to kill them all anyway.

Dante blackfur
22-01-2011, 16:24
If I was to cut a Doomwheel, x5 Jezzels and a plagueclaw catapult, that would give me 350 pts to spend on Warlord and BSB, so I was thinking,

x1 Warlord on Rat Oger w/ Foul pendant = 185 pts
x1 Chieftain BSB w/Foul pendant 110 pts
leaving me with 55 pts

The Warlord is on a monsterus mount giving him large target so his IP would extend to 18" :) plus with BSB within 12" my slaves could re-roll lds with most likely being Lds 10.

Dante blackfur
22-01-2011, 16:44
OK, heres an updated List, What do you think? I added General, BSB and some more shooty! :)

LORDS:

x1 Warlord on Rat Oger w/ Foul pendant = 185 pts

HEROES:

x1 Chieftain BSB w/Foul pendant 110 pts
x1 Warlock Engineer W/ Enchanted Shield (+5 pts) = 20 pts

CORE:

x25 Clan Rats w/ spear & shield + Full command w/ Warpfire WT = 215 pts
x25 Skaven Slaves = 50 pts

SPECIAL:

x12 Warplock Jezzels = 240 pts

RARE:

tmarichards
22-01-2011, 16:59
In a list like this, the generals ld is key- putting him on a combat mount is not such a good plan because you want to keep him safe- it also means that he won't get a look out sir. I'd give him a 4+ ward and hide him at the back.

The Warlock Engineer would do nicely with the Doomrocket, or maybe the Condenser.

Dante blackfur
22-01-2011, 17:04
K, So I'll Drop the shield, and the rat orger mount which gives me 70 pts, use that to turn my Warlock into a lvl 1 wizard w/ a Condenser.

gorbad
23-01-2011, 17:17
:wtf:hahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

immortal git
28-01-2011, 08:49
the issue is, your still a ******* for running this, and no-one will want to play you twice.

russellmoo
28-01-2011, 14:43
For your idea to be truly successful- you might want to do something like this-

Warlord, enchanted shield, talisman of preservation,- you now have a 3+ and a 4+ ward- for a total of 145 pts-
BSB- armor of destiny- 120 pts
40 Clanrats, FC, WFT

4 x 50 slaves

lots of jezzails

WLC, WLC

Your warlord is about as safe as you can make him without spending a lot of points (you could put him on a war litter if you want)-

You are still vulnerable to magic- but and one or two other things- but if you fix those than it's true that a lot of players won't want to play against this list-

As it stands- you will most likely slaughter- WOC, Demons, HE, Brets, OK, WE, and probably a lot of O&G lists-

DE, Lizards, and VC will still stand a chance due to their superior magic and some good skirmisher choices-

Dwarfs could be a problem (miners plus more accurate cannons)-
Beastmen- not sure- don't know how much of a threat ungor raiders are-
Skaven- are actually your most feared enemy-

stahly
28-01-2011, 14:45
Bad list, boring looking army, nobody will play you twice.

Eisenhorn
28-01-2011, 18:00
I don't think you are going to be able to get enough damage out of the jezzails. They have bs 3 so 4s within 18' on average you will hit with 10 and wound with 8 on average against t3 troops. Assuming you can get all the jezzails in a 10 wide cavalry base formation to have Los.

This is one of those theory armies which look good on paper but are horribly expensive to buy and can't perform on the table

thesheriff
28-01-2011, 18:14
Have you ever thought of doing empire?

TBH, i would play you with my daemon army. And LOL at you with my Ward saves. Statistically, Long range, 49 BS3, 3BS4 shots. You cause 10 wounds of T3 Bloodletters, or knights. And you only kill 14 stae troops.

Investment v.s kill ratio is poor at best. Even against stuff there good at killing.

I would suggest some SERIOUS magic investment for this to work. And alot of clan rat units, 30 storng with poisened wind mortars.

You've gotta fill your Rare with 4 Warmachines (otherwise its just not worth it).

A greyseer (or possibly 2 for some seriosu pain). Woudl get some dominance on in the magic phase.

The remaining 1120pts should be on unist of 20 clanrats with Weapons teams, and jezzails. Although 20 clanrats are far from ideal, the more smal units, the more scope of weapons teams. And i woudl only take 3 small unist of jezzails anyway (more targets)

thesheriff