PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Points of High Elves

Reiksmarshal
21-01-2011, 21:20
Okay so i started high elves with island of blood and ive a lot of experience playing with Empire. What do you guys think of this list?

Ernstad, High elf prince 307
Great eagle, vambraces of defence, armour of claedor, amulet of light, great weapon.

Korhedron High elf mage 170
Level 2, silver wand, dispell scroll

Ellydan, High elf noble 166
Dragon Armour, BSB, Banner of Sorcery

20 Lothern Sea Guard 285
Full Command, Shields

20 Lothern Sea Guard 285
Full Command, Shields

20 Lothern Sea Guard 285
Full Command, Shields

30 Swordmasters of Hoeth 505
Full command, Banner of Arcane Protection

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower 100

Total 2000pts

Doctor Chewy
21-01-2011, 21:40
Honestly, I think you'll struggle. You don't seem geared up to do much other than take charges, and while LSG are fine for core infantry, the Old World is full of stuff that will pull their heads without really breaking a sweat. One lvl2 mage might provide adequate defence if you're playing in an environment where magic isn't beefed to the max, but won't make much of an impact in his own turn, Banner of Sorcery or no Banner of Sorcery. In fact, the banner is a bit of a waste, since the lvl2 will struggle to use all those dice.
30 Sword Masters is a bit of a waste, IMO. A unit of SMs that big is going to be shot to pieces by everything on the table before they've even got their trousers on, especially in this list where there's not much else that needs shooting. That's five hundred points that is never ever going to see combat.
The Prince will struggle to have an impact as well. Good for taking out war machines and the odd unit of skirmishers, but an eagle on its own can do that. The Prince is better off bolstering a unit, or on a proper monster.
I'd say cut the SMs down to around 10-15, lose the command group, and spend the points on other stuff. Take the Prince off the eagle and either put him on a dragon, or on foot. I'd also swap one of those LSG units for a small unit of archers. Then any points to spare I'd spend on some cavalry (for manueverability, and to force the enemy to respond to something, fragment his battleline) or some Phoenix Guard (just because they're brilliant - hard as nails and able to dish it out quite handily in 8th).

Your mileage may vary, natch.

Bubbasan
21-01-2011, 22:34
I think phoenix guard with a tooled up character or two swinging great weapons are one of the nastiest things in the game.

My experience with high elves is don't use LSG. . . ever. . . but that comes from fighting them not playing as them. . .

I like bolt throwers, but I like either two of them or none of them.

I would like to see some high elf dragon princes or at least a lion chariot. Both add to a high elf army especially one that is already mostly infantry.

Good luck!

GenerationTerrorist
21-01-2011, 23:21
Some general observations that I have from looking at the list are as follows:

- The Prince on Eagle will die within a turn or two of shooting, or a turn or two of close combat, because he will be so detached from the rest of your army and without support. He would be better off in on foot in one of your units, and take the Eagle on it's own.
- Personal opinion is that a BSB should NEVER take a magic banner. Especially an Elf BSB....Gear him up for protection as much as possible. Talisman of Preservation and Charmed Shield are my prefered setup in smaller games for my High Elf BSB.
- Unless you plan on running them as a horde, the Swordmasters would be better off as two units. That big block is just begging for a Trebuchet/Hellcannon shot each turn.
- I like the dual-use aspect of Sea Guard, so I always take two (or three, in bigger games) blocks as my Core. The setup in your list seems fine to me.

Insane Courage
21-01-2011, 23:45
High Elves LSG will very rarely pay for the bows. Better off turning two of those units into spears with trying to get blocks to 25 mode ea. Take the third LSG unit split it up into 2 units of 10 archers. Take that SM unit down to 15 and bring a unit of 15 PG. Take the Prince off his Eagle and put him with the PG give the SM unit some sort of shooting protection. Ill add more once I relook at your list haha sorry.

Blademeister
22-01-2011, 01:40
Swordmasters should only be used in small regiments from 5-12 anymore and they're too big of a threat and they'll just get picked off. From my experience of playing High elves they can go relatively unnoticed aslong as they're small regiments.

Pointy Headed Elven Paladin
22-01-2011, 03:06
First off welcome to Asur. My comments will be in blue

Okay so i started high elves with island of blood and ive a lot of experience playing with Empire. What do you guys think of this list?

Ernstad, High elf prince 307
Great eagle, vambraces of defence, armour of claedor, amulet of light, great weapon.

Most HE players opt for Archmages at 2000 pts. due to the utility factor over that of a combatant like your prince. The setup for your prince isn't bad but it could be better suited by using your mobility with range attacks. Also the great eagle isn't a combat monster like a Griffon or Dragon so you'll be taking chances with your Prince in CQB if he isn't part of a multi-charge effort. When I field Lords on eagles I then to give them either the reaver bow and/or radiant gem of Hoeth for some ranged fire support or use him to character snipe figures with magic using the spirt leech from lore of death and then give him cheap magic protection like dragonhelm, talisman of protection, or enchanted shield if I take both the gem and the bow.

Korhedron High elf mage 170
Level 2, silver wand, dispell scroll

This setup is illegal as you have 2 arcane items. As you don't have a 4th lvl. mage I'd invest in the Annulian Crystal to help with dispels.

Ellydan, High elf noble 166
Dragon Armour, BSB, Banner of Sorcery

If you're going to give a magic banner to a HE BSB he'll most likely have to be mounted with dragon armor, shield, & barded elven steed as he'll be a sitting target in CQB assuming you didn't hide him in the middle of a very hard hitting unit. Standard setup for BSB is Armor of Caledor, Guardian Pheonix, & Great Weapon. The Banner of Sorcery can be given to any elite unit that can carry it.

20 Lothern Sea Guard 285
Full Command, Shields

20 Lothern Sea Guard 285
Full Command, Shields

20 Lothern Sea Guard 285
Full Command, Shields

These core units are strong choices but the true strength of a HE army are in the special units location. I would try to meet the minimum core allotment and spend the rest on either special or rare choices

30 Swordmasters of Hoeth 505

I guess you trying for horde for this unit??? Swordmasters are best fielded in numbers of 21 or less models (most HE players field one regiment of SMs at 21 models at 7x3 blocks and the rest at 14 models in 7x2 blocks if additional SMs are fielded). This setup usually maximizes your attacks while giving them some staying power to dish out their damage. SMs are the glass hammers of the HE army as they tend to attract everything under the sun to try and eliminate them from play (up to and including Purple Sun spells).

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower 100

To be honest RBTs are usually only effective you field more than one of them. Even then the HE community is split on their effectivness in the current edition. IMO save the RBTs for 2500 pts. + games and bring in Great Eagles instead for anything up to 2000 pts. as the Eagles can serve multi-purpose roles in the army from warmachine hunting, mage killing, march blocking, & re-directing charges.

Total 2000pts

I hope that helps.

lacurra
22-01-2011, 15:28
if you are going to run that many sea guard, i would definitely turn one of your mages into a mindrazor mage, give him the seerstaff to pick that spell and use him to turn a block on seaguard in stre 8 monsters. though i might still alter the list. i would drop on of the blocks of LSG's and add in a block of WL's or PG's. maybe even drop the prince for an archmage and pick up a noble.

Reiksmarshal
22-01-2011, 21:20
Okay so i changed it around a bit based on your suggestions. What do you guys think?

Ernstad, High elf prince 257
vambraces of defence, armour of claedor, amulet of light, great weapon.

Korhedron High elf mage 145
Level 2, silver wand

Ellydan, High elf noble 121
Dragon Armour, BSB, Enchanted shield

20 Lothern Sea Guard 335
Full Command, Shields, Banner of Sorcery

20 Lothern Sea Guard 285
Full Command, Shields

20 Lothern Sea Guard 285
Full Command, Shields

21 Swordmasters of Hoeth 370

2 Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower 200

Total 2000pts

thesheriff
22-01-2011, 22:27
You can't give BoS to that seaguard unit. 25pt banner allowance max.

You need a lv4 (practically). Lore of life keeps them alive. Try him with Wand, talisman of saphery, forlaiths robes. Princes on griffons arnt as useful. Even if they look cooler :p

Bolt throwers are too expensive for what they do. Points would be better saved else where

The lv.2 would be good with seerstaff.

I would suggest Armour of Caelador, Guardian phoenix on the BSB.

Drop one unit of seaguard for an extra 7 swordsmasters and command for 2 units of 14 (drop arcane protection aswell). And left overs from that added to the bolt throwers should go on a unit of PGs with banner of sorcery for Mage bunking.

Thesheriff

Bubbasan
23-01-2011, 08:08
I still think LSG are silly, but if you plan on using them then I completely agree with thesheriff's previous comment. Good luck!