PDA

View Full Version : 2400 WE Army

Anarkky
22-01-2011, 15:53
I have a tournament coming up shortly and was considering using this list for it's first tourny run.

Lords 265pts
Highborn 265pts
Wardancer Kindred
Blades of Leoc
Amaranthine Brooch

Heroes 488pts
Noble 158pts
Alter Kindred
Great Weapon
Light Armour & Shield
Helm of the Hunt
Hail of Doom Arrow

Branchwraith 165pts
Lvl 1
A Cluster of Radiants
A Pageant of Shrikes

Branchwraith 165pts
Lvl 1
An Annoyance of Netlings
A Murder of Spites

Core 624pts
12 Glade Guard 144pts
12 Glade Guard 144pts
12 Glade Guard 144pts

8 Dryads 96pts
8 Dryads 96pts

Special 737pts
9 Wardancers 183pts
Musician
Bladesinger

6 Treekin 410pts
Elder

6 Waywatchers 144pts

Rare - 285pts
Treeman 285pts

Total = 2399

Preacher
22-01-2011, 18:44
Just a couple quick points, but some important ones I think.

I'd consider dropping both of the Branchwraiths from the list all together and use the points to get yourself a Lvl 4 with Life. The pair of wraiths aren't that good when you compare them to a Lvl 4. Right now your +1 to cast (from the Lore of Athel Loren) and +1 to dispell. I'd imagine at a tournament your going to see a fair amount of magic, so the +4 to dispell is rather helpful. Not mention Life is a much better Lore then our own.

You'll also want to find the space to add some banners in there, if you roll Blood and Glory(pretty sure thats what its called) you'll pretty much auto lose, as you need banners for fortitude points.

I think you'd be better off to drop the Alter and add another unit of Glade Guard to be honest. Hail of Doom is an attractive item, theres no doubt. But once he fires it, what do you do with him? He's a lightly armoured T3 model out on his own with a few S6 attacks. Having 12 arrows that fire every turn seems a little better to me. Lets you control another "lane of fire", if you will. Its more intimidating to an opponent I think.

Like I said just a quick thought off the top of my head.

Anarkky
22-01-2011, 22:26
I just played vs a Bret army. I was completely destroyed. I was only able to dispell 1/2 of what he was casting. His two trebs killed my 6 treekin in 2 turns and my treeman was Herioc Killing blowed on turn 2.

This is my rewrite. I completely agree that two lvl 1s were useless.

Lords – 340pts
Spellweaver 340pts
Lvl 4
Wand of Wych Elm
Amaranthine Brooch

Heroes – 392pts
Noble 162pts
Alter Kindred
Great Weapon
Add. Hand Weapon
Light Armour & Shield
Helm of the Hunt
Hail of Doom Arrow

Branchwraith 115pts
A Cluster of Radiants
A Pageant of Shrikes

Branchwraith 115pts
An Annoyance of Netlings
A Murder of Spites

Core – 624pts
12 Glade Guard 144pts
12 Glade Guard 144pts
12 Glade Guard 144pts

8 Dryads 96pts
8 Dryads 96pts

Special – 701pts
7 Wardancers 147pts
Musician
Bladesinger

6 Treekin 410pts
Elder

6 Waywatchers 144pts

Rare - 335pts
Treeman 285pts
Great Eagle 50pts

Total = 2392

Preacher
23-01-2011, 02:09
A level 4 is quite a good add to the list. I'd still drop the wraiths all together. Why are you spending 230 points on them? Each one of them could be another UNIT of dryads lol. Or more archers.

If he/she had trebs you should have used your way watchers to remove them....quickly. Elves don't deal well with templates, especially Wood Elves.

How did the alter noble perform? Out of curiosity. I'd still drop him and the wraiths that's 392 points you can play with. That's another unit of tree kin. Which do you think would perform better? Those three characters or tree kin or 30 glade guard?

I guess the bottom line is that with those points you could really beef out your army a little more.

Anarkky
23-01-2011, 03:09
Preacher I'm loving your posts.

As for his trebs I killed one on turn three and the other on turn four both with my waywatchers. It sucked it took so long to get them into position, but there was very little terrain on the board, which hurts my WEs.

Biggest thing about the branchwraiths is "An Annoyance of Netlings" (only hit on 6's in a challenge) I love this, and "A Cluster of Radiants" +1 dispell dice. I could combine that into 1 branchwraith which I've been debating on and kill the other to add more GG, which is never a bad thing.

I like that you keep pushing me to get more shooting even though I have 43 shots per turn atm (36 GG, 6 waywatchers, HoDA Noble). Another 10 might be nice. I let you know my next play test, hopefully tomorrow.

As for the Great Eagle, yay or nay? I hate that they have dick all for saves but playing against those 2 trebs I realized I needed more then just the waywatchers to warmachine kill.

Edit because I thought more about it.

dropping 1 branchwraith for 10 GG. Keeping the HODA noble as he can kill units far beyond his point value ( a gamble, but i love to gamble ) 2nd branchwraith stays with An Annoyance of Netlings & A Cluster of Radiants. That's 53 shots + HoDA. Also I forgot to mention the Spellweaver is Life to regen all the wounds my treeman and treekin will eat up.

Grim Tuesday
23-01-2011, 03:16
I would agree that the branchwraiths are uneccessary in the list, particularly now that you have added the lvl 4. I would use the points from dropping them to beef out the two dryad units to 12, and add both standards and musicians to your glade guard units.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the wardancers - they're quite expensive and really suffered from stepping up, as they epitomise the 'glass hammer' approach which worked under 7th ed, but isnt especially viable in 8th. Also, waywatchers are a rare choice, and five would do as well as six to be honest.

I would also suggest changing the alter noble to a BSB with hail of doom - who can hide in one of the archer units. The alter noble lost some of his usefulness - particularly now that he strikes last, so if you are hell bent on keeping him then I would switch out the GW for an additional hand weapon.

In this many points it is also possible to have both a Treeman ancient and a Spellweaver - a nice choice with lore of beasts - as you can raise the ancients already impressive statline considerably. For instance, you could just about have:

Spellweaver 250
lvl 4 (beasts)

Treeman Ancient 350
Annoyance of Netlings

Preacher
23-01-2011, 03:51
I'm glad you like the posts. I'll be honest I worried it might have sounded harsh lol.

Dropping one wraith for sure is a good idea and I'm glad to hear it. But I'd still think hard about the other one. Annoyance works best on a defensive build character, so you challenge their character and watch as he says well I need 3's to hit your squishy little WE lord, so you chuckle and say ......

Or as Tuesday noted, Treeman Ancient with the little guys, nasty build that one.

Personally I still like war dancers. Their roll just somewhat changed, although not really. Wardancers should never see the front side of combat. Period. Unless they can kill every model in the unit. If they tag up with dryads or tree kin it's different. I'll gladly run into the flank rear if something anchored the front. They can't be expected to smash a unit in the front kill a bunch of stuff and run it down. Worked sometimes in 7th, wont in 8th.

I'd keep playing them and see how you like them, they are expensive and fragile. They need support, like all WE units.

They only reason I "push" for shooting is because we do it best. So I like a lot of it in my lists. I take 4 units of glade minimum in anything over 2k. Just me though.

Tuesday brings up another good point you can take a lvl 4 AND a strong character in your lord choices. In this size game the only hero choice I'd take is a bsb.

Keep play testing see what you like and what works. Don't forget you could use your Glade Guard to take out the Trebs too. Combined fire can be dangerous and you should use it. Pick a serious threat, pin cushion it with 40+ arrows and move to the next.

Anarkky
23-01-2011, 14:45
I would also suggest changing the alter noble to a BSB with hail of doom

It's a good idea, unfortunately.

"The Battle Standard Bearer loses his longbow," Page 53.

Grim Tuesday
23-01-2011, 15:29
However, the BSB can still take a magic bow, so you can give him Asyendi's bane and Hail of doom. I find it really useful, as the BSB would likely be easily killed in combat anyway, so this just combines two useful roles into one model rather than needing a separate noble for the HoDA.