PDA

View Full Version : Beastmen Newbie 2x 3k Lists ( ? which ? )

The Violator
22-01-2011, 21:02
Hey Guys,

As the title says, Ive just started collecting beastmen due to the fact no-one plays beastmen at my GW and I wanted to try something new !

So the key thing here is I wanted to decide between either Bestigors OR Minotaurs, after wanting the models desperatly !

First the Minotaur List :-

Lord

Taurox - 335

Heroes

Bray Shaman - 75
Lvl 2 - 35
Dispel scroll - 25

Bray Shaman - 75
Lvl 2 - 35

Gray Shaman - 75
Lvl 2 - 35

Gorebull - 160
BSB - 25
Beast banner - 75
Hvy Armour - 8
Shield - 4

Core

Gor Herd x 29 - 203
Full command - 25

Gor Herd x 29 - 203
Full Command - 25

Gor Herd x 29 - 203
Full command - 25

Tuskgor Chariot - 80

Special

Minotaurs x 18 - 1062
Shields

Total - 2713

So the idea here would be Gor horde's deploy with minataurs in the centre, Gray shamans jump into each horde all going for the beast sig spell to boost minotaurs !

So points still to play with here aswell !

Bestigor list :-

Lord

Khazrak the one eye - 270

Malagor, The dark omen - 350

Heroes

Gray Shaman - 75
Lvl 2 - 35
Dispel scroll - 25

Wargor - 85
Hvy Armour - 4
Shield - 2
BSB - 25
Banner of the beast - 75

Core

30 x Gor Herd - 210
Full command - 25

30 x Gor Herd - 210
Full command - 25

30 x Gor Herd - 210
Full command - 25

Tuskgor Chariot - 80

Special

28 x Bestigor - 336
Full command - 30

29 x Bestigor - 348
Full command - 30

Total - 2407

Again lots of points to play with still and same kind of tactic but bestigors on the flank, 29 with malagor and 28 with BSB and Khazrak

So what to add next ?

Summary

So theres my two lists, which one would be good to start with ?
Any tips or complaints welcome !

Cheers ;)

tmarichards
23-01-2011, 01:44
I don't play against special characters much so can't really comment on them, but I've got a couple of other pointers:

If you're looking for ways to flesh out points in the first list, you could do worse than give one of the naked mages the feedback scroll, and give the other either the 5+ channelling item and/or the Ruby Ring of ruin- it won't do that much damage, but if you sneak a wound on an abomb or kill a couple of shades then it'll pay for itself fairly quickly.

I've played against the new Beasts twice now in 8th edition tournaments, and I have to say, I find minotaurs to be inferior to Bestigor. Minotaurs die even faster to shooting (same T and less armour, and every model lost is worse than losing 3 bestigor). Anything that can remove whole swathes of the unit, such as Pit of Shades, is horrendous on them. Indeed, the last player I played was making plans to drop his minotaurs for a second unit of bestigor, with the flaming banner.

I've not played against a unit of 18 however, so that might be a different matter... but I suspect the Bestigor will serve you better. I know the Bloodgreed is good, and gaining loads of attacks seems really nice, but they're too easy to kill and/or lead around by the nose.

However, if you do take them, I'd definitely suggest running them with great weapons- they should be winning combats, and once they do and become Frenzied they can no longer parry. Believe me, that 6+ save won't help very much against shooty armies, whereas the great weapons will let you carve up a whole lot more stuff. The extra attack is good, but they should be winning combats fast enough to get up to speed. Taking enough of them will be the key factor, they'll die in droves but you MUST have enough left over to really make a mess.

I'd also suggest flaming banner on one of the Bestigor in the second list, which is the one I'd be advise going with first.

Points left over can go into Razorgor chariots- I'd advise you to stay away from the big gribblies, in my opinion they're more like expensive and easy to kill gimmicks than a worthwhile addition compared to some of the other stuff in the book.