PDA

View Full Version : Use items while fleeing?

Ulke
22-01-2011, 23:45
For example can you use a dispel scroll while your wizard is fleeing?
Would be nice with a page ref from rulebook.
Thanks in advance.

DaemonReign
22-01-2011, 23:57
It's in the latest FAQ actually.

They have made a brand new ruling saying that you indeed can use magic items while fleeing. Check it out.. It's one of the dumber FAQ answers out there, but still, no ambiguity--

Palatine Katinka
23-01-2011, 00:18
I don't think it's that dumb. Although they probably should've allowed specific categories instead of saying 'yes' to everything. Magic Armour and Talismans are definitely ones they have to say 'yes' to being able to use. It's because of them I'm glad they said 'yes' to everything instead of 'no' to everything.

Lord Inquisitor
23-01-2011, 00:25
Ambiguity has arisen with bound items. I'm assuming you can't use bound spells just like you couldn't cast spells normally, but there is scope for discussion on that.

Certainly an odd FAQ. One of those that change the way everyone had been playing it before without even considering that there was any other way.

DaemonReign
23-01-2011, 00:51
Although they probably should've allowed specific categories instead of saying 'yes' to everything.

Agreed. "Latent" Magic Items like armour should of course still effect the model. The FAQ answer should be that items that don't require a specific action to come into play still have effect.

Ambiguity has arisen with bound items.

Didn't even concider that one. Bound spells are dead to me in 8th Ed.hehe

AMWOOD co
23-01-2011, 08:10
I believe it was made for items such as the Dragon Horn which assist in rallying. After that, it just becomes easiest to say 'Sure, use them all!' instead of picking individual items.

DaemonReign
23-01-2011, 14:14
I believe it was made for items such as the Dragon Horn which assist in rallying. After that, it just becomes easiest to say 'Sure, use them all!' instead of picking individual items.

Reminds me of how they "solved" Daemonic Gifts and Stomp/ThunderStomp.

Same thing here really: While I can understand Why this route is taken, I personally would have prefered some differentiation.

Ulke
27-01-2011, 18:22
Magic armor and things that are passive abilities should still work since they dont require an action to use them, they are on all the time :D!
But using items while running from say a dragon doesnt seem right.

The wizard is fleeing so he cant dispel nor generate dices but he can use his dispel scroll and dispel anyway. Very wierd if you ask me.

Palatine Katinka
27-01-2011, 18:40
Magic armor and things that are passive abilities should still work since they dont require an action to use them, they are on all the time :D!
But using items while running from say a dragon doesnt seem right.

The wizard is fleeing so he cant dispel nor generate dices but he can use his dispel scroll and dispel anyway. Very wierd if you ask me.

Surely you can't use a dispel scroll in any situation that you can't dispel since it is done instead of dispelling with dice. Although... I thought you could dispel while fleeing. According to the same FAQ answer that lets you use items in fact...

decker_cky
27-01-2011, 18:43
Errr...you *can* dispel while fleeing.

Q: Can a fleeing model dispel spells or use magic items? (p24)
A: Yes.

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1610150a_FAQ_Warhammer_Rulebook__V1_3.pdf

So you can use any item while fleeing (even bound items?), and can dispel while fleeing.

Really, bound items are the ambiguity that's there to deal with.

Palatine Katinka
27-01-2011, 19:11
I would think you can't use bound items while fleeing since you can't cast while fleeing (bound spells give the exception that you need not be a wizard but no mention of fleeing). Same logic as not being able to use a ranged magic weapon because you can't shoot.

Ulke
29-01-2011, 11:37
Ah sorry, havent read the FAQ that good.
So I didnt see that you actually could dispel while fleeing.
Annoying how they change these kind of rules, it is a pretty big one.