PDA

View Full Version : Look Out Sir and Final Transmutation

PurpleSun
23-01-2011, 04:00
At a tournament today, the Judge said that characters now get Look Out Sir roles on spells like Dwellers and Final Transmutation. He said that this was based on a new update to the FAQ.

Thing is, I cannot find this in the FAQ. There is one that says you get the Look Out Sir for any spell with a template, but those spells do not have templates.

Thoughts?

Masque
23-01-2011, 04:32
That judge is crazy. But as the judge I would also say his ruling stands. It would be nice if everyone knew nonstandard rules were being played before the tourney starts though.

Lord Inquisitor
23-01-2011, 04:48
Yeah I don't think there's a FAQ to that effect. Must be said, I don't think it's a bad idea at all. It also could do with a FAQ as it comes up a lot.

Trikk
23-01-2011, 08:09
Maybe he meant the tournament organization's FAQ?

PurpleSun
23-01-2011, 12:02
His exact words were "It is in the updated BRB FAQ, the one that just came out after the last tournament [the last tournament being the end of November]".

Oddly enough, no one had the BRB 1.3 FAQ on hand.

The ruling went in my favor, because my opponent had just cast Final Transmutation on my general's unit, and he ruled a 6 on my general. The judge just happened to be standing there and said that I get the LOS.

My victory that round now feels cheap and ill-gotten.

DenWhalen
23-01-2011, 12:29
I scoured the FAQ last night after he made that ruling. I couldn't even find anything that he could even mistake for the rule he made up. What was he thinking?

RMacDeezy
23-01-2011, 12:42
it is a very common ruling made at tourneys in my experience, so its not weird that the judge ruled that your character should get it. the fact that he tried to justify it with a BRB FAQ is the weird bit.

Tregar
23-01-2011, 12:49
Judge was a *****. Misremembering an FAQ is no crime, but not having a copy to hand and then insisting on a ruling that neither player has heard of is just out of order.

Many tournament organisers are letting these types of spells have a LOS! roll now, but that's a houserule, not an official FAQ.

Trikk
23-01-2011, 13:01
His exact words were "It is in the updated BRB FAQ, the one that just came out after the last tournament [the last tournament being the end of November]".

Oddly enough, no one had the BRB 1.3 FAQ on hand.

The ruling went in my favor, because my opponent had just cast Final Transmutation on my general's unit, and he ruled a 6 on my general. The judge just happened to be standing there and said that I get the LOS.

My victory that round now feels cheap and ill-gotten.

It sounds like the most likely scenario was that the tournament allowed LOS for no-save spells, but when pushed the judge tried to justify it via BRB FAQ. He shouldn't have tried to justify it at all and just ruled it that way because of tournament rules. Then again, if it wasn't part of the tournament rules at all then he was just wrong and made a bad call.

Reading through the official FAQ it clearly isn't discussed anywhere.

DenWhalen
23-01-2011, 13:12
Worst part of it was that neither PurpleSun nor myself asked for a ruling. The judge randomly wandered by, asked how things were going and PS told him about the spell that had just wrecked his general's unit. The judge then made an unsolicited ruling.

Trikk
23-01-2011, 13:24
Worst part of it was that neither PurpleSun nor myself asked for a ruling. The judge randomly wandered by, asked how things were going and PS told him about the spell that had just wrecked his general's unit. The judge then made an unsolicited ruling.

Well, that's what referees do in sports so it's not that strange. The actual ruling itself is also fine if it's written down somewhere in the tournament rules. It's the justification that's strange because it doesn't seem to be true.

tmarichards
23-01-2011, 13:54
It's not in any GW FAQ, but a lot of UK tournaments are starting to implement this ruling. For the better I say.

It was only a matter of time before comp started to kick in, about time really...

PurpleSun
23-01-2011, 15:09
This is the FAQ entry that he was probably thinking of:

Q: Does the ‘Look Out Sir’ special rule apply against all spells that
use templates? (p93)
A: Yes.

Maybe he mis-remembered that and thought that it meant all spells that target a unit or something like that.