PDA

View Full Version : Dreads in a deathwing army

Dark Aly
23-01-2011, 10:14
First of all let me apologise if this is in the wrong forum. the question relates to background, painting and gaming so I wasn't sure where it should belong and so I opted for general.

Are all deathwing dreadnoughts venerable?

Would it be ok for none venerable dreads to be painted bone so they match my army? I use a 'pure' deathwing army and don't have much green apart from as a spot colour.

sometimes my list includes two ven. dreads and sometimes one 'normal' dread but never a combination of the two so this should help to avoid confusion for my opponent.

So would you find it acceptable if I told you before the game that my venerable dreadnought model all painted in bone was actually a standard dreadnought?

Thankyou in advance

MasterGideon
23-01-2011, 10:38
As far as background goes, all Deathwing Dreadnaughts are venerable (well technically you could argue shouldnt Dreadnaughts all be venerable?, seeming they are all legends of the chapter who have been honoured to be entombed in a dreadnaught, but anyway)

I for one have 9 Dreadnaughts, all but 3 are not bone white. but as far as I can recall even the back ground it doesnt state the colour of the dreadnaughts, but I could be wrong be nice if someone could point me to where it is. :)

But Yes it should be fine, aslong as you tell your the other player that the dreadnaught is venerable or not before the game I dont see any problems.

MasterGideon

Bunnahabhain
23-01-2011, 15:22
Unless you have a venerable and normal dread, with the same weapons fit, same paint scheme, and same modelling, in the same army, I can't see the problem.

Frankly, any Dread, Deathwing or not, could reasonably be venerable.

Although if I was doing it, I'd just add a removable banner pole, so you can simply say dreads with banners =venerable, no banner = normal, or run them however you like when there is no need to distinguish between dreads...

Clang
23-01-2011, 20:13
Even in White Dwarf, we've seen green painted Deathwing vehicles and bone painted Deathwing vehicles. I've even seen them painted a combination of green and bone. Whatever works for you...

Perfect Organism
23-01-2011, 20:42
I don't think there's anything to indicate that all deathwing dreads are venerable. If a deathwing terminator gets maimed and stuck in a dread, he's only a newbie by dread standards, but surely he's still a member of the deathwing?

shabbadoo
24-01-2011, 01:06
Sure is, and Dreadnoughts are usually attached to the Companies they serve in while fully functional. As all Companies have Dreadnoughts, that right there tells us that not all Dreadnoughts are Deathwing Dreadnoughts. Also, Deathwing status is not what denotes Venerable status, but how long the Dreadnought has been in service. You can have a Deathwing Dreadnought or a Deathwing Venerable Dreadnought.

mughi3
24-01-2011, 04:45
A littel clarification on the matter fluff wise from the 4th ed(newest) codex-
dreads can be upgraded to venerable denoting service in the deathwing and are painted bone white.

Basically if it isn't deathwing it isn't venerable.

Even in White Dwarf, we've seen green painted Deathwing vehicles and bone painted Deathwing vehicles. I've even seen them painted a combination of green and bone. Whatever works for you...

Sounds to me like your mixing the core dark angels deathwing with the successor chapters-angels of absolution (everything is painted bone white from tac squads to rhinos)
and angels of redemption-bisected green/bone paint scheme.

dblaz3r
24-01-2011, 07:43
...Although if I was doing it, I'd just add a removable banner pole, so you can simply say dreads with banners =venerable, no banner = normal...

I really like this idea and think I'll run with it. Thanks for the inspiration Bunnahabhain :).

As for colour, I have my battle company dreads painted green and am going to go with bone for my Deathwing dreads. I just think it looks more coherent but I'm funny like that.

Captain Semper
24-01-2011, 09:44
I recall a time when only Deathwing Terminator armour was bone white. All Deathwing vechicles, dreadnoughts or members of the Deathwing in power armour were, well, green... I still go by that.

Dark Aly
24-01-2011, 10:02
@ captain semper when was that? I've only been playing dark angels since 3rd and can't remember too much (even then it was only ravenwing and so was only interested in part of the fluff)

Captain Semper
25-01-2011, 06:53
Sorry for the late reply... In the "Angels of Death" Codex (back in 1996 I think) it was mentioned that Deathwing painted their Terminator armour white - no mention of anything else. Also there were no pictures in the color section of other white colored assets in this Codex nor -as far as I can recall- in the White Dwarfs of that era. At some point this changed - I recall an amazing bone white Land Raider presented in White Dwarf much later... Mind you I have no objection to having all Deathwing associated vechicles bone white (although white power armour for non-terminator Deathwing members I think is too much). I just prefer this unique feature to apply to terminators only... Besides painting white was never my strong point :). Come to think of it, that was the reason I changed to Disciples of Caliban...