PDA

View Full Version : 3000 points of Empire

Reiksmarshal
23-01-2011, 09:54
Well this is a list ive been playing with in 8th ed since mid summer and its been doing pretty well :) Any advice on it at all??

Empire Army List 3000pts(new edition)

Lord 1 Kurt Helborg 325

1 Balthasar Gelt 400

Heroes 1 Warrior Priest 154
Great Weapon
Terryfying mask of eee!
Sigil of Sigmar
Heavy Armour
Shield
Barded Warhorse

Core 40 Swordsmen 265
Full Command
20 Halberdiers 100

40 Swordsmen 265
Full Command
20 Halberdiers Detachment 100

10 Handgunners 80

10 Handgunners 80

10 Handgunners 80

10 Handgunners 80

Special
20 Greatswords 230
Full Command

5 Pistoliers 107
Outrider
Repeater Pistol

16 Knightly Orders 404
Full Command
Inner Circle Knights
Standard of Arcane Warding

1 Cannon 100

Rare

1 Hellblaster Volley Gun 110

1 Hellstorm Rocket Battery 115

Total 2999

martijn
23-01-2011, 11:16
hey, what exactely is your plan with this army?

and why such a big unit of knights?
also, on what size board are you playing this? I mean, if it's the normal standard 6-4 foor table, why bother taking fast cavalary? they wouldn't have the room to do what they do best.

and is this a friendly list for a specific opponent or a take on all commers list?

gorbad
23-01-2011, 13:02
no steam tank?

Novrain
23-01-2011, 13:19
no bsb?

--------> Characters for the Character God!!!

Reiksmarshal
23-01-2011, 14:48
okay the knights are their for 16 strength 6 hits rerolling misses + helborgs auto wounding no saves. They generally go straight for the biggest baddest thing in the enemy list and plough right through them. Theyre stubborn and immun to psych and have a 4+ ward against magic. But simply theyre a big steamroller that doesnt die. I do agree with the lack of a bsb but i generally find that i get rather lucky with my dice so for the moment it stays out :P I hate the steam tank. It die sto easily. Lore of metal wrecks it and after it takes a couple of wounds it cant generate enoug steam points to work effectively. I find it does well against all comers. Its beaten ogres skaven orcs and goblins beastmen warriors of Chaos brettonians and vampirs. And its only ever lost once and that was to a local GW staff member. The fast cav does generally work cause they just shoot stuff flee and key units get taken out of place.

Torpedo Vegas
23-01-2011, 19:06
Balthasar is a crappy lord choice, go with a lvl 4 wizard, trick him out however you like. A BSB is a must, really. 20 Greatswords won't kill much, I'd drop them for some more artillery, maybe a mortar or two. 16 Inner Circle knoights make a very juicy target, maybe split them in two?

You say you are doing good, but based on this list, I get the feeling that your local meta is a bit..odd. What sort of armies do your regular opponents run?

Reiksmarshal
23-01-2011, 19:38
Gelt is awesome. with +6 to cast, all of lore of metal and a 3+ ward save he dominates magic against anything less than teclis. regular opponents include WoC, Orcs and Goblins and Skaven

Tigranius
23-01-2011, 19:46
Hi,

I like the list, accept the knights. To be honest i wouldn´t go for such a big block. I would say see if you can swop your knights for at least a BSB and maybe a SteamTank or go for some artillery and more protection for it.

I have never used Kurt Hell-thingy. Personally i rarely use cavalery in my armies anymore. Sometimes as an extra threath arround the sides, but never as a main assault unit. But then again i am more of a defensive player.

Best of luck with your list :)

Tigranius

Novrain
24-01-2011, 15:07
Seriously dude, a BSB is absolutely essential for empire in 8th.

Drop one set of Handgunners and get one in that list, somethign like BSB with AoMI will make your list much much stronger.

Torpedo Vegas
25-01-2011, 17:44
Seriously dude, a BSB is absolutely essential for empire in 8th.

Drop one set of Handgunners and get one in that list, somethign like BSB with AoMI will make your list much much stronger.

Gotta agree with this.

Reiksmarshal
25-01-2011, 21:01
Okay ill get the bsb in but ill drop 8 halberds off each detachment instead of the gunners maybe?

Torpedo Vegas
25-01-2011, 21:06
You have sufficient dakka as is, drop a handgunners unit for a BSB. Hell, I'd drop two hand gunner units, get a BSB and a mortar, make the other two detachments.

Jericho
25-01-2011, 22:02
Gotta make sure you have enough compulsory Core... I'm pretty sure all detachments are ineligible for the 25% core requirement. You'd need 220 points on top of those Swordsmen to make it work.

Anyway. Gelt is neat, and if you play a lot of WoC then yes he can zap a lot of their pricey units fairly easily. But I think you can do better for the 400 points. A reasonably well equipped L4 is still 100 points cheaper than him and that right there will buy you a BSB w/ Armor of Meteoric Iron.

I'd try to beef those Greatswords up to 30 as well, if possible. 10 Handgunners would get you almost all the way there.

At the end of the day it's entirely up to you, and if you are able to make something work reliably for you then go ahead and keep proving us all wrong.

Reiksmarshal
26-01-2011, 20:21
But Gelt does have 7 spells which is three more than a level four will get me

RanaldLoec
26-01-2011, 20:35
A steam tank is not essential.

It's refreshing to see a nice big unit of knights.

No BSB very brave.

I like Kurt Helborg he may not have a ward but he is awesome for gaining a big combat res, runefang + laurels of victory = Awesome.

I would add more greatswords 30 is a nice number. ( I have 80 ;) split into 2 units).

You may find swapping out a few handgunners for crossbowmen is handy for that 1st turn shooting phase that handgunners spend picking their noses and mooning at the enemy.

Lord Solar Plexus
27-01-2011, 10:44
Reiksmarshal, if your list has worked for you for over half a year against a variety of opponents, why change it in the first place? In your shoes, I would not give a dime to conventional internet wisdom. Much of what is being repeated is true but some aspects will become a mantra.

Take a Steam Tank for example: I did take one in the last two games. The first died on turn two to a Doomwheel. The second died on turn 4 to Slaves. Hey-ho. If someone brings Metal or Cracks Call or any Ini test, it's gone.

In the same vein, knights ARE good. Of course the unit needs to be bigger than last year and yes, 16 + an expensive character are a tempting target for every cannon and caster out there but I've had very good success with knights as well, much more so than with my infantry.