PDA

View Full Version : Fanatics again!

Judochop
23-01-2011, 16:27
Just want to know, can you finish your move over a fanatic without charging them? 8th edition says you cant move within 1 inch of a unit wihout declaring a charge.

My friend plays vamps and uses his wraiths to finish his normal movement over the top of them. (without charging) The fanatics cant harm the wraiths but then just die? Is this legal?

tmarichards
23-01-2011, 16:41
As far as I can see, yes.

If you want to start using the 1" rule with fanatics, they will technically never do damages as they don't charge... I think they're almost certainly an exception to this rule.

Ultimate Life Form
23-01-2011, 16:43
"Ack! Ack! Ack! Can't hit it!"

*dies from heart attack*

AMWOOD co
23-01-2011, 19:01
The Fanatic's Splat! rule overrides the 1" rule. Start at "Units may move...". As for stopping on Fanatics, it is implied when one combines Splat! with the third bullet of Out of Control.

theorox
23-01-2011, 19:12
The Fanatic's Splat! rule overrides the 1" rule. Start at "Units may move...". As for stopping on Fanatics, it is implied when one combines Splat! with the third bullet of Out of Control.

That. :)

Theo

Grimgormx
25-01-2011, 00:04
You cant declare a Charge against a fanatic, only way to kill them is shooting, magic, or with a lot of bodies, its rules lets you step over them, just taking the damage. (2d6)

TheYoungin
26-01-2011, 02:54
You cant declare a Charge against a fanatic, only way to kill them is shooting, magic, or with a lot of bodies, its rules lets you step over them, just taking the damage. (2d6)

This is true but you can finish your move on a fanatic, you will take the normal D6 strength 5 hit then you will take an additional D6 strength 5 hit because of the death throes rule. You can find it on page 25 of the orc codex.

Damocles8
26-01-2011, 04:19
"Ack! Ack! Ack! Can't hit it!"

*dies from heart attack*

ULF wins again....

AMWOOD co
26-01-2011, 05:22
Alright, followup question:

When dealing with small/weak units (eg. a detachment of 5 Free Company), do you work out damage for moving into contact with the fanatic first, and then damage from the unit stopping? That is, can the fanatic kill a unit before the unit has a chance to stop on the fanatic and kill it?

I'm not sure how this one should go. I'm leaning towards 'kill the fanatic first and the unit takes 2D6', but I'm not certain.

TheYoungin
26-01-2011, 06:38
Alright, followup question:

When dealing with small/weak units (eg. a detachment of 5 Free Company), do you work out damage for moving into contact with the fanatic first, and then damage from the unit stopping? That is, can the fanatic kill a unit before the unit has a chance to stop on the fanatic and kill it?

I'm not sure how this one should go. I'm leaning towards 'kill the fanatic first and the unit takes 2D6', but I'm not certain.

I'm not 100% sure, but I am fairly sure that the fanatic could kill the unit.
Okay for example you have an unit of five archers, the fanatic kills three then the movement is done, then the fanatic will get to preform his death throes.

So to answer your question you first take the original hits that the fanatic would cause, if that completely kills the unit then the fanatic survives, because theoretically the unit didn't finish it's movement yet it only just came into contact with the fanatic.

I hope this helps clear up your question.

Mid'ean
26-01-2011, 11:31
Actually if you read the very last dot on fanatics it says " Any unit that finishes it's move over a fanatic. The unit takes D6 S5 hits for moving into the fanatic, and a further D6 S5 hits in the fanatics death throes."

To me that reads that you are taking both hits at the same time. You move onto the fanatic and end your move. Taking 2D6 hits.

Masque
26-01-2011, 20:03
I'm pretty sure the fanatic dies regardless of what happens to the unit.

Here's a related question: Does the unit take 2d6 hits or does it take 1d6 hits then another 1d6 hits. This could matter for very small units whether or not the champion or any characters take the hits.

TMATK
26-01-2011, 20:07
I play it that a unit takes d6 when it first touches the fanatics, panic test if necessary, then it can finish it's move over the fanatic taking a further d6 and killing it.

TheYoungin
26-01-2011, 21:26
I play it that a unit takes d6 when it first touches the fanatics, panic test if necessary, then it can finish it's move over the fanatic taking a further d6 and killing it.

I agree with this.

Synnister
27-01-2011, 01:24
Hopefully the sort the fanatic out in the AB.

Mid'ean
27-01-2011, 02:22

You can play it that way but that's not how it works. The rules do not tell you to stop your movement, roll D6 and then continue with your movement. If your intention is to stop on the fanatic the rule is pretty clear. You take a total of 2D6 hits when you touch him and you stop your movement on him.

TMATK
27-01-2011, 03:16
You can play it that way but that's not how it works. The rules do not tell you to stop your movement, roll D6 and then continue with your movement. If your intention is to stop on the fanatic the rule is pretty clear. You take a total of 2D6 hits when you touch him and you stop your movement on him.

The unit takes d6 hits for moving into the fanatic, and a further d6 str 5 hits in the fanatic's death throes.

I interpret "moving into" as touching.

If a unit wanted to move or charge through a fanatic, it would stop on contact and take its hits and then continue. I figure moving on top of them is the same deal.

Note there is no 2d6 mentioned, it's d6 and d6.

I'm not saying your definitely wrong, but the wording of the rules don't back what you're saying as clearly as you think.

Regardless, not much point arguing it as the new book will be out in a few weeks.

TheYoungin
27-01-2011, 06:51
I think this is more or less how it would play out:

Ere tey com 'hithit'
Then it could either go to:
gnagna yaaa gots em whus next
or:
raaaaaah killd' sum, hit again befor dead!

This clers everything up. :P