PDA

View Full Version : Skaven boost

Karolinen
23-01-2011, 18:39
Igot the "blood island" skaven troops and want to continue whith this army.
What should I use now? More rats or warmashines or...?
Is the "battalion box" a good idea?

Ultimate Life Form
23-01-2011, 18:51
More rats. Can't ever go wrong with that. More rats.

But what type of rat exactly depends on what you want, as the choices seem limitless... I suggest getting the army book and giving it a thorough read. After that you should have a good idea what the army is capable of and where you want to take it.

Therefore, it is a bit difficult to help you. For example, I would recommend the Batallion as it's one of the best out there, but if you're not gonna use the Rat Ogres and Plague Monks eventually it's a big waste of money.

A few extra boxes of Clanrats however never hurt, and you need Slaves. A lot. I mean a lot. It is a good idea to start pondering which models you want to use as Slaves.

As for the Warmachines, they are an integral part of the army and add the badly needed punch. However the backbone of the army are big Core blocks. You could however try and go Skryre-heavy, which basically means shooting and Magic. It's really your choice...

Bubbasan
23-01-2011, 20:31
1) Unless your particular group plays with special characters, Stormvermin are not a good beginning option.
2) Weapon teams are nasty especially warpfire throwers and poisoned wind mortars which you should have with the IOB.
3) If your playing 2k+ games then a hell pit abomination is a must. Less than that definitely a doomwheel or both :D
4) Warplightning cannons are cheap and have great potential.
5) Take the little rats from the batallion box, IOB, etc and make units of Giant Rats. . . clanrats with swiftstride that fight in 3 ranks. . . they are a lot of fun and cheap
6) Mostly stick to giant rats, slaves, and clanrats for core
Good luck and welcome to the horde! Msg me anytime with any questions! :D

bambamBIGILO
24-01-2011, 02:14
Well for any shaven army you need more rats. A guy on eBay sells them in 80 sets I picked up 2 lots for a dollar each rat. Think he's discount games store. Do a search he has allot of good deal.

vorthain
24-01-2011, 04:05
Actually, shaven armies tend to have less troops than the unshaven. I kid. I'm doing the latter of ULF's Skaven builds, one with a lot of weapon teams along with a Grey Seer. I picked up two Island of Blood kits from eBay, a Doomwheel, and hopefully some Stormvermin to convert into Globadiers and Skryre-themed Gutter Runners (plog in sig). That'll give me 80 Clanrats in 1500-1750 point games, which tends to be on the lighter side.

Bubbasan
24-01-2011, 04:38
My current 2500pt list contains 365 models

Karolinen
24-01-2011, 17:29
I think I go for a Clan Moulder brotherhood. I will add more clanrats (1-2) , more ratogres, some giant rats, maybe some swarms and the hell pit.

How do you use ratogres? One big unit?

vorthain
24-01-2011, 20:32
I'm used 4 and it works well, but I've heard 6 is a nice number.