PDA

View Full Version : Cracks call and characters?

big squig
23-01-2011, 22:23
Do characters get a look out sir roll from cracks call (skaven spell)? Cracks call isn't really all that specific, it doesn't use a template really, and it's not a normal shooting attack. You could argue it uses the cannon template, but it's not a cannon, and the cannon rules say that the strait line template is special for cannons only.

Havock
23-01-2011, 22:37
Isn't LOS for any attack that does not roll to hit normally and does not 'pick out' characters specifically?

big squig
23-01-2011, 23:19
Isn't LOS for any attack that does not roll to hit normally and does not 'pick out' characters specifically?

Look out sir says specifically shooting attacks that use templates.

H33D
23-01-2011, 23:27
So yes, you get a LoS roll. The BRB says magic follows all of the rules for shooting (except the roll to hit part), and that each spell has its own exceptions. Cannons, the Penumbral Pendulum and Crack's Call are all examples of effects that use a 'line' template. There is absolutely no reason you don't get a LoS roll.

Lord Inquisitor
23-01-2011, 23:30
But specifically includes cannons as an example of units with templates :rolleyes:

I personally regard any attack that strikes along a line in the same manner as a bouncing cannonball as a form of template attack, so provides a Look Out Sir roll.

big squig
24-01-2011, 04:07
It's just that the cannon rules say the line template is a special type of template for cannons only. That's where we got confused.

I think you guys are right, it's just really not clear.

PeG
24-01-2011, 13:05
a lot of skaven players tends to interpret the writing about cannons only as there is no LOS for cracks call. Rules are not obvious although my personal opinion is that it should allow a LOS (and so should some other spells that clearly doesnt today).

OP characters should be fixed in other ways then introducing an easy way to kill them.

TMATK
24-01-2011, 15:10
The rules may not spell it out, but you draw a line and hit everything along that line; that's clearly using a template.

Nate668
25-01-2011, 17:20
I play skaven, and I would definitely allow LOS rolls for that spell. If a cannon uses a "template" then so does cracks call. Plus, it makes more sense for a hero to avoid a crack in the ground than it does for them to avoid a cannonball.

jaxom
25-01-2011, 17:27
Technically there is no text to make a straight line into a template since they felt that it was necessary to write a special paragraph to make a Cannon shot a template and then they used specific enough wording that it can't be applied to anything else.

That said, my feel has always been that if it looks like a duck and it quacks like a duck then it is probably a duck. I've always called any straight line (including Burning Head) a template and allowed LoS against it.

scruffyryan
25-01-2011, 18:10
Frankly if LOS was just rewritten to apply to all shooting and magic a lot of the issues people have with 8th ed would be resolved.

Malorian
25-01-2011, 18:52
Frankly if LOS was just rewritten to apply to all shooting and magic a lot of the issues people have with 8th ed would be resolved.

Frankly if players just tried to kill characters in combat the good old fashioned way and not cowardly try and snipe them with magic a lot of the issues people have with 8th ed would be resolved.

scruffyryan
25-01-2011, 19:33
Frankly if players just tried to kill characters in combat the good old fashioned way and not cowardly try and snipe them with magic a lot of the issues people have with 8th ed would be resolved.

That would be your opinion, I personally have no problem with characters being killed in phases other than the close combat phase, there ARE 2 other "combat" phases in the game after all. Frankly I found the fact that the only reliable way to kill characters in the game being close combat and thus chaos lords and invulnerable dark elf lords rule all to be pretty lame.

TrojanWolf
27-01-2011, 00:27
I see no reason why characters shouldn't get LOS against Cracks Call. That's how I've always played it, since it's a ranged attack that can be used to pick out characters.

Awfully funny when a HE Archmage (acting as general) fails his LOS, then fails his I test though. :D

Single combat? Skaven? :D

big squig
27-01-2011, 18:28
I see no reason why characters shouldn't get LOS against Cracks Call. That's how I've always played it, since it's a ranged attack that can be used to pick out characters.

Awfully funny when a HE Archmage (acting as general) fails his LOS, then fails his I test though. :D

Single combat? Skaven? :D

Well, RAI yes, it would seem they do. But RAW written it would seem characters don't get a save.

TrojanWolf
27-01-2011, 20:40
Well, RAI yes, it would seem they do. But RAW written it would seem characters don't get a save.

Fair enough. I just had a look over the FAQ as well, and it makes me sad that they had to answer the question about Master Moulders being in the front rank twice but haven't managed to fit this in anywhere.