PDA

View Full Version : Night Goblins Advice please!

Gen.RifulasDykes
24-01-2011, 00:13
Hello Denizens of Warseer..!

I have become before ye all to ask for tactical advice and guidance in regard to how currently a Night Goblin themed army works in the current 8th ed. I use to play them for fun during 7th but then I took a break and focused more on 40k, but i've grown abit dull now and thought it about time with the new Armybook coming I dust off the fun little buggers and put them back into action :). Checked the tactica threads in the stick but both seem to be ancient and outdated now so thought i'd ask myself :/

Things I wanted to note in addition to this though, is that there is certain things I don't use as I feel they're out of character for Night Goblins, I won't use Orcs of any kind, in addition to no war machines with the except for Spear Chukkas since people seem to want to beat into me they're absolutely essential and it's a stretch that I can at least imagine is feasible to operate and move around and out of the caves. :P And finally, no Giants! (Though I will be happily cuddling the new Arachnok \o/ Gigantic cave spiders ftw!).

So yea! I have come here seeking advice and tips on things such as what is optimal size and formation of Night Gobbo blocks in 8th? Are masses of Bowmen useful? Do Squig Hoppers serve any purpose anymore? Is Skarsnik still useful? Warboss or Great Shaman or Both? Etc etc.

Look forward to reading all your contributions :) I will change any restrictions I put on myself if you can give me a characterful reason to convert/fit it in but I like theme over sheer cold calculated efficiency, but I still like to try and make an army still somewhat competative too. :)

Turtleking
24-01-2011, 01:22
When I have the new book in my hand, I can offer decent advise.

My plan has always been, the more gobos and less orcs I run the better my dice will roll. But you may not consider that a viable tactic....

Squig Hoppers hit hard, but are kind of glass cannons.
Shamans over warboss, because I tend to see Wagh doing better then dmg in a all goblin army. But who knows what the new rules will bring.

DaemonReign
24-01-2011, 01:52
So yea! I have come here seeking advice and tips on things such as what is optimal size and formation of Night Gobbo blocks in 8th? Are masses of Bowmen useful? Do Squig Hoppers serve any purpose anymore? Is Skarsnik still useful? Warboss or Great Shaman or Both? Etc etc.

- The optimal size for a unit depends. I'd say somewhere between 60-80 Goblins is where you'll usually land with night gobbos. All those cheap wounds is their main strength.

- If you play All Goblin then masses of bowmen might be necessary. I don't know. I only play against mixed OnG forces.

- Squig Hoppers are not exactly great in this Edition. Good for hunting Warmachines and lone characters of course. No huge difference from 7th really. Haven't seen them around much but what I can tell you is that Squit Herders are awesome in 8th Ed. Don't leave home without a horde of them..

- Don't play with Special Characters personally so I have no idea what Skarsnik or anyone else of them does or what they're good for.

- You characters are cheap and expendible as far as I am concerned. Take enough of them to last.

scruffyryan
24-01-2011, 01:56
40 of them, 5X8 with nets and a rank of night goblin bosses with great weapons in the front is the best way to take units of night goblins.

bambamBIGILO
24-01-2011, 03:21
If your looking for good tactics. The last winner of the auzie masters was a goblin player, only concession was he took a goblin warboss.
I don't remember his name, but podhammer's last episode was about his experience at the masters.
If I remember he had 2 big blocks with nets. A couple small bowmen blocks with fanatics. 2 large 30 blocks of squig herds,( which just rock currently), and a couple pump wagons to. But u should listen to that episode it's free at least.

russellmoo
24-01-2011, 04:50
40-50 seems like a good number- Also- you no longer really have to choose between warboss or shaman- you have the points take both- at 3000 you can take 2 of each-

Also, character spam makes any unit of goblins good- just take about 10 big bosses with only great weapons and stick 5 of them in whatever unit you want to actually kill the enemy with (or you could put all ten of them in one unit but I think this is pure cheese) of course the beauty of having all those cheap characters is that you can place them last and just make whatever units you need to more close combat oriented-

Gen.RifulasDykes
24-01-2011, 14:56
Hmm alright, guessing due to same reason as Squig Hoppers being extremely squishy and only an "average" initiative, Spider Riders aren't good for much more except war machine hunting and short bow harassing? :(

BigbyWolf
24-01-2011, 15:29
Hmm alright, guessing due to same reason as Squig Hoppers being extremely squishy and only an "average" initiative, Spider Riders aren't good for much more except war machine hunting and short bow harassing? :(

Spider riders get benefits with moving through terrain, so there is an argument for taking them as well as wolf riders.

Slayerthane
24-01-2011, 16:44
I would try and find some way to fit in trolls, maybe a block of 6 run 3x2. They can dish out a ton of damage since 8th has new rules for monstrous infantry. Each troll in the front rank gets D3 impact hits, second ranks (each rank only needs to be 3 models for monstrous infantry) can also attack with all their attacks, and then all models in the unit get an auto-hit stomp attack. If all trolls make their attacks, you're looking at 3xD3 str4 hits on impact, 6 stomp attacks at str4, and 18 str5 attacks. Pair these guys up with some NGs with nets, and that's a nasty combo charge.

Also since goblin bosses are so cheap, you can get multiple goblin warbosses to babysit units for that valuable 8 leadership. Trolls rolling stupidity on leadership 8 isn't half bad, if a goblin warboss joins the unit. Also look at the common magic items too, there are a bunch of these that can be really useful for any army including gobbos.

If you want to include chariots, you can just model them being pulled by squigs. You can probably get away with spider rider cavalry for a subterranean theme.

Harwammer
24-01-2011, 17:17
@slayerthane: Isn't it just 1 hit per MI(troll) in base contact from stomp, not d3 impact hits? I think it's just Beastmen minotaurs and Ogre Kingdom ogres that can do impact hits on the charge.

Slayerthane
26-01-2011, 17:31
@Harwammer: You're right, trolls don't get the d3 impact hits and only those trolls in base contact get to stomp.

Regardless, when paired up with nets, that means that strength 3 units will wound the trolls on 6+, while trolls will on average kill 5/6 of the opponents unit. Also, if nets backfire and you roll a 1, I'm pretty sure the reduction in strength only affects the night goblin unit, not the trolls.

minionboy
26-01-2011, 18:09
My best advice is that even if you're making a Night Goblin themed army, unless you're using Skarsnik, be sure to use a Common Goblin Warboss, that LD bonus will make a huge difference.

Crovax20
26-01-2011, 18:41
I am very pleased with my squig herders... squig hoppers are a lot less usefull unless you are up against someone with low iniative value's.

Pwah don't listen to these common goblin warboss tips. They ain't NIGHT GOBLINS! And if you play night goblins you can easily permit a standard bearer and be steadfast at ld7. Which means you pretty much got a high chance of making LD tests. I know I have yet to fail any with my reroll ability

Gen.RifulasDykes
26-01-2011, 23:27
Thanks for all your tips and bits of advice so far to all of you who have taken the time to repond! ^^

I use to play with good old Skarsnik and Gobbla, my favourite duo in all of the Old World! But under 8th Ed he seems to have suffered to me :/ Doesn't get Look Out Sir anymore, and considering his wide base and the new stepping up rules, along with his points cost and his only protection being T4 and a 6+ ARMOUR save :/ Sure he has 6 wounds but.. he's no harder to kill than 3 Big Bosses. Besides.. seems you need to take a Great Shammy these days and Skarsnik + a great shammy is coming on easily 400-500 points alone for just those two probably.

So! Squig Herds, trolls and bowmen still have their purposes then! With regards to Spider Riders then.. i'm assuming due to same squishy issues as with Squigs, if I wished to take spider riders for anything beyond war machine hunting and light harassing, i'd need a great deal more than 10 in a unit due to low initiative and thus probably easily losing their rank requirement when attempting to make any flanking denial move?

Also with regards to characters.. aside from Big Bosses wielding GW's, what is best way to gear out a gobbo Warboss and BSB? I was contemplating for BSB giving it the Poison banner and sticking it in a bunker support unit of massed archers to run close by in support of the infantry blocks, but Warboss i'm not too sure what to do with, stick him in the bunker too or gear him for helping the combat gobbo blocks do some mincing?

bambamBIGILO
26-01-2011, 23:45
Character build should be defensive, death spells are to good at sniping them out. I would drop a magic banner on the BSB in favor of defense. BSB's are to valuable to leave with a 5+ armor save.

Slayerthane
27-01-2011, 16:01
Quick question about squig herds, and I apologize in advance for hijacking this discussion, but why are they still seen as good while hoppers have suffered under 8th?

Gen.RifulasDykes
27-01-2011, 17:19
I think it's primarily that while a hunting team is twice the cost of a hopper, you get 3 squigs and 2 goblins for it, so basically you can mass them in units of like 6 or more hunting teams and while they'll take some casualties due to only average initiative, they will still pack some hitting power due to Stepping Up rule, while Hoppers are extremely costly while being just as fragile and only having 10 max in a mob.

w3rm
27-01-2011, 18:57
Night goblin units need to be huge to make up for the fact that everyone will be killing them. I run one unit of 67 with 3 bosses w/ gw in there for some punch. Take a NG warboss with the wizard hat, a level 4 a level 2, a bsb. Put these guys in a unit behind your line in a bunker unit. Then spend the rest on cheap big bosses and massive blocks of NG with nets and FC. They need to be at least 50 or they will suffer massive casualties.

Gen.RifulasDykes
28-01-2011, 06:21
Well, I put together a rough 2,000pt army list as the base beginning point for my gobbos then and this is what i've come up with so far! Feel free to make suggestions on things to change, also had points spare I left as i'm still not sure how to gear the great shammy and warboss still.

Lords:
Night Goblin Warboss

Night Goblin Great Shaman
Level 4

Heroes:
6x Night Goblin Big Boss
Light Armour, Great Weapon

Night Goblin BSB

Night Goblin Shaman
Level 2, Dispell Scroll

Core:
2x 50 Night Goblins
Nets, Full Command

2x 20 Night Goblins
Short Bows, Musician

Speical:
2x Night Goblin Squig Herd
6 Hunting Teams

3x Spear Chukkas

Rare:
6 Trolls

Total: 1864pts
Spare: 136pts

Yowzo
28-01-2011, 10:12
Quick question about squig herds, and I apologize in advance for hijacking this discussion, but why are they still seen as good while hoppers have suffered under 8th?

Hoppers are useless because they suffer from low I and at 15 pts a pop are expensive. I'll just field them against lizards for this reason as I3 and T3 means they usually won't hit back.

Herds are cheaper (3 squig + 2 gobbos for the price of two hoppers) and also have the potential of inflicting D6 hits when broken (and that happens often).