PDA

View Full Version : Computer Troubles

Leviathan
29-05-2005, 20:11
Hello,

I need help with those of you in the technical know-how about P.C and their many foibles.

I'm having a problem with my display, I'm geting these weird ghostly lines that echo the edges of my windows, icons and even fonts such as the ones I am typing now.

It's almost like a repeated image of whats being displayed only very light, almost transparent but also painfully noticable once you know they are there.
I first noticed it when playing on WoW and realised that there was a very thin, almost transparent line down the length of my screen, not quite in the centre.

Now I've noticed it everywhere- it's a very strange distortion that always appears around the right edges of whatever its 'echoing'.

Any ideas or is my monitor busted? :confused:

Cheesejoff
29-05-2005, 20:22
Try updating your directX, updating your graphics card drivers too. That's all I can think of. Apart from that there's not much you can do.

Fusion
29-05-2005, 22:34
Hello there, Levi. Your monitor isn't next to any powerlines is it? My room is on the 2nd floor of our house, right next to overhead powerlines. It makes my monitor shake like crazy man, and I found that household tin foil sort of helps. God knows what it's doing to my head...

Leviathan
30-05-2005, 09:34
Hello,

There's nothing I can think of that would disrupt or cause interferance- such as magnetics- nearby, no.

I will try updating my graphics drivers but I don't know if that's specifically the problem.

Switching on my machine today has made me realise that it's not as bad sometimes, where as at other times it looks terrible. The line down the screen is still there always though.

This reminds me of something my moniter does from time to time- the display garbles and disrupts on ocaisions, shortly after start-up. A re-start always fxes that problem but this problem dosn't seem to want to go away in that same manner.

I'll keep an eye on this thread, see if anyone has any ideas as to what the hell this is.

Wiseman
30-05-2005, 11:26
your monitor is possessed by ghosts, or maybe its just time to get a new one.

Talkie Toaster
30-05-2005, 11:33
your monitor is possessed by ghosts, or maybe its just time to get a new one.
Most likely the ghost of Richard Nixon. (http://www.bbspot.com/News/2004/10/nixon_ghost.html)
(Okay, this isn't realy helping but someone had to post it).

alterion
30-05-2005, 17:47
ok in oreder to attempt to help you i need to know more about your monitor.. is it a crt monitor or a tft.. what model is it.. when did the problem start .. what version of windows you are runnig ect.. basically give me as much info as you have got (within reason) and i may be able to help.

Sojourner
30-05-2005, 17:50
In a similar vein, here's another unrelated problem, while there's a thread going.

My computer won't download .exe files from the web. It just hangs at 0.1kb/s for a few inutes, then stops and leaves a useless file fragment. I have:

Used both IE and firefox
Cleaned the cache of both
changed the cache size
with and without firewall
defragmented
scanned for spyware
removed and replaced the network connection
done a windows repair installation in case it was a corrupt system file
fiddled with proxy settings

and nobody else is having the same problem.

alterion
30-05-2005, 17:54
okayy.. you mean it won't download ANY .exe files from the web.. or just a specific one?

Sojourner
30-05-2005, 18:08
Any. From any location.

Sylass
30-05-2005, 18:16
Sounds like some security software blocking the download of *.exe files? Maybe you installed something like that right before it stopped working?

Some virus scanners are known to block the download of exe-files...just a first guess.

Sgt John Keel
30-05-2005, 18:26
Hmm...

Could a degauss possibly work?

/Adrian

Leviathan
30-05-2005, 19:06
Hello,

O.k then, more info coming your way.

My moniter is CRT and is relativly new, less than a year old- in fact I barely got it 6 months ago.

The monitor itself is a 'Relisys' and looking in the display settings in my control pannel it is set as:

'Plug and play monitor on RADEON 9800 PRO Graphics card' set at 32 bit with a res of 1024 by 768.

My OS is Windows XP Home edition.

Any other specifics you need?

And how does degausing work? That's assuming it's related to moniters and display functions. You'll have to forgive me, I'm not a wiz at this. Hence the thread.

Never-the-less, any help you can offer would be greatly apreciated.

If it saves my computer a trip to the shop then I'm happy.

Sgt John Keel
30-05-2005, 19:21
I doubt a degauss works, but enter the menu on the screen and then go to the crossed over magnet. That's degauss. If it doesn't work, it's still fun. :p

/Adrian

Brandir
30-05-2005, 19:26
Your best solution is to buy an Apple Mac.

alterion
30-05-2005, 19:34
okayy.. i would guess that the .exe blocking is either an anti-virus program.. as there are some that do that or the old favorite the virus/ spyware that is trying to protect itslef from being patched byu blocking all downloads.. I doubt it is a graphics fault and tbh my first impression is saadly that your moinor is likley borked If you have not fiddled with nay of its osd settings recenty then i don't see why that should happen otherwise.. luckily ifd it is fairly new it should still be within warrenty.. to confirm this you shuld try and test it on another pc.. DOn't shoot me if this is all wrong but it is my best gestimate

Leviathan
30-05-2005, 19:40
Hello,

Your best solution is to buy an Apple Mac.

I do own an Apple Mac. But that is work, the P.C is play.

I'll try updating my drivers and degausing but if there are no more suggestions to be had then it may be time to yell down the phone.

Luckily, yes it is still under its warantee. ;)

Sojourner
30-05-2005, 20:57
It's not my antivirus, I tried turning it off, still no dice.

Sojourner
31-05-2005, 09:48
I guess nobody has any ideas? ITS have asked me for a trace to one of the sites so i presume it's a technical problem.

alterion
31-05-2005, 10:25
it is a sad fact of life that most pc's will need a reformat every 2-3 years to keep them running well.. i would suggest that this may be one of those times... sorry i can not help you

Oliver
31-05-2005, 10:49
For the person who is trying to download .exe files have you tried downloading other types of files and do they work.

For the person with the monitor id suggest hitting it :D . Ok seriously if your monitor goes directly into the graphics card check that the card is not lose.

Anseur
31-05-2005, 21:47
Leviathan, turn on your PC and keep pressing either the DEL, F1 or F2 key (try all of them if you don't know which one) to get into your PC's BIOS. (A blue and grey screen with setting you dont want to change)

Look at your monitor image there. Is it doing it here? If so, it's nothing software related, and is hardware. If you haven't already, do a degause suggested above on the monitor.

(just go to "save and exit" or similar when done in your BIOS screen)

If this still doesnt work, then somthing is faulty. To find out what, do the following:

Take out your vga cable (big blue one with pins in the end) out the monitor with it switched on. It will briefly give you a message to the effect that its' not plugged in, and may even display a self test image. look at this message or the self test image and see if it has this line you describe, if it does, it's the monitor that's got a fault, if it's not, I would guess it's the graphics card in your PC. From your description I would guess it's most likley to be your monitor.

Sojourner
01-06-2005, 10:01
Well, it seems to be behaving now. I reckon the network firewall was blocking me for some reason - they appear to have fixed this.

Leviathan
01-06-2005, 18:29
Hello,

Anseur: Thanks for the help. I tried the bios thing and I can't see any sign of the lines anywhere, whereas as soon as it boots up into windows then they are back again.

Does this mean that it has to be smething software related or should I try unplugging my monitor aswell.

If it's software then what do you recomend? Should I update my drivers? If so which ones would be most likely help to fix this annoyance?

Anseur
01-06-2005, 18:51
Interesting.

No, I don't think updating the drivers will help.

Try when in windows, to change the resolution your mointor is using down to 800 X 600. (lowest for Xp) Does it do it then? Also, go to the advanced button on display properites (where you change resolution) and go to the monitor tab, here, try changing the screen refresh rate to various numbers. Does it help?

Leviathan
01-06-2005, 23:21
Hello,

Tried all the options.
They didn't make the problem go away although there are afew things in doing so that have affected it.

1. Changing the refresh rate seems to move the line to a different position or make it bend or warp so it is no longer straight.

2. Sometimes the line will be the only thing visably wrong, other times the ghosting effects happens around the edges of all icons and windows ect as described before. The strange part of this is no one setting does this- they all seem to be either better or worse randomly.

There are also another few things I've noticed in paticular after afew days with this phenomenon.

When I start up my comp, sometimes it dosn't look so bad, sometimes it looks crap- and this dosn't stay consistent with time- I've noticed that it sometimes gets worse the longer I'm on my machine, the line will thicken and three others sometimes appear along side it, Or the ghosting effect around the edge of icons will not be there and then it may appear after time.

Another thing is that using some applications appear to effect the line, explorer makes it go bendy sometimes and other times when I move a window with the mouse you can see it bending as you click and drag.

It's hard to notice against black and white backrounds but greys and dull colours make it painfully obvious.

Restarts don't effect it. Even if it started not so bad and went worse restarting dosn't reset it and take it back to how it started.

I havn't installed anything recently to make it do this- only WoW, but it started a week after installation and I can't see the game causing it to do this.

Maybe it's overheating? I dunno- my comp isn't in a very well ventalated area but I've had it months with no problem like this, and as I say it's there as soon as I switch it on, even after its not been off for hours.

What about safe mode? Is it worth running that to see if it appears there?
I'll try running BIOS afew more times to see if it pops up but I'm sure it wasn't there last time, even with my nose to the screen.

And I'm sure it ain't me. I took my crazy pills this morning I know I did :p

Anseur
02-06-2005, 00:05
Right, I'm fairly sure it's your graphics card then. It's probably overheating.

On the off chance it's the monitor, just try the monitor in another PC to be sure, but I think it's the graphics card.

Leviathan
02-06-2005, 00:07
Hello,

God. Damn.

Looks like I'm gonna have to phone the shop then and use the magic 'get out jail free- warantee' :p

This would happen when I become addicted to playing WoW wouldn't it? :p

Edit: Oh and Thanks for the help Anseur. Much apreciated to have someone who knows what the hell the're doing. ;)

Anseur
02-06-2005, 01:27
No Worries. It wouldn't be the same forum if I did come back and post in some PC help threads now and again. :)