PDA

View Full Version : Skaven Horde 2500 points (over half core)

Bubbasan
24-01-2011, 06:44
Core:
20 slaves x8 @ 320
30 Clanrats w/ shields, Mus, SB, Warpfire Thrower @ 217
30 Clanrats w/ shields, Mus, SB, Warpfire Thrower @ 217
30 Clanrats w/ shields, Mus, SB, Poisoned Wind Mortar @ 212
30 Clanrats w/ shields, Mus, SB, Poisoned Wind Mortar @ 212
18 Giant Rats w/ 2 Packmasters @ 70
18 Giant Rats w/ 2 Packmasters @ 70
Special:
7 Plague Censer Bearers @ 112
20 Plague Monks w/ SB, Plague Banner @ 180
Rare:
Hell Pit Abomination @ 235
Doomwheel @ 150
Warp-lightning Cannon @ 90
Hero:
Chieftain, BSB, shield @ 72
Assassin w/ Potion of Strength, Weeping Blade @ 170
Lord:
Warlod on war-litter w/ shield, Talisman of Preservation @ 173

All comments appreciated! :)

fubukii
24-01-2011, 21:21
your units are way way way too small for this edition.

Im not really sure what you hope to acommplish or fit all them on the board?

Skaven units like clanrats should be about 40 in size.
SLaves should be 50
GIant rats can be ok at that size for flanking i suppose
Drop the PCB.
I would add some better magic items, espedcially on your characters, give the warlord a warlock weapon, maybe give the bsb the storm baner?
Monks need to be bigger

You should try to fit in some magic somewhere... even if its just a lvl 2.

Napoleon Blownapart
24-01-2011, 21:23
Merge some blocks and you'll be much better off.

Bubbasan
25-01-2011, 00:08
I understand that large units of slaves are nasty and are the best tar pits available, but I don't think it is a good skaven mentality and honestly I imagine ld10 steadfast slaves will be faq'd away. . . at least I hope. . .

The list doesn't rely upon holding a unit and hammering him with a strong flank attack. Instead it relies upon continuous whittling with weapon team fire and the occasional strong flank attack from doomwheel, hell pit abom, etc. . .

The list easily fits on the board that I assure you.

fubukii
25-01-2011, 01:44
I understand that large units of slaves are nasty and are the best tar pits available, but I don't think it is a good skaven mentality and honestly I imagine ld10 steadfast slaves will be faq'd away. . . at least I hope. . .

The list doesn't rely upon holding a unit and hammering him with a strong flank attack. Instead it relies upon continuous whittling with weapon team fire and the occasional strong flank attack from doomwheel, hell pit abom, etc. . .

The list easily fits on the board that I assure you.

doom wheels are not good combat units, and none of your units are big enough to negate steadfast. the only real hammer unit you have in your list is the HPA. I understand your intention here, i run 2 plague claws, 2 wlc and 2 PWM and i assure you its still not enough to let small units like 20 slaves or 30 clanrats to win vs anything but the weakest of troops. Skaven need to be larger units to take advantage of our special rules such as SIN. the slaves can be decent hammer units in horde mode, 30 str 3 attacks is good for 2 pt models if buffed with bless with filth they become awesome.

Bubbasan
25-01-2011, 03:11
I play with a very competitive group that doesn't really support the extremely cheesy options that are capable with the way 8th ed is set up. Two HPA's, 4 lizard salamanders flame templates, giant 100 point slave tar pits, etc. . .

I have a game planned on Thursday against either a dwarf's players tournament list or a friends tournament High Elf list for the Sooie in Fayetville, AR and if possible I'll make a battle report of it and post the link in here. I hope the army performs well and we'll see.

I appreciate the comments I really do. I just don't like the large blocks of infantry skaven playstyle.

fubukii
25-01-2011, 03:13
So all of your friends run competitive tournament armies but your gonna run a non optimal skaven list? Doesnt quite make sense. but best of luck

Bubbasan
25-01-2011, 03:17
Competitive doesn't translate to cheesy. . .

fubukii
25-01-2011, 03:47
while i agree double HPA is cheesey, making blocks of troops bigger then min sized or big in general for skaven is not cheesey thats how they always played, 8th edition in general is about using infantry in decent sized numbers. Skaven are meant to be hordes and take advantage of this, using 20 man units isnt competitive and is just against the whole way the army works :P

sknich
25-01-2011, 03:53
GW Has had multiple chances to faq away SiN from steadfast and they haven't. Thus it is their intention for it to be so. Think about it this way. Skaven are incredibly cowardly when alone, but when massed together in huge formations they are even braver than a human. Thats the way GW is looking at it. In fact an faq is what established SiN stacking. Its not cheesy to go with a main Skaven tactic since second edition. Large units have aways been the tactic, an now more so with the BRB making large blocks of infantry the most important part of the game.

Bubbasan
25-01-2011, 03:55
Just because Skaven is a horde army doesn't mean the units have to be in horde formation
I don't mind large blocks of Skaven but ld10 slaves seems a bit much. . .

sknich
25-01-2011, 03:57
I never said put them in horde formation. I would actually argue against it, except maybe a large unit of rat ogres. I said a horde army should be that, a horde. You NEED to negate steadfast on other troops, so the larger unit the better!

fubukii
25-01-2011, 09:20
I never said put them in horde formation. I would actually argue against it, except maybe a large unit of rat ogres. I said a horde army should be that, a horde. You NEED to negate steadfast on other troops, so the larger unit the better!

can always just reform to put the unit in whatever formation is best at the time