PDA

View Full Version : New to 40K...Again

Forsak3n
25-01-2011, 12:41
I've been out of the hobby for about 6-8years now and am looking to get back into it. I use to play Orks but have sold off the army years ago so i will be starting from scratch.

Out of all of the armies, Im leaning towards starting up Space Wolves and am wondering how they are doing now-a-days(versatility, tier-rating, etc) and what i should expect to get if i do start them(basic units any army build should have to start with). I never had the chance to play SW back in the day so i dont know what to expect.

I am open to any suggestions and advice, and if someone thinks i should go for a different army then by all means sell me on them(just remember that i want an army with power and versatility...and isnt overly common)

im a sponge....with a steep learning curve.

Zweischneid
25-01-2011, 12:45
(just remember that i want an army with power and versatility...

Space Wolves...

...and isnt overly common)

... not Space Wolves.

Forsak3n
25-01-2011, 12:56
what would have power, versatility, and is uncommon then?

nagash66
25-01-2011, 13:01
Sisters of Battle of course. They can be powerful in the right hands, are every rarely played and have a ton of options.

faithinanarchy
25-01-2011, 13:04
yeah, Sisters of battle. New figures coming out soon, so new codex not far off. real kick ****, haven't lost with them yet, they even slay grey knights with ease

IcedCrow
25-01-2011, 13:08
Pretty much any army that is high tier is going to be common. That's the nature of the beast. No one wants to play the army that is hard to play with.

Forsak3n
25-01-2011, 13:24
ill give a list of a few armies im interested in:

SW: i like the fluff and power(easy paint scheme too)
Tau: versatile(fw, battlesuits, alien allies)
Necron: stupidly easy to paint
IG(Catachan): almost started them 6yrs ago, like the look and feel

between those 4 are any of them OP, un-able to win, etc?

RCgothic
25-01-2011, 13:27
Catachans are a good choice - most people go Cadians, so Catachans are uncommon, and IG are one of the easiest armies to do well with as well.

The golden rule of IG is: take 3. 1 will die, 1 will miss, the last will do the job.

Zweischneid
25-01-2011, 13:29
ill give a list of a few armies im interested in:

SW: i like the fluff and power(easy paint scheme too)
Tau: versatile(fw, battlesuits, alien allies)
Necron: stupidly easy to paint
IG(Catachan): almost started them 6yrs ago, like the look and feel

between those 4 are any of them OP, un-able to win, etc?

Well, Space Wolves as said above tick all the boxes. If you like the fluff and game-style, there are really all the reasons you need to put your money down. But, like all Space Marines (perhaps even more so than most), Wolves are popular.

Tau are not versatile as an army IMO. Despite the variety of troops & alien allies, there is only really "one way" to play Tau, and only "one list" (both with minor variants) to use if you want to stand a chance at winning.

Necrons? Dunno, again they lack versatility IMO if that is important to you. And of course, neither Tau nor Necrons are that powerful by and large.

IG are King of the Hill in power still IMO, and if you like the "look and feel", thats as good a reason to play them as any. Their "effective" playstyle would tend to be more onesided than Marines however, and of course they are immensly popular too.

Forsak3n
25-01-2011, 13:30
thats what i had figured, are catachans limited in what they can field in comparison to cadians? (e.g. ogryns)

RCgothic
25-01-2011, 13:43
thats what i had figured, are catachans limited in what they can field in comparison to cadians? (e.g. ogryns)

Not at all. They tend to get through a lot of commissars to friendly fire incidents, but even then you can just fluff in that the Munitorum wants to keep an eye on the regiment and keeps replacing them.

Chem-Dog
25-01-2011, 15:40
yeah, Sisters of battle. New figures coming out soon, so new codex not far off. real kick ****, haven't lost with them yet, they even slay grey knights with ease

Erm...no there's nothing on the long range scanners yet. We've heard there're models being proofed but it's a bit early to be calling it "soon".

Not at all. There's no real difference between regiments anymore, it's up to you how "in character" you want your force to be, a fully mechanised Catachan force is just as viable as any other build.
Of course, Oggies in a Chan army are pretty in character.

As an aside, 'Chans have two kick ass characters AND Nork Deddog is historically linked to the Catachans.

If you're gonna build an Ogryn heavy army, you may want to consider investigating alternatives to the GW metals as they're hefty chunks of metal and, imho, ugly as sin.

Forsak3n
25-01-2011, 16:02
im familiar with other fanatasy manufactures, but i will definitly look into alternatives seeing as ogryn's are $22.50 through GW.

Navar
25-01-2011, 16:45
I might suggest Tyranids to you. They are powerful and versatile. They are largely unplayed, but have 2 distinct play styles. They require a great deal of skill and are rather unforgiving, but in the right hands can be devastating.

Forsak3n
25-01-2011, 17:09
if i do decide to go IG, i can convert ogres to ogryns(2 boxes of ogres, plus xtra bitz & stuff makes me 12 Ogryns for 1/3 the cost, maybe less).

i've considered tyranids, i had a friend that use to play them, but they just dont have as much use for converting...everyone's nid armies will look the same, IMO.

ultimately it will come down to what everyone is playing in my local gaming scene/area(im just now scouting the places out). dont want to start an army and leave myself with fewer opponents.

Navar
25-01-2011, 17:31
Are you mental? Everyone's Nid armies will look the same? Wow I have never heard that complaint about Tyranids.

(In fact I often hear that complaint about Guard . . .)

totgeboren
25-01-2011, 18:41
I would say go Space Wolves. ok, everyone plays Marines in one way or another, but if they are the ones that are your first gut choice, you should go with them.

Otherwise, IG are always nice. You can personalise IG to a much larger extent than marines imo, but marines just give you so much more versatility tactically. When a large monster comes smashing into your lines, you can assault it head on with the Wolves and take it down. With guards you are often more or less forced to just shoot it, which is the same thing you do when stuff are not thundering into your lines.

It seems like the Necrons are about to get a new codex soon, so I would advice against them. Wait until they are released if you are seriously interested.

Tau sadly don't really fit what you are after, but I must say they are really fun to face. Just love the fluff, but sadly the rules are showing their age.

Charistoph
25-01-2011, 19:14
As an alternative, you could go back to Orks. They are as versatile as Guard, and have access to numerous playing styles. Since you're starting from scratch, an AoBR set can even get your foot in the door with them. Their power hasn't waned, just some of the more recent codicies jumped up a huge amount with their new codicies.

For something different, Dark Eldar have just been rereleased, and their codex is surprisingly well made. The only down-side is that they are "new", and a lot of 'Oh, Shiny!' players have flocked to them.

If you want to stay Astartes, both Black Templars and Dark Angels got a shot in the arm with the latest FAQ release. Because of their codicies age, many Astartes players have left those books at home, making the number of players dwindle. It's also likely that one of them will get a new codex in the next year, if their current pattern holds (no guarantees, though, as nothing has been announced for either, yet).

Dvora
25-01-2011, 20:31
In my opinion I would not play guard, simply for the fact that I could throw a dime in my local game store and hit five of them. Frighteningly enough that was my first 40k army, though I started in 4th ed when their codex was bland, and damn hard to win with. Now, it seems to me, the 5th ed guard have way too much fire power. Most of my games were clearly decided first strike, making the rest of the game very boring.

Anyways, end of story time and onto your question. Go with Space Wolves if you want a marines chapter ( Or blood angels) and for those filthy alien scum I would choose Eldar actually. Honestly, I can't recall the last time I faced an Eldar army.

DiceMonkey
25-01-2011, 21:32
I've just dived back into 40k after a 6 year hiatus as well, and am going IG. But the Blood Angels are really, really tempting...

Forsak3n
25-01-2011, 22:52
Are you mental? Everyone's Nid armies will look the same? Wow I have never heard that complaint about Tyranids.

(In fact I often hear that complaint about Guard . . .)

i was going off what i remember 6 years or so ago(bodies with pincer arms/guns, no bitz, etc) just my opinion, things might have changed or maybe i am mental. i honestly like the idea of a swarm over-taking the enemy.

Dvora
26-01-2011, 02:10
i was going off what i remember 6 years or so ago(bodies with pincer arms/guns, no bitz, etc) just my opinion, things might have changed or maybe i am mental. i honestly like the idea of a swarm over-taking the enemy.

Tyranids are fun to play, and fun to play against. They're not as strong as they were, thank god I was starting to hate carnifex spam, but still a good choice.