PDA

View Full Version : Small Warbands game, need some help

Kugruk
26-01-2011, 01:14
Recently an escalation league has started at the local hobbytown here to try and get new players involved in fantasy. There seem to be an overwhelming majority of WH40k players in the area, with little interest in fantasy. Anyway, the league will start out at 250 points Warbands games using the Adepticon rules (which can be found here: http://www.adepticon.org/10rules/2010wfbwarbands.pdf )

My roommates and I have entered the league, me playing Lizardmen and them playing Skaven and High Elves (possibly WoC). I've been playing fantasy for well over a year, but have only ever played against my Skaven roommate. Our other roommate has only recently expressed interest in the game. Anyway, to the point:

I played a 250pt warbands game against skaven last night and was trounced. I'm worried about being able to compete at this level where every model means so very much. For so long I have relied on the ability to support my stalwart saurus blocks with magic, but it's just not possible at this level.

I would like some advice on how to approach other armies in an all comers list. The first list I made had 2 groups of 4 saurus, a skink chief, a group of 5 skink skirmishers and 2 Cold one riders. The riders seemed to do pretty well, but the rest of my list was lacking. Obviously I shouldve kept the saurus in one group instead of splitting them up. I'm going to have to rely on skinks to get things done for me here, but I'm worried about being able to survive (or at least recover from) close combat. Any immediate thoughts? Need any more information?

Malorian
26-01-2011, 01:19
In small point games skinks rule, as do salamanders.

Run around, kill the weapon teams, and blast the blocks.

What was his list like?

Kugruk
26-01-2011, 01:33
I already thought about salamanders. Unfortunately, they are 75 points and the percentage cap for rares on a 250 game would be 62. Salamanders would be incredibly effective at this level. I believe razordons might even be MORE effective in this case, but that remains to be seen.

In his list, he had 3 jezzails, 2 blocks of 10 clanrats, 1 block of 25 slaves, and a chieftain. I feel like i'm leaving something out, but thats the bulk of it.

Kugruk
26-01-2011, 01:35
Thats another point. I have yet to get in touch with the guys running the league to see if they are actually going to be using the 8th edition army composition rules in conjunction with the war band rules. I sincerely hope so, to be honest. If i saw a doomwheel hit the table in a 250 point game, I would just have to walk away.

scruffyryan
26-01-2011, 01:58
Going heavy on skink skirmishers with javelins at low points values is insanely effective. Take chameleon skinks as soon as you can. heavy or even pure skirmisher shooting lists are very very effective at low points values. However they can also be somewhat unfun for your opponent.

Kugruk
26-01-2011, 02:09
I can understand them being unfun. But, i'm not playing the league solely for fun. I'm not a powergamer by any means. I would really rather not cheese, but my options seem to be pretty limited. I made a half dozen lists at work today I'm going to give a shot.

Im currently torn between Terradons and Cham skinks.

scruffyryan
26-01-2011, 02:47
A full size unit of 10 cham skinks is 120 points. Thats 4 terradons. Cham skinks are going to be a better play for your at this juncture.

You're going to get 3 to 4 times the poison shots per point from chameleon skinks.

Malorian
26-01-2011, 03:40
I also vote for chameleon skinks over terradons.

PeG
26-01-2011, 08:34
The warband rules state that you can take a single special and rare choice and that no model can cost more then 150 points. It also says that you need two core choices and finally "Once Warbands have been assembled per the Warband composition rules, play progresses exactly as it does in a standard game of Warhammer."

Wouldnt this mean that you dont have to restrict yourself to max 25% rares?

Unfortunately that would most likely result in minimum core (which for skaven is very close to 0 points....) and then big nasty stuff.

I am not sure what to do about a doomwheel at this point level.

Kugruk
26-01-2011, 16:09
I am not sure what to do about a doomwheel at this point level.

That's my problem. My friends and I still don't know whether they are going to enforce the percentage caps or not while using the warband rules. There would be almost no way to deal with the Doomwheel before it annihilated everything.

I played another game last night. Heres what my list looked like:

11 skinks
5 skink skirmishers
5 skink skirmishers
3 Chameleon skinks
1 Terradon
1 Skink chief

It was going really well for me, before BOTH groups of skirmishers ended up fleeing from charges...and ended up fleeing off the table. That is probably just poor luck on my part.

His list was something like:

10 clan rats
10 clan rats
10 stormvermin
1 ratling gun

I was able to take out his ratling gun pretty easy between the chams and the terradon. I was able to garrison my cham skinks in a building within short range of the ratling gun and take it out. Towards the end of the game, my unit of 11 skinks and chief were down to 4 little dudes and they had to make a charge reaction. They were only 7ish inches from the table edge, but I didnt think they would be able to make it through combat without taking a wound and autobreaking, and it being the very last turn of the game, I took the gamble and declared a flee. They ended up fleeing off the table as well. I tried to get a rear charge off with my terradon, but he was killed in the combat... =/

Baiting and fleeing sure doesn't seem to be as sure-fire as some would have you believe.

I guess someone had to run away and warn the saurus...

Malorian
26-01-2011, 16:20
Baiting and fleeing sure doesn't seem to be as sure-fire as some would have you believe.

Your games should have very little to do with bait and flee and everything to do with run around and shoot.

Since skirmishers can march and shoot you can simply run circles around your opponent and blow him away bit by bit.

The trick is to remember that he has an average of a 12 inch charge so you don't want to shoot him from the front.

The chamo skinks will help fracture the lines and then once you see a break the skinks run inbetween units (as long as they are out of LOS).

Once you are within his lines it's just a poison party.

Kugruk
26-01-2011, 16:21
We're starting at 250pt games. But, thank you all very much for your input. This is a great help ^^.

w3rm
27-01-2011, 19:01
Turn the skink block into more skirmishers. Other try and squeeze a salamander in there.