PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice for Blood Angels...

kornfolk
26-01-2011, 09:01
I just got the new B/A codex and im looking for tips on how to set up an army around 2000pts. Im not sure whats best... so far I bought a baal pred. and 2 boxes of Death company. need tips on what else to get and tips maybe even how to play it?

dragonet111
26-01-2011, 10:08
Hi.

When I build an army I choose a theme and stick to it. I don't play in a competitive group (and don't do tournaments) so I don't really know how to do ultra competitive build.

I usually choose a unit or two that I really like and build a fluffy army around those units.

Do you play in a competitive group?

NixonAsADaemonPrince
26-01-2011, 11:13
This would probably be best in Tactics, but I'll chime in anyway :):

Blood Angels rely on their Assault Marines for troops, and normally put them either in Razorbacks or Land Raiders, though Jump Packing is also mildly viable. Then go for a couple of Baal Predators for Fast Attack, Sanguinary Priests to support your Assault Marines, and as many Dreads with Blood Talons and the like as you can get, maybe with some Drop Pods or Stormravens transport them.

Hope this helps.

Valek
26-01-2011, 11:22
huh, easy:

Mephiston

Libby dread with lance, shield in pod

3 sang priest, jp,

10 Jumpmarines, 2 melta, pwfist

3 Baal Pred with Assault Cannon
3 Predator with Autocans and las sponsons

Should be close and a dang hard list to play with and against, but rewarding and competitve.

Emperors Teeth
26-01-2011, 12:29
Mephiston

Libby dread with lance, shield in pod

3 sang priest, jp,

3 Baal Pred with Assault Cannon
3 Predator with Autocans and las sponsons

Wow that's soulless... effective no doubt but it feels like a clinical tournament winner. I go with the first guys comments, unless you want to win tournaments?

In my own opinion:
Blood Angels are a codex chapter. Flawed, but codex non-the-less, as such I would make sure to include at least one or two tactical squads. Assault Squads are a must, but more than two and I feel you're pushing it a bit. After all, there's only two in each company. Random awesomeness like regular Dreadnoughts and a Vindicator are the kinds of thing I'd like to include in my own BA army. For flavour, not power.

Vadskær
26-01-2011, 12:46
Wow that's soulless... effective no doubt but it feels like a clinical tournament winner. I go with the first guys comments, unless you want to win tournaments?

In my own opinion:
Blood Angels are a codex chapter. Flawed, but codex non-the-less, as such I would make sure to include at least one or two tactical squads. Assault Squads are a must, but more than two and I feel you're pushing it a bit. After all, there's only two in each company. Random awesomeness like regular Dreadnoughts and a Vindicator are the kinds of thing I'd like to include in my own BA army. For flavour, not power.

Soulless - no less!? I beg to differ ;-) I actually think the above list is quite nice. I think it encompasses a good selection of units that'll hit hard in the field.

IMHO if you take tactical squads in an assault oriented army, you're playing to loose. I know GW pushes Tactical Squads all the time, but on the table they just don't cut it compared to Assault Marines. An assault in a game is almost inevitable (sp) so why not take the lead and punch your opponents army hard and heavy with assault marines. The right tool for the right job.

/Vadskær

Inquisitor Gabriel Ashe
26-01-2011, 12:48
After all, there's only two in each company.

Even the 8th?

Nocculum
26-01-2011, 13:26
Assault marines are only good if you can catch the enemy or not get shot getting to them ;)

AngelofSorrow
26-01-2011, 16:15
Soulless - no less!? I beg to differ ;-) I actually think the above list is quite nice. I think it encompasses a good selection of units that'll hit hard in the field.

IMHO if you take tactical squads in an assault oriented army, you're playing to loose. I know GW pushes Tactical Squads all the time, but on the table they just don't cut it compared to Assault Marines. An assault in a game is almost inevitable (sp) so why not take the lead and punch your opponents army hard and heavy with assault marines. The right tool for the right job.

/Vadskær

Blood angels can be an incredibly effective shooting dominated force as well. They have access to all the shooty units you'd ever need.
Taking tactical squads is in no way playing to lose.

To the OP take whatever fancies you. Try somethings that are unusual. Build a theme and have fun with the army.

kornfolk
26-01-2011, 17:18
Hi.

When I build an army I choose a theme and stick to it. I don't play in a competitive group (and don't do tournaments) so I don't really know how to do ultra competitive build.

I usually choose a unit or two that I really like and build a fluffy army around those units.

Do you play in a competitive group?

Thats the problem, I dont play much at all... Im a long time colecter of G/W models, both fantacy and 40K. I have lots of models and lots of armys... but dont play! My friends rip on me cause they play and dont even have all the models... I got a idea in my head that I would build this B/A army and learn how to play... crazy right?

dragonet111
26-01-2011, 18:36
My army is a successor chapter. I wrote some fluff, the complete organization of the chapter and I named every important characters. I also wrote a short story, I'm not a very skilled writer but it help me to flesh out the guys in my strike force. I also wrote a little campaign featuring a previous war for my strike force. Then I build my strike force using all that background material and test games.

I play Blood Angels since 3ed, it was my first army and it's not really fluffy or well painted so with the new codex I choose to build my own successor chapter. I use my old minis to play test different lists I choose a mech list.

Try do this, it really help to find what you want to play. Then you can post lists in the Army List part of the forum to ask for advises.

Abaraxas
28-01-2011, 14:41
From the start I was a space wolf collector/player 2nd and there used to be a horrible cyclone launcher wolguard termie thing that was by chicanery legal although it was quite obvious that theyd just forgotten to stipulate the number of heavy weapons for them.

I couldnt bring a wolf lord and 6 grey hunter packs to battle-or a whole army of wolfguard terminators/loganwing(re:mephiston and jumpers/tanks)

I guess what Im trying to say is, Im the type that gets one of everything, then alternate hqs, then another tac and dev squad (gh/lf) to even it out etc etc bla bla blah

Gingerwerewolf
28-01-2011, 14:55
Ive been Blood Angles (or their successors) since 2nd edition.

They have always exemplified the "CHARGE!" attitude and in my opinion the army should be fielded appropriately.

This has never been more so since the last Codex where Matt has made it so that if you try and create a balanced Marine Force using Tactical Squads and the like, then you will pay more points for the priviledge.

Assault Marines for your Troops. Death Company for a massive distraction.

All your vehicles are fast so use them! CHARGE! Its not that you cant shoot, you can, but why shoot when you can tear them apart with your teeth?

The above so called "Soulless" list is very much a Blood Angle force, and it happens to be very powerful too. the only place it suffers is in cities of death where everywhere is difficult terrain.

[wipes the froth off his chin]

Godzooky
28-01-2011, 15:07
Gotta love the Blood Angles. They have acute reflexes, but they can sometimes be a touch obtuse. ;)

zantis
28-01-2011, 15:14
The above so called "Soulless" list is very much a Blood Angle force, and it happens to be very powerful too. the only place it suffers is in cities of death where everywhere is difficult terrain.

I'm not sure it would suffer in cities of death. DoA means you only roll one die for scatter. Once you're on the ground, it becomes more of an issue. But a crafty player could maneuver to always jump over the terrain. And dont forget that jump troops can walk thru terrain to avoid the dangerous test.

Gingerwerewolf
28-01-2011, 15:19
Gotta love the Blood Angles. They have acute reflexes, but they can sometimes be a touch obtuse. ;)

Huh?

Erm what? Whats he talking about?

Ginger "Too much like his Army" werewolf