PDA

View Full Version : Redemption of Avenging Sons 3rd Company

Icestone
26-01-2011, 09:25
In looking for a chapter to base my painting on i was looking for a relatively unused chapter and came across the Avenging Sons, the only bits of info available i could find mention the 3rd Company going renegade at the Helmabad Rebellion.

I wanted to create a history and back story of my own so i wanted tom ask any chapter experts would a chapter restart a disgraced company.

My vision is of a new company(my space marines) with few if any battle honours, being created by the Chapter Master to clear the 3rd Companies disgrace.

Any thoughts?

Inquisitor S.
26-01-2011, 15:01
There is more than the 3rd company going renegade (anyway there were not that many survivors):
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Avenging_Sons

And you can't just create "new" companies. There would be a new 3rd Company which would probably try to erase their predecessors' schame.

Chem-Dog
27-01-2011, 01:53
I wanted to create a history and back story of my own so i wanted tom ask any chapter experts would a chapter restart a disgraced company.

My vision is of a new company(my space marines) with few if any battle honours, being created by the Chapter Master to clear the 3rd Companies disgrace.

Any thoughts?

This seems entirely feasable, depending on how openly the treachery is known they may even go as far as to tasking the new Company to hunting down the traitors in order to absolve the Company's "name". They could go with not counting the old company in their roster simply skipping the number 3 from the order so it would look like this:-
Co1 Veterans
Co2 Battle Company
Co4 Battle Company
Co5 Battle Company
Co6 Battle Company
Co7 Reserve Company
Co 8 Reserve Company
Co 9 Reserve Company
Co 10 Reserve Company
Co 11 Scout Company
Alternatively, once the offending members have been expunged from the records the company could simply continue as it was with the bad bit of history removed, obviously a goodly chunk of the Company's relics and wargear would have been lost and they may not want to raise a company standard until honour is restored, but it's entirely up to you how you wanna go about it.

There is more than the 3rd company going renegade (anyway there were not that many survivors):
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Avenging_Sons

This entry doesn't mention the only bit of fluff I've ever read regarding the Avenging Sons, it was in Inferno, a short story featuring a lone Brother who gets captured by a Fabius Bile-like CSM Biology enthusiast, there was a good deal of chat about capturing geneseed but I don't remember much more than that.

Inquisitor S.
27-01-2011, 09:22
This entry doesn't mention the only bit of fluff I've ever read regarding the Avenging Sons, it was in Inferno, a short story featuring a lone Brother who gets captured by a Fabius Bile-like CSM Biology enthusiast, there was a good deal of chat about capturing geneseed but I don't remember much more than that.

If you remember it, feel free to drop me a line :) But you don't mean the short story "Apothecary's Honour", no?

Regarding the company skipping: I can't recall an instance where that happened with regular chapters (Space Wolves not included).

Icestone
27-01-2011, 09:36
Thanks for the input, i wasn't thinking of creating as ' brand new' i have been reading a lot of the space marine novels and just had a thought of the Chapter Master thinking it was time the 3rd Company was allowed to redeem itself and with a batch of new recruits joining it was the time.

I'm just thinking that as i am new and inexpereinced then my company could be as well.

Wyrmwood
27-01-2011, 20:50
If you remember it, feel free to drop me a line :) But you don't mean the short story "Apothecary's Honour", no?

... The one in Let the Galaxy Burn?

Inquisitor S.
27-01-2011, 22:01
... The one in Let the Galaxy Burn?

I think we took it from "Dark Imperium", but it does not really fit Chem-Dog's description. So it must be another story I guess.

Gdolkin
28-01-2011, 00:05
No, that's the story, Apothecary's Honour, it does have a Chaos Apothecary and the Avenging Sons in it.

shadowhawk2008
28-01-2011, 13:23
I believe the Avenging Sons are also mentioned in Imperial Armour 3: Taros Campaign as they are the ones who took part in the first Taros intervention to prevent a planetary rebellion and failed.

J-rock
30-01-2011, 19:49
Yes, the Avenging Sons are in IA3. The captain of the 2nd company is named, along with a few others and a strike cruiser. There are some pictures their colour scheme and you get to see them in action. Unfortunately, poor intelligence results in their withdrawal and failure to complete their mission. :(

shadowhawk2008
31-01-2011, 07:17
They definitely get their asses kicked by the Tau. What I don't get is why the authors of the book chose not to reintroduce the Chapter further on. Surely the Chapter Master would have wanted to get his revenge on the aliens for handing them such a big defeat.

Chem-Dog
31-01-2011, 07:52
I think we took it from "Dark Imperium", but it does not really fit Chem-Dog's description. So it must be another story I guess.

Don't trust my patchy memory on the details.

I remember the guy being lost in the fog of war and shouting out for "Sons" and the mention of a character who struck me as Fabius Bile in all but name.

My Infernos are in storage at the moment so I can't get a hand to them immediately but I do hope to be up there soon so I'll have a look-see.