PDA

View Full Version : Parry Question - Opinions needed

Warrior of Chaos
26-01-2011, 09:41
Alrighty,

I know this about shield parry.

1. Only dismounted models get it.
2. Only can be made against attacks directed to the front of the formation.
3. Only get it if using hand wep/shield combo.
4. Don't get it if Frenzied.
5. Shield must be non-magical
6. Weap. must be non-magical (thanks to theunwantedbeing)

Here is the question. Just want to get some opinions for my upcoming game with a bud. He is playing Beastmen and myself WoC.

I understand my Knights don't get the shield parry (mounted). But what are your thoughts on Centigors for his army? I would think that they DO (if using hand wep/shield) since they are not technically mounted (no split profile). How would you interpret this?

I don't know much about the Beastmen, they may not even be able to have hand wep/shield with Centigors, but i'm trying to find out ahead of time in case it comes up. Still learning alot on 8th Ed, and everytime we play a game i'm adjusting as I find out rules I wasn't aware of, or misunderstood.

theunwantedbeing
26-01-2011, 09:47
Moot question seeing as Centigor have spears.
Also on page 46 of the Beastmen book they are stated to be cavalry.

Also you can't parry with a magical weapon either.

Warrior of Chaos
26-01-2011, 09:56

Ok thanks! Like I said I was not sure they could even have that combo, but wanted to make sure. Been trying to ensure I get the rules straight since we screwed a few up last time in our Beast vs Skaven game.

Warrior of Chaos
26-01-2011, 10:05

I understand they are cavalry, but i'm wondering if the definition of cavalry is what makes a unit "mounted" or is it the fact it has a rider (w/ split profile - rider and steed).

Karolinen
27-01-2011, 15:33
You can only parry whith handweapon and shield. (+6 ward save)

Example:
Empire swordsmen: handweapon, light armour, shield (basic equipment)
Does this means that the trooper has in close combat one +6 wardsave and then a +5 armour save? And 5+ armoursave againt missile fire?

Stekkos
27-01-2011, 15:59

They have spears on the first round if they charge, but else they fight with a hand weapon.
And there is nowhere written that cavalry=mounted either. The rules for parry only say "no monster", "not mounted" , they could have said that only regular infantry get it instead, to avoid confusion, but they didn't.

Greyfire
27-01-2011, 16:17
Does this means that the trooper has in close combat one +6 wardsave and then a +5 armour save? And 5+ armoursave againt missile fire?
Yes. 6+ Save for light armor, boosted to 5+ for shield. Special rule kicks in after that if you have a hand-weapon like the Swordsmen have.

Palatine Katinka
27-01-2011, 22:35
They have spears on the first round if they charge, but else they fight with a hand weapon.
And there is nowhere written that cavalry=mounted either. The rules for parry only say "no monster", "not mounted" , they could have said that only regular infantry get it instead, to avoid confusion, but they didn't.

If they aren't 'mounted' then they never get to use their hand weapons.

If they are 'on foot' they always use spears and gain 'Fight in ranks'

If they are 'mounted' they use spears on the charge and hand weapons in other rounds but cannot claim the parry save because they are 'mounted'.

To Warrior of Chaos, remember that parry saves can't be used against Impact or Stomp either.

Chiungalla
28-01-2011, 04:43
If they are 'on foot' they always use spears and gain 'Fight in ranks'

And the would get no +1 strength on the charge.

But in fact GW messed such things up, when they decided that there are infantry models that are not on foot (Slann), inevitable leading to the question if there are cavalry models that are not mounted..

theunwantedbeing
28-01-2011, 09:19
Cavalry are mounted, infantry are on foot.
Just assume thats a rule and be done with it.

Seal Cub
28-01-2011, 10:30
Centigors are listed as Cavalry in the BRB bestiary so no parry save for them.