PDA

View Full Version : Unit Fillers

puckus10
26-01-2011, 21:20
I was wondering how you use unit fillers? Do just use a die to mark how many people in its place have died? They seem cool but confusing.

Little Joe
26-01-2011, 21:23
You should have more unit than fillers. then you start removing the normal RnF due to casualties and if you have enough and more die you simply replace the unit filler with any survivers left.

Ultimate Life Form
26-01-2011, 21:30
The BRB does not know the term 'unit filler', as it hurts sales, and depending on the type and quality of the idea and its execution it is also a red rag to some players.

However if you think you want to do it, here's the secret to using them: the filler is usually placed in the center of the unit with some normal R&F around it who will take the brunt of the beating and be removed. Once the unit is whittled down and it is the filler's turn to 'die', the filler as a whole is removed and replaced by the respective number of R&F who were previously removed, so no problem whatsoever. If you're planning on not having enough normal models to replace the filler, I daresay there's something fundamentally wrong with your idea.

CaliforniaGamer
26-01-2011, 21:36
"unit filler" is used both on the GW corporate website as well as within the pages of White Dwarf.

perfectly valid construct. carry on.

T10
26-01-2011, 21:45
Unit fillers are a practical rather than a rules issue.

From reading the rules you may notice that it is largely assumed that the unit is made up of models with a uniform base foot-print. There's a section of the rules dedicated to characters with different bases which pretty much sums up what the rules have to say on the matter.

ULF is right, though. You should be fine as long as your unit filler is compatible with the rest of the unit, and as long as the unit has enough standard base foot-print models to allow you to "cash in" the unit filler if it suffers a casualty.

E.g.: If you have a 2x2 model unit filler then your unit should include at least three common rank-and-file models. If you have a 3x3 model unit filler your unit should include eight common rank-and-file models.

Also, a common approach is to mount multiple models on larger bases with a foot-print compatible with the rest of the unit. I wouldn't call these "unit fillers" as such since they typically have the correct number of models mounted, but the principle is the same.

-T10

reddevil18
27-01-2011, 00:18
If its any help i have been planning on a large unit of maurders with a few dogs in to add flavour. one hound simply counts as 2 marauders.
As a hound is on 25x 50 and maraders are 25x25 so it takes the footprint on 2 models.

T10
27-01-2011, 07:33
You could of course mix some marauders into your hounds units too. :)

-T10

Mid'ean
27-01-2011, 10:57
I use a mix of gravestones in my undead units for that undead coming out of the graveyard look. And have not a soul complain about it.....:D

Lyynark
27-01-2011, 11:16
I use a mix of gravestones in my undead units for that undead coming out of the graveyard look. And have not a soul complain about it.....:D

I once saw a guy that made a 30 man skeleton unit out of nothing but gravestones, arms and skulls. That was just cheap.

theorox
27-01-2011, 11:31
I once saw a guy that made a 30 man skeleton unit out of nothing but gravestones, arms and skulls. That was just cheap.

Haha, awesome. That took some serious...baseballs. :D

Theo

a18no
27-01-2011, 12:12
Just for the fun of it

LOTS of pictures (http://www.google.ca/images?hl=fr&source=imghp&biw=1280&bih=544&q=warhammer+unit+filler&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=)

I use unit filler, when you start fielding unit of 30 or more, it become a pain to remove casualties AND to prepare for a match. I think that unit filler is starting to become a "friendly" rule for your opponent, he won't be upset about you if you fasten the game!!

muse1c
31-01-2011, 19:46
I love unit fillers and have a few in my Gnoblar units. Like many have said, I just try and match the footprint to the number of models it 'replaces', and have had no disputes thus far in games.

sorberec
31-01-2011, 21:42
Also, a common approach is to mount multiple models on larger bases with a foot-print compatible with the rest of the unit. I wouldn't call these "unit fillers" as such since they typically have the correct number of models mounted, but the principle is the same.

-T10

You mean a regiment base? Basically used for simplicity of taking large numbers of models off units - especially now people are running hordes it can save time taking models off and putting them back on movement trays.

sorberec
31-01-2011, 21:44
Unit fillers are a practical rather than a rules issue.

Not just practical - it can add something to the visual aspect of the unit

T10
31-01-2011, 22:11
You mean a regiment base? Basically used for simplicity of taking large numbers of models off units - especially now people are running hordes it can save time taking models off and putting them back on movement trays.

Yeah, something like that. Though mounting the full regiment on a single base seems excessive. :)

Torpedo Vegas
31-01-2011, 23:11
For big units (30+), I tend to have a 40mm unit filler, typically a soldier doing something like killing an enemy, or walking through a particularly thick bush, for my flaggelants I have a guy chained to a statue that he drags around. Unit fillers can be useful and fun, especially if you put in a bit of work, they can really give a regiment some character.

Bodysnatcher
01-02-2011, 06:21
Another technique for unit fillers is to add a subtle grid so you can see where the bases normally would be. It helps with the use of templates. Also, you can then use tiny counters to mark out dead models so you don't have to do the remove and reshuffle technique mentioned earlier.

Lyynark
01-02-2011, 06:33
Another technique for unit fillers is to add a subtle grid so you can see where the bases normally would be. It helps with the use of templates. Also, you can then use tiny counters to mark out dead models so you don't have to do the remove and reshuffle technique mentioned earlier.

Is that really a problem? If the filler has the same footprint as the models it displaces (which I think is mandatory) then template weapon hits are easy to work out. Even more so not that there are no partials.

sssk
01-02-2011, 09:00
I use (or at least will do when I get round to making some) unit fillers just to make my units look a bit more interesting. I'm using skull pass goblins so they're all pretty much the same pose, hence a unit filler breaks up the monotony a little. Here's an example (if the link works) using a limited edition fanatic model:

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z379/Rowlandofpoland/IMGP0035-1.jpg

Lorcryst
01-02-2011, 10:01
I use a couple of unit fillers for my Squig Herd, because I was short on Handlers, and the ones I had were a pain in the tuckus to rank up ...

I'm also planning to use the Dwarf Pony from the Battle for Skull Pass (7th ed boxed set) in an unit of Dwarf Miners, with a bit of work it'll make a nice mini-diorama and fill maybe 4 bases ...

Nothing wrong with them in my book.

sssk
01-02-2011, 10:10
On that dwarf/squigs note, you've just given me a brilliant idea! Well maybe not "brilliant" but....

I currently have 3 squigs, and 11 hoppers (which I'm currently just using in the herd, as hoppers are less than useful), totalling 14 squigs...1 short of a 5 herd unit. I also have the tied up slayer from skull pass, sitting around, waiting to be used for something.

Oh yes, squig herders herding a load of crazy mushrooms and a hopping mad slayer? I rather think so.

I was going to use a goblin carrying the mini squig from the skull pass big boss, but this strikes me as a better plan.

Lorcryst
01-02-2011, 10:41
Sometimes, unit filler ideas just impose themselves ... they add a nice bit of character to some units, and if done well and in moderation, they can be really good :)

Spiney Norman
01-02-2011, 11:43
I was wondering how you use unit fillers? Do just use a die to mark how many people in its place have died? They seem cool but confusing.

The formula for using unit fillers is that a filler cannot account for more than 50% of the non-upgraded, non-character model spaces in the unit. So if you have a unit of 30 including a character, champion, musician and standard bearer you cannot have more than 13 spaces worth of unit filler (30-4 = 26, 27/2 = 13)

If its larger than that you wont have enough models to replace it with when the unit drops below half strength.

Svarten
01-02-2011, 18:08
I use a unit filler of 40*40 / 25 men in my slave units. This is because it still makes it possible to remove the right amount of casualties during the game, without using tokens :)

Also, I tend to exchange a unit filler with 4 of my previously killed slaves, if they somehow become a problem. For example if the filler gets into base contact with an enemy (because of a rear charge etc...) :D

//Svarten.

mistrmoon
02-02-2011, 18:52
I think the 2 magic words for filler are 'tasteful' and 'effort'. Most of the ideas in the thread are good and i'd have no problem with any of them, except the unit of skeletons made of grave stones.

My problem is when people make cheap filler just because they dont want to paint/buy more models.

This is the kind of filler i despise, its a few cheap bushes slapped on a base to cover for the lack of dwarf warriors. Behold!