PDA

View Full Version : How to use Saurus?

vinny t
27-01-2011, 00:22
Well throughout all of my 8th edition games I've ran pretty reasonable unit sizes for my Saurus. Usually I run something like 2 units of 25-30 with spears along with a TG bunker and some support. However, I've recently been flirting with the idea of incorporating the new 8th edition mentality of "bigger is better". So with that idea in mid I was wondering which build would be considered stronger, my 2 units of 25-30, or 1 unit of 39 with a combat Scar vet.

The main tactics I would plan on using with this list would be points denial as well as lots of supporting. I have my skinks and salamanders to force my opponents to come to grips with my combat units and I have Becalming Cognition on my Slaan to protect me against big unit-killing spells. So my opponents would have around 400 points of fragile units and 2000 ish of big blocks to deal with.

So what does you fine folk suggest?

(btw, my Slaan runs life in a unit of 30 TG)

scruffyryan
27-01-2011, 00:24
A brick of 49 with spears and the stubborn saurus special character is a particularly nasty suprise.

Malorian
27-01-2011, 01:25
Putting them together means you get to cover them all with a single lore of life spell.

I'd go with one unit of 50 over two units of 25 for sure (although I typically keep mine at 40), but just becareful not to waste too many points on adding scarvets for the hell of it.

Maybe do something like combine two units of 25 to make a unit of 40 and still have points left over for a unit of camo skinks.

metalloveman
27-01-2011, 05:55
What I would do is make sure your temple guard are around 35 strong. Then take 2 units of 25/30 saurus with Hw/sheild and deploy in a wedge, temple guard first with the saurus guarding flanks. Then you can cast lore of light spells with the everything within 12 inches to maximum effect as well.

Malorian
27-01-2011, 15:36
What I would do is make sure your temple guard are around 35 strong. Then take 2 units of 25/30 saurus with Hw/sheild and deploy in a wedge, temple guard first with the saurus guarding flanks. Then you can cast lore of light spells with the everything within 12 inches to maximum effect as well.

Why not just combine them and guard the other flank with a board edge/terrain?

CaliforniaGamer
27-01-2011, 15:57
39-40 FC with Scar Vet.

1 unit, skink skirmishers to fill out core.

w3rm
27-01-2011, 18:46
39-40 with scarvet w/ halberd and crown of command and beasts slaan. Str 5 t 5 saurus and a str 9 and 7 attack scar vet will munch through anything you need it to.

russellmoo
27-01-2011, 20:14
You run both on the flanks of the temple guard- this allows you to play more aggressively and advance on your opponent in sort of a spear head formation-
Salamanders Saurus Temple Guard Saurus salamanders

This build is ridiculously tough to deal with-

w3rm
27-01-2011, 21:57
I dont get why people would put a slaan in temple gaurd unless theyre going with life. Otherwise he's just going to miscast too much.

vinny t
28-01-2011, 03:39
Yeah I thik the life lore on my slaan is pretty much set in stone as the miscart protection is vital to my army. I like the idea of points denial but at the same time, it seems not quite offensive enough.

Trains_Get_Robbed
28-01-2011, 04:48
Mal- True that unit is going to be impossible to kill at first, but if one just dispells that 'crucial' spell then the unit can be in serious trouble.

It would be wiser to run two medium blocks as it gives greater interdiction lanes, multiple facets of manvouring and positioning, allows the tying up 'certain' units while the T.G come to the rescue.

It may be hard to get points from that unit, though it would essentially be game if one was playing pitched battle or Blood and Glory. Just run avoidance the rest of the time.

vinny t
29-01-2011, 19:42
Well, I don't have to really worry about blood and glory, because with a BSB slaan, my opponent has to kill it to win