PDA

View Full Version : Which Horus Heresy novel next??

sk8er-guy123456
27-01-2011, 02:17
hey boys, so I play fallen DA and I read both descent and fall of angels. i like the second one alright. the first was... meh.

whats next? Im leaning towards nemesis and flight of the einstine.

which ones were your favorites and which ons sucked. and why?

Cain1001
27-01-2011, 02:21
The first two books are the best

sk8er-guy123456
27-01-2011, 02:22
The first two books are the best

really? man im a little hesitant cuz i dont care about all that chaos stuff

-Loki-
27-01-2011, 02:49
You realize that the horus heresy is pretty much focused on Chaos and the Space marines right? Since that's kind of the key theme going during the Horus heresy. The first Space Marine heretics.

sk8er-guy123456
27-01-2011, 02:53
You realize that the horus heresy is pretty much focused on Chaos and the Space marines right? Since that's kind of the key theme going during the Horus heresy. The first Space Marine heretics.

of course. i just enjoy the anti-chaos ones more, thats all. i hold chaos to be super evil and when the heroes turn, its kinda like a buzz kill

Omniassiah
27-01-2011, 02:57
Most of the books focus not on the ones who fall but on those few that try to stay loyal as they slowly see their dreams falling around them...

The Anarchist
27-01-2011, 03:11
if you are going to read Esienstein i would def recomend reading the opening trilogy first as it sets the mood, and makes the entire book that much more poniant. however if not a fan of the HH and chaos view of it, tales of heresy, and Nemesis are both good options as stand alones

Kirill
27-01-2011, 03:16
if you're reading flight of the eisenstine (spelling >.>), make sure you've read the first three.
nemesis is pretty stand alone, and an interested read, though if i was going to read any of the current "one off" books, it would have to be The First Heretic, the story is amazing and Aron Dempski Bowden is actually a god.
If there was one i would recommend not reading, it would be battle for the abyss. I don't understand why but it's just a boring read, i can't seem to penetrate it, or get attached to any of the characters.

Cain1001
27-01-2011, 03:22
really? man im a little hesitant cuz i dont care about all that chaos stuff

I have read several 40k books and the first two of this series give such a good feel - besides Loken is a great character and to see how some of the legendary characters came about is interesting.

The biggest reason to read them is that they are by far the highest quality of writing compared to the rest.

AlphariusOmegon20
27-01-2011, 03:34
Fulgrim's a good choice as an almost stand alone book. So's Legion. Mechanicum is a stand alone and a good read if you like AdMech.

sk8er-guy123456
27-01-2011, 06:53
Alright! im convinced. so ill buy the first 3 along with einstein (sp?) and nemesis. and because of Kiril, the first heretic too. lol this is going to put a dent in my wallet.

the reason for the anti chaos is cuz everything ive ever read was just..... repulsive. utterly disgusting. filleting people alive for fun, or postules of puss and skin liquifying dieases.... i dont see whats aluring about it. like in 40k thats cool, but not when hitler does it? why people play chaos, i dont know. but everyone has their own things i guess... maybe im missing something

AndrewGPaul
27-01-2011, 08:32
flight of the einstine.

Esienstein

flight of the eisenstine (spelling >.>)

einstein (sp?)

Eisenstein. Write it down for future reference. :)

Bigbot
27-01-2011, 08:42
For me I'd go with the first 3 books (Horus Rising and False Gods are actually amazing). Nemesis is enjoyable and a nice break from the space marine point of things.

Mechanicum is good as a stand alone book but does suffer from being a little 'too' heavy and...well perhaps convoluted isn't the correct word but it could have been simpler.

Tales of Heresy is worth it for 'The last church' alone.

But for me, my picks would be The First Heretic, Fulgrim or Legion. All 3 of those are very well sculpted.

...ya know, now that I think about it, aside from the occasional duffer (descent of Angels and Some of Battle for the Abyss), it's really been a rather enjoyable book series.

Jind_Singh
27-01-2011, 09:47
First three are epic - really set the scene, you see how the LEGIONS acted in war - it's epic! And though the 'buzz kill' aspect is there of seeing tragic heroes fall to Chaos there is EXCELLENT coverage of those few Marines who saw past the corruption that stained the heart and soul of their legion - and though their exploits will never be known by their fellow Imperial brothers the stories are epic!

Once you read the first three it's addictive - Fulgrim and Flight of the Essie are also great books - again with great focus on the few loyalist marines - with exception of Fulgrim as that looks more at the fall of the Primarch himself - but there's some great stories from that one novel - it's well worth the read.

As for pants awards - by far the 1st Dark Angels book was meh for me, I mean it was ok but not great. The biggest loser is for sure the one were the Word Bearers go after the Ultramarines - I think it's battle for the abyss?

Should be renamed as battle for the most abysmal book in the HH series!

And if you hate Buzz Kill then pick up Legion - NOT ONLY are the Marines loyal to start off with, there's an excellent twist at the end - you won't be thinking BUZZ KILL - that's for sure!

Can't comment on the 2 latest ones though - yet to read them.

Another one that was kind of lame was the Mechanicum - Don't get me wrong the book was OK - but the lack of massive armies of Mars war machines let me down :( And it went off on the deep end from time to time - not so much as to throw people off, but still took away from the overall story here and there

Sparowl
27-01-2011, 09:51
I enjoyed the first three books, and recommend reading them just so you have the background set for the other books.

Flight of the Eisenstein really felt like a great outside view of what is going on.

I loved A Thousand Sons. It explored the great betrayal of Magnus in what I felt was a great read.

RCgothic
27-01-2011, 10:26
The first three are a definite must. Flight of the Eisenstein, also good.

Fulgrim was one of my favourites, but if you have a thing against depravity, then you're not going to like some of the passages...

The first DA book wasn't bad, it was just different from the others, and perhaps a little slow. It was necessary to set up the second, which was very enjoyable.

Legion was awsome, for loyalist marines and the Imperial Army, and how the Alpha Legion operated.

In Battle for the Abyss, the Word Bearers were 2D moustache-twirling villains, and the Ultramarines were cardboard cutouts. The most compelling characters were the Loyalist Thousand Son and World Eater, and the Space Wolves also made convincing cameos.

Mechanicum was a bit slow, and also a bit WTF.

Tales of Heresy did a good job of rehabilitating the Word Bearers, and there was a really good one that Fleshed out Angron. The Last Church also excellent.

A Thousand Sons, also excellent, a really sympathetic view of the tradgedy of the Thousand Sons.

I thought Nemesis was meh. The elite assasins acted like spoilt teenagers, and not at all professionally.

The First heretic was again awesome, a really sympathetic portrayal.

The Dark King/Lightning Tower were also an excellent listen, as were Raven's Flight and Garro:Oath of Moment.

I haven't read Prospero Burns yet.

After that, the next in the series are Garro: Legion of One and Age of Darkness, which are yet to be released.

ThePope
27-01-2011, 10:59
It's as chaosy as you can get so perhaps not your bag but god First Heretic is good, ADB is an utter genius when it comes to 40k and a bloody nice guy as well.

Gu Long: Ancient Dragon
27-01-2011, 11:07
I would say best ones to read are the first 3, Legion, The First Heratic and A Thousand Sons. Those IMO are the best written and most enjoyable (except galaxy in flames, but u gotta finish the story :)) Just finished Propero Burns, its not bad but i found it really hard to get into. Unusual for me with an Abnett

Gu

Asmodia
27-01-2011, 11:10
I always though Legion was excellent; It was certainly the book which surprised me the most.

Jim
27-01-2011, 11:50
Although very Chaos-y First Heretic is amazing... There are a couple of passages featuring Custodes that were so cool I have kitbashed models for them and I'm thinking of using the soon to be released Grey Knights army book- ADB is a very good writer! Would be worth checking out his Night Lords book Soul Hunter as it has a Heresy vibe to it as well.

Jim

Chem-Dog
27-01-2011, 12:01
I play fallen DA

i dont care about all that chaos stuff

when the heroes turn, its kinda like a buzz kill

Um....I don't know how to say this.....
No, I can't do it....Carry on kid, nothing to see here.
:angel:

I always though Legion was excellent; It was certainly the book which surprised me the most.

Ditto. John Grammaticus FTW

Personally, I would say read all of them in order EXCEPT the two Dark Angels ones, they add little to the overall story (much like the DA's part in the Horus Heresy ;)).
Stand outs for me were the first four books (Eisenstein is fantastic and a real bonus for Imperial Fists as we get to see Dorn being badass).

One of the books that really stands out for me is Tales of Heresy. Lots of short stories that are in many ways as informative of the era as any of the novels, within that book Last Church was really good, I saw the "twists" pretty much the second they were set up, but that's because I'm an ubermensch :shifty::D

And there aren't many books where the Good guy turns, most renegade legion books so far are viewed from the eyes of one of those who stay loyal, except for First Heretic, which is just so damn good anyway, you should read it.

captain ceaser
27-01-2011, 14:14
the first three are excellent. Loken is a great character and the authers do a good job letting you see the larger events unfolding around him.

Eisenstein is also excellent, my favourite so far.

Fulgrim i thought was ok except the plotr device was a little lazy for me.

Descent of angels was different but meh at best and im a dark angels player.

Legion was in pretty garbage in my opinion *ducks to avoid thrown axe* Sure we find stuff out that was unknown but some of the contents is just a little silly for me.

Battle for the abyss was an abortion. A bad book anyway but IN NO WAY contributed to the series.

Mechanicum was heavy going but very good. Titan battles and an inside look at the ad mech.

Tales of heresy i really enjoyed. The last church and the angron one are great.

Fallen angels i liked. You really get to see the lions brilliance yet his ambition is there, sorta good/dark side leaving it up in the air if he is a traitor.

A thousand sons i thought was toilet. a hated that book from start to finish.

Nemesis was o...k different again but just stand alone.

First heretic was excellent, one of the best so far. Guilliman was excellent despite only a cameo and the writing and staory were fab. one of my favs

sk8er-guy123456
27-01-2011, 17:18
Um....I don't know how to say this.....
No, I can't do it....Carry on kid, nothing to see here.

haha what is it guys? i dont get it??? lol no, they havent turned to chaos. they believe the "loyalists" have. hahaha ohhhh man that would have been hilarious had i been 5 years younger.

man, you guys are killing me here! so i guess i need to be asking myself, which ones NOT to read.... ok so heres the list:

1. battle for the abortion book
2. mechanicum
3. i have to go back through all the comments and figure it out..

but it looks like between my army and these books, i have no disposable income left ha

Jind_Singh
27-01-2011, 17:41
lol, lmao, and rotfl! (I think that's laugh out loud, laugh my ass off, and roll on the floor laughing)

"Battle of the Abortion"

Classic! That's going to bring a smile to my face all day today! :D

captain ceaser
27-01-2011, 18:12
lol seconded.

The Anarchist
27-01-2011, 18:48
Did anyone else get the feeling Battle for the Abyss was a standard 40k novel that about half way through someone told the author to go back turn it into a HH book to cover a gap in the release of the serries. I mean change a few minnor details and it could be anytime in 40k history

CrimsonTider
27-01-2011, 20:09
I agree with most of the posters here, the first 3 books were all fine and tend to focus more oaloong the lines of those who are trying to stay loyal and keep things from falling apart.

Of the rest, legion was grand, First heretic was pretty good, Flight of the E was pretty good, Thousand Sons explained alot and was alos pretty good. Gotta admit, the book I looked forward to the most (Prospero Burns) was also the one I enjoyed the least. It was a disappointment for me, except for the twist at the end with learning Bears real name.

Space_ Wolve_Haeger
27-01-2011, 23:51
i think the abyss was really good because it had different space marines from different chapters in it which i thought was pretty gud. The thousand sons was gud beacuse it bounced between them and the space wolves at perfect timings. thats my favorite ones so far just started to read nemsis.

sk8er-guy123456
28-01-2011, 01:01
damn. ok. the first 3 it is! i signed up for the free borders card so i get like 30% off. ill just wait for a coupon and grab those 3. lol but now i wont be able to do my matrix APU/ dreadnought conversion.....

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/6483/home016ne5.jpg

cjmbc
28-01-2011, 08:14
really enjoyed the first couple in the series, on to the third now!
i forked out and got the audio book for horus rising.. Loved it!!!

orkz222
28-01-2011, 17:35
My favourites
Horus Rising, Legion, A thousand sons

interesting
Mechanicum, Fulgrim, False gods, Prospero burns

Ok
Flight of eisenstein, galaxy in flames, descent of angels

Avoid
Battle for the abyss

Nicho
28-01-2011, 17:50
currently reading prospero burns wich is also awesome :) makes me want to doa space wolf army lol but then i always get like that after reading gw novels

Londinium
28-01-2011, 17:56
Seriously you're reading the Horus Heresy series but you don't like Chaos? If I didn't know better I'd think you were trolling, anyways the series graded like a school report:

A
Horus Rising, Fulgrim, A Thousand Sons, The First Heretic

B
False Gods, Mechanicum, Legion

C
Galaxy in Flames, Flight of the Eisenstein, Fallen Angels, Nemesis, Tales of Heresy

D
Descent of Angels

E
Battle for the Abyss

I havn't read Prospero Burns yet so I couldn't rate it. Sooner or later you're going to have to get past your weird dislike of Chaos though.

sk8er-guy123456
28-01-2011, 18:11
Seriously you're reading the Horus Heresy series but you don't like Chaos? If I didn't know better I'd think you were trolling,

Sooner or later you're going to have to get past your weird dislike of Chaos though.

haha hey man, im not into that stuff. demons, dark gods, torture, cutting skin off faces and wearing it on your armor, satanic rituals etc. maybe that makes me weird haha

Londinium
28-01-2011, 18:30
haha hey man, im not into that stuff. demons, dark gods, torture, cutting skin off faces and wearing it on your armor, satanic rituals etc. maybe that makes me weird haha

It's not so much the fact that you don't like that stuff which makes you weird. It's the fact you're reading a book series which is based around the fall of half of it's protaganists to that kind of behaviour.

Besides Chaos isn't all about that stuff. Tzeentch certainly isn't. Read A Thousand Sons, it's a much different kind of Chaos.

burni
28-01-2011, 19:01
E
Battle for the Abyss

Surely you meant:
Z
Battle for the Abyss

That book really is awful.

sk8er-guy123456
28-01-2011, 21:48
It's not so much the fact that you don't like that stuff which makes you weird. It's the fact you're reading a book series which is based around the fall of half of it's protaganists to that kind of behaviour.

I just dislike chaos bro. i like order and organization and chaos is the exact opposite. it is the dark/evil race of the universe. now if you enjoy it, good for you. but if im looking to find out which HH novels are written from a chaos perspective or a loyalist perspective, it makes me weird. ha anyways

Demon-cookie
28-01-2011, 23:06
If you don't like chaosy stuff legion is good as if I remember correctly there's almost no choas stuff. Besides that its awesome anyway i couldn't put it down and finished it within 13 hours of buying it.