PDA

View Full Version : White Dwarf How-To Articles a Touch Diluted?

Godzooky
27-01-2011, 10:04
Good morning, one and all.

Just got my latest White Dwarf in the post and have thumbed through the pages of BA sales propaganda with reckless aplomb.

I'm not the best painter, so I plan to use previous WD step-by-step guides they've provided on the DP, Skulltaker & The Sanguinor to get a better appreciation of some of the techniques used at a higher level.

One thing I've noticed, especially whenever they demonstrate a marine paint-job, is that they tend to take a plastic model from undercoat to Golden Demon standard in four or less photos. I'm sure it would really take far more steps to get the result they actually achieve.

Do people think GW could provide more comprehensive tutorials, or are they bang on the money and I'm just a cynical, slightly overweight ingrate?

Beaucoup thanks in advance for your thoughts, and have a lovely day. I love you all. :)

DarthSte
27-01-2011, 10:10
I've painted some fairly reasonable models using their painting guides in the past - my Skulltaker is actually quite good. But yeah, recently they seem to just focus on individual parts like "this is how we painted the eyes/holster/whatever" or skim over an entire model in 4 photos.
I most definately liked the more comprehensive tutorials.

Vadskær
27-01-2011, 10:22
It varies a lot, I think. The tutorial on the Legion of the Damned was pretty sweet, and I've used the techniques numerous times to good result. Some, however, are pretty bad. However, they do often say that you need to do multiple layers of this and that and slowly build up the colour/blend/highlight through several coats.

I'm usually quite happy with the tutorials they post.

/vadskær

The Marshel
27-01-2011, 10:32
evey metal guides are quite detailed imo, but the little guides they put up for the army of the month tend to skip a few things. i believe when they say paint the shoulder pad in blood red, leaving mecherite red in the recesses, what they are actually doing is thinning down their paints and carefully blending and layering the blood red using the skill and accuracy they have acquired between practice and natural talent.

the 12 year old just whacks that blood red on straight from the pot good thick and messy

its not that they are trying to trick or fool us (well, they might be, i dunno) its just that they dont have the space to go into that detail and the target audience probably doesn't care anyway

Rick Blaine
27-01-2011, 10:44
Yes, sometimes GW's instructions are kinda like this:

Doppleskanger
27-01-2011, 10:46
There's two levels to the painting guides. An 'expert' level reserved for characters which are normally incredibly detailed and contain really great detailed photographs.
Then there's a lower level most often used for troops. As you say typically they show painting in four stages but the models in the accompanying shots have normally gone through considerably more stages, normally seven or eight. Basically if you follow those guides to the exact letter you won't end up with the finished models as shown. Look carefully at the photos and figure out the bits they aren't showing you. If you can't figure out exactly what happens in a particular stage have a look at one of the 'expert' level guides and see if you can pick up the missing steps. It's normally additional levels of shading and highlighting though, so following the steps shown will still produce nice looking models, just not quite as refined.

Godzooky
27-01-2011, 10:46
Yes, sometimes GW's instructions are kinda like this:

Glorious. :D

Wicksy
27-01-2011, 13:43
To write an article to paint a miniature to Golden Demon winning standards would take several issues. My mate described the articles as more an inspiration to young painters who want to copy what they see in the magazines. The serious painters are going to go off and do their own thing. They are pretty good though. The number of people making really good attempts at NMM for example after Darren Latham's article on painting the Sanguinor has increased. Use them as a guide but expect to **** about trying to get it right.

Wintermute
27-01-2011, 19:30
I'm moving this thread to GW General

Wintermute

andyg2006
27-01-2011, 19:49
If (eg) you want Blood Angels 'eavy metal style, try the tutorial for Huron Blackheart - really nice orange-red + deep (elf flesh highlights ftw).

IMHO, quite a few of the colours seem to be:
Basecoat (let's call that 'main colour #1')
2 parts of 'main #1', mixed with 1 part of whatever the next lightest main basecoat colour is ('main #2')
Then same colours as the 2-1, but 1-1 instead
Some sort of wash (usually 'mud' or 'black')
1:1 (same colours as for the last 1:1)
2 parts of the 1-1, but mixed with 1 part of the next main basecoat colour up ('main #3')
then 1 part of the 1:1 mixed with 1 part (#3)
extreme highlight colour (e.g. possibly just '#3', or could be '#3' with white / graveyard earth / rotting flesh / bleached bone)

tezdal
27-01-2011, 20:55
One thing I've noticed, especially whenever they demonstrate a marine paint-job, is that they tend to take a plastic model from undercoat to Golden Demon standard in four or less photos. I'm sure it would really take far more steps to get the result they actually achieve.

More photos would make less room for mindless advertising, wouldn't want to waste space with useful content.

Zaonite
27-01-2011, 21:06
Does nobody remember the guide on Painting the Blood Angels from Space Hulk a year or two back? It spanned something like 10 pages! (maybe exaggeration). But it was great. Also the Sanguinor tutorial on NMM was really good.

I think it's the case of Characters get lots of treatment while normal troops get a brief description.

Sgt John Keel
28-01-2011, 04:15
If (eg) you want Blood Angels 'eavy metal style

Which one? They have used several different styles for painting the red on Blood Angels over the years, and as a result, the studio army looks really incoherent.

Earthbeard
28-01-2011, 18:31
More photos would make less room for mindless advertising, wouldn't want to waste space with useful content.

20 pages on how to paint a BA tactical marine is no more use to me than the magazine is either way, at least with the adverts, it's more pretty pictures :P, than a long how to....