PDA

View Full Version : Flaming attacks vs. Fear

T10
27-01-2011, 15:01
Situation: A unit of infantry carrying the -uh - banner that gives them flaming attacks are fighting a unit of Fear-causing cavalry and a unit of normal cavalry.

Obviously the Fear-causing cavalry is immune to Fear. And the normal cavalry has to test for fear. But should the infantry unit test for Fear? As a unit with flaming attacks it causes fear in models of specific troop types. But is that sufficient to claim immunity to Fear?

-T10

Synnister
27-01-2011, 15:48
yes. they'd be immune to the fear by cav but not other things that cause fear.

Trikk
27-01-2011, 17:12
What happens if there's a spell caster with Flaming spells?

Mid'ean
27-01-2011, 17:36
Any model that has a flaming attack will cause fear in war beast, cavalry and chariots.

Haravikk
27-01-2011, 20:09
That's a special rule of the spell rather than the spell caster themselves having the Flaming Attacks rule, so I don't believe the Fear element would kick in in that case?

Otherwise I'd say that Fear from flaming attacks will cancel out any Fear caused by the enemy cavalry or war beast units, but wouldn't cancel out Fear from other enemy units of another type. That's purely from a practical point of view though, from a rules stand point conditional Fear makes my head spin!

Cresistauead
27-01-2011, 20:18
According to the rulebook FAQ, a wizard with flaming spells causes fear in beasts, cavalry and chariots just like any other model with flaming attacks.

Trikk
27-01-2011, 23:34
A Black Coach would only cause Fear, not Terror, against a wizard with Lore of Fire then.

Palatine Katinka
28-01-2011, 00:28
...or anyone with the fireball bound spell ring and some Metal and Light Wizards.

Trikk
28-01-2011, 12:08
It actually makes sense. The wizard gets more confident to stand in the face of terror when he knows he has deadly spells to cast on them.

Similarly, ordinary cavalry mounts are fearful of a fire-spouting wizard. Maybe he has flames manifesting around him in some manner even when he's not directly casting spells.

T10
28-01-2011, 14:36
yes. they'd be immune to the fear by cav but not other things that cause fear.

I was going to object to this with something along the lines of "but they don't actually cause Fear!", but it makes sense in a way. It should work.

-T10