PDA

View Full Version : New WD cover.... Herald of Sixth edition?

Lucifer216
27-01-2011, 16:06
Hi all...

The February cover with its new original blood angel artwork has got me thinking.

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1640038a_WD374_OuterCover.jpg

There's something about its style and the use of a white background that smacks of the pictures of the ones seen in the 5th edition rulebook...

http://images.wikia.com/dow/images/f/fc/Sisters_of_battle_our_martyred_lady.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4bmNDokY_iE/TPwVrtwBeQI/AAAAAAAAAB4/YEk7dhyjPpM/s1600/crimson_fist.jpg

Lord Damocles
27-01-2011, 16:10
I don't understand.

Which 5th edition codex? Why would this WD cover looking like something from the current edition be a herald of next edition?

The Sister of Battle is 3rd ed. (see Codex: Witch Hunters). The Crimson Fist is 4th ed.
There were others in the series - a Tyranid Warrior, Word Bearer etc.

EDIT: Also, in the Grim Darkness of the far future there is no proportion? That Blood Angel is absurd!

Godzooky
27-01-2011, 16:10
The first thought that struck me when I saw that cover was just how ridiculously tiny his bonce is. Are GW trying to come up with a subtle explanation for why some marines don't wear helmets? Namely, their heads are so small that even Vindicares give up after they've missed for the sixth time. :p

FabricatorGeneralMike
27-01-2011, 16:19
Yeppers thats what I thought also. This is just getting silly. There is some Grey Knight concept art kicking around on the net. It's just as silly. Nice looking I just wish.....sighs this is how it all starts isn't it? :rolleyes:

Killgore
27-01-2011, 16:21
That artwork was used for the Blood Angels Omnibus Black Library book

I think it looks pretty snazzy

Crazy Ivan
27-01-2011, 16:25
I think it's just a picture. There's all kinds of new art on WD covers, I would be surprised if the editors were so subtle as to give us hints like that.

One the picture itself, that guy's head would fit into the barrel of his gun! He could clean the muzzle with his hair if he wanted too (although he's a Blood Angel, so he probably doesn't want to get it all dirty...)

Those older pictures are far better proportioned. Just compare this monstrosity to the Crimson Fist!

Lucifer216
27-01-2011, 16:27
Sorry I meant rulebook, not codex.

Lordsaradain
27-01-2011, 16:29
EDIT: Also, in the Grim Darkness of the far future there is no proportion? That Blood Angel is absurd!

Agree, his fists would look big even if they were Power Fists...

loveless
27-01-2011, 16:29
That Blood Angel was clearly on the receiving end of an Ork Weirdboy "'ead Shrinka" spell...

Apologist
27-01-2011, 16:36
The images that accompany the species' blurbs in the 5th ed. Rulebook were either commissioned for the rulebook* (in the case of Kopinski's Crimson Fist, Eldar Farseer epic Grynx! and Goff ork) or were the same artworks from a series of promo flyers (hence the old-style Cadian and Tyranid Hive Tyrant).

Re-use of artwork is pretty common, so I doubt it's a herald of 6th ed. Cool idea though :)

*Please feel free to correct me

Hendarion
27-01-2011, 17:13
Hmm, you think so?
To me it totally fits. Exactly like that: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_LG9Xf_vgmdo/TMxKPpP3rFI/AAAAAAAAB8o/Bl6tfuPrk-Y/s1600/Beetlejuice-beetlejuice-the-movie-1081504_848_477.jpg
(*cough* ... that was a joke about Muweeenz being a no-brainer-army ... *cough*)

ColShaw
27-01-2011, 17:16
Dang that's some thick armor.

Or else there's something wrong with the gene-seed.

Howloutloud
27-01-2011, 17:51
To be honest, I think the heads a little small. However it's more realistic than a lot of the other Space Marine/Chaos pictures where the heads are perfectly sized to the armor. It's supposed to be this large bulky armor, yet when its all on it looks like its a second skin...

This however leads to another problem. With the Blood Angels head being so small it makes me wonder... How are his limbs able to reach all the way to the gloves/boots? Does he look like http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Tau/TAU-ACCESSORIES/TAU-AIR-CASTE-PILOTS.html under there?

(note by this I mean the length of the body, arms and legs. not the hooves for feet nor the tau head... :) )

biggreengribbly
27-01-2011, 18:08
To be honest, I think the heads a little small. However it's more realistic than a lot of the other Space Marine/Chaos pictures where the heads are perfectly sized to the armor. It's supposed to be this large bulky armor, yet when its all on it looks like its a second skin...

This however leads to another problem. With the Blood Angels head being so small it makes me wonder... How are his limbs able to reach all the way to the gloves/boots? Does he look like http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Tau/TAU-ACCESSORIES/TAU-AIR-CASTE-PILOTS.html under there?

(note by this I mean the length of the body, arms and legs. not the hooves for feet nor the tau head... :) )

I believe Privateer Press in times gone by threw out a cutaway diagram of one of their massive suits of armour (Khadoran Man o' War armour) that had controls in the elbows and the knees the pilot hooked his hands/feet into to operate the rest of the limb :shifty:

The Anarchist
27-01-2011, 18:53
wow so turns out theres more than one problem with the BA gene-seed, it shrinks an important appendage....the head. I looked at this, closed the window and then had to go back and look again as it was so odd and apprent when you look a second time.

Wildkard
27-01-2011, 19:40
Its not new artwork, its actually from the cover of James Swallow's Blood angel omnibus ;)

And yes...he has a tiny head :P

edit - ARG I would say I was ninjad by Killgore, but that would be a lie...I just missed his post lol

Wolf Lord Balrog
27-01-2011, 19:42
No joke, definitely a bit of a proportion problem there.

Chem-Dog
27-01-2011, 20:42
Hi all...

The February cover with its new original blood angel artwork has got me thinking.

It looks a lot like the work of Phil Sibbering and since his illustration is used on the covers for Deus Encarmine and Deus Sanguinius (http://www.philipsibbering.com/Portfolio/BL_Gallery.shtml) I wouldn't find it hard to imagine this is either an unused final piece from that project or a progression, possibly linked to a BL BA release (but not necessarily).

Of course it might not be him and I might be talking out of my hat....

EDIT> Link shenanigans!....scroll down to the third row for the Sanguinius/Encarmine pic.

Designer891
27-01-2011, 20:52
I said that about this pic somewhere in warseer and someone explained to me how its in proportion and showed me a chart on how much bigger marines are then reg humans but their heads stay the same normal size. I was told the figs are way off scale and the picture are right on.

It's totally ridiculous and lame.. you know how freaking long his arms and legs would have to be, not to mention he would have to be 12' tall to make his head look so tiny. I hate the art work with these pea headed marines, there is one of a GK librarian that looks worse he is in terminator armor.

Archangel_Ruined
27-01-2011, 21:44
I don't think it's that far off, scale wise. The armour is going to be incredibly bulky, those helmets are going to be a good couple of inches thick. If anything I'd agree that the scale on the models is frankly ludicrous, the bare heads are pretty much the same size as the helmets. Right...

Designer891
27-01-2011, 21:54
I don't think it's that far off, scale wise. The armour is going to be incredibly bulky, those helmets are going to be a good couple of inches thick. If anything I'd agree that the scale on the models is frankly ludicrous, the bare heads are pretty much the same size as the helmets. Right...

I agree with the bare heads... but not so much on Eldar since they have thin armor. But the drawings are way crazy, like I said look how long the arms and legs would have to be... you would have a body like a fantasy troll with a tiny head.

Edit: I took another look with that tiny head he couldn't even see out of the visor ... so yeah way off scale. I don't think power armor helmet is a foot thick.

autarch dsaliuvid
27-01-2011, 22:16
I dont think it is a sign of the next edition. That head is so small it looks like a small child has climbed into daddys power armor.:)

Tavendale
27-01-2011, 22:18
I just love that the background artist took inspiration from the Ultramarines movie!

Archangel_Ruined
27-01-2011, 23:14
I don't think the eyes would have to line up with the eye pieces on the armour, screens or what not. I also think the scale would be a bit off to the naked eye, an eight foot tall man might be broad but he'll still have the same sized bonce. I'm 6'4" and pretty bloody leggy (I'm mainly limb, it would seem), I look odd enough next to shorter blokes on the rugby pitch. If I were more than a foot taller and a hell of a lot bigger in the shoulders I'd look like a badly drawn cartoon too.