PDA

View Full Version : We can't believe they're remaking...

forthegloryofkazadekrund
28-01-2011, 04:10
I know theres a movie thread allready but thats for reviews, this one is about remakes coming soon, a whole load of 80s movies from execs/writers with nearly no original ideas left, many others in the link, just some here

http://www.virginmedia.com/movies/features/remakes-remakes-remakes-2.php

CommandoThe mystery of Sam Worthington's rise to fame is set to continue, with the plank-like star of Clash Of The Titans taking the lead in the remake of iconic 80s action flick Commando. He'll be playing the marvellously named John Matrix, immortalised by Arnie in the original. No word on who'll play his kidnapped daughter (it was Alyssa Milano first time round), but the writer of Training Day is attached to direct. So who knows, it might not be all that bad. Expect it in late 2011.

The Crow
Yes, The Crow is set to be resurrected again, but donít expect goth imagery and a skinny guy with lank hair. Word is, the remake will be a complete overhaul. To give you some idea, Mark Wahlberg was rumoured to be in the running as a "blue collar" Crow in a gritty, documentary-like movie co-written by alt-rocker Nick Cave. This script may yet be re-written though, after the recent departure of director Stephen Norrington. Whatever happens, expect a very different take on this seminal comic book adaptation, and for it to be nothing like Max Payne

Conan The Barbarian
The original helped turn Schwarzenegger into the worldís most famous beefcake, but will the remake of Conan The Barbarian do the same for Stargate actor Jason Momoa? Maybe, but itís likely most of the attention will focus on all the oiled-up barbarian ladies (leaked photos have already got fan-boys too excited for their own good). Itís directed by Marcus Nispel, who canít so much as look at a sandwich without remaking it (the retreads of Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Friday The 13th already stain his CV).

Judge Dredd
A rare example of an absolutely necessary remake, this. The original Judge Dredd is generally regarded as an insult to the comic and, indeed, to the entire civilised world. Luckily, Dredd creator John Wagner has endorsed the new version, which will star Karl Urban, who was great as McCoy in the Star Trek reboot. Itís being filmed in Johannesburg with involvement from the guys who made District 9 such a fantastic sci-fi satire. Best of all? Dredd WONíT be taking his helmet off this time.

Mad Max
What with his recent "difficulties", itís no surprise to learn Mel Gibson wonít be turning up in the new Mad Max. Instead, Tom Hardy is set to become the road warrior, and heís clearly been giving it some thought. Speaking in an interview, Hardy said: "You grab a cat by the throat and stuff it under the water. You know what it looks like? Thatís what Iím going to look like." Good to know heís got a new, if worrying, take on the character.

Police Academy
If we were to watch them again theyíd obviously make us cringe ourselves into a ball, but we have warm, fuzzy memories of the Police Academy movies, all 548 of them (roughly). Paul Maslanskyís still at the helm, and it looks like heís going to reassemble the old crew to tutor new recruits. Letís hope the bloke who did sound effects is back, he was a hoot.

Total Recall
Based on the work of sci-fi supremo Philip K Dick, Total Recall went through a staggering 42 script changes. It was originally supposed to be a serious adaptation before Arnie stepped in and started shooting stuff up. Itís hard to guess whether the remake will go down the arty or action route, but Colin Farrell is favourite to take the lead. In Bruges showed how good he is at playing a confused but lethal hero, so this may prove a bit of clever casting.

The Addams Family
If ever there was a man put on this Earth to remake The Addams Family, that man is Tim Burton. His gothic and darkly witty imagination is exactly suited to the material, and word is heíll be going right back to the source Ė not previous adaptations like Addams Family Values, but the original Charles Addams comic strips. Itíll also be in stop-motion animation, so fans of A Nightmare Before Christmas will be happy. Whoís betting Johnny Depp will do the voice of Gomez?

Robocop
The no-nonsense Robocop cast a long shadow over the 80s, and so weíre apprehensive about seeing him march back into action. Luckily, The Wrestlerís director Darren Aronofsky is the man set to do the deed, so expect Mickey Rourke in some fetching spandex to be the first criminal he metes out his own brand of brutal justice to.

Escape From New York
An update of this John Carpenter classic was inevitable Ė nearly all of his big hits have been 're-imagined'. Gerard Butler was set to star but has pulled out Ė the latest goss is Breck Eisnerís on board to direct. He's the man who gave the world Sahara, but more encouragingly the scriptís been receiving praise - presumably itís a photocopy of the original, then.

Flash Gordon
The original's an OTT classic which we love dearly in the same way we love Brian Blessed (i.e. at armís length, with slight worry). Remake king Breck Eisnerís on board for this too, and has pledged 3D effects and a toned down take on the camper bits of Flash. Why, Breck, why? Itís like remaking Moulin Rouge without the songs...

Gremlins
These little critters were everywhere in the 80s, going from cute to scary quicker than a member of Sugababes in Tiger Tiger. Hollywood execs have now decided itís time to have them back, but hopefully it wonít shatter all our childhood memories Ė the original writer and the star, Zach Galligan, have both made positive noises about being involved in a 3D reboot.

New Cult King
28-01-2011, 06:38
Damn 3D - worst thing ever to hit modern films.

</cranky old coot>

They shouldn't be touching The Crow or Conan. The rest I'm kind of ambivalent about.

Ozorik
28-01-2011, 06:53
The Crow remake may be at least interesting (mainly due to Nick Cave) but the Flash Gordon remake will be terrible.

Nocculum
28-01-2011, 07:21
Aronofsky doing Robocop has made me slightly moist, but Mr. Lee's Crow is turning in it's grave at the thought of a remake...

Flash Gordon was perfect though :(

neXus6
28-01-2011, 08:10
I fully agree with the comment on Judge Dredd and was delighted to hear Karl Urban was going to be playing the lead. While the original has a place in my heart from watching in my mid-teens I accept that it is a terrible movie for so so many reasons even if some bits were cool.

Of course as far as recent remakes go atleast this list is of films with some slight age to them when you compare them to the likes of the 95% shot for shot american remakes of Let The Right One In or REC.

As for 3D...the biggest problem with this fad for me is that many films which are making use of it do not release specific normal versions. This means you have those horrible moments of obvious shots focused on objects coming towards the camera. While these may allow for dramatic use of 3D, when it is a regular film it just looks like bad film making.

reds8n
28-01-2011, 08:15
http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/737232/lethal_weapon_reboot_on_the_cards.html

..yeah, the world needs a reboot of the "Lethal Weapon" franchise right ? :wtf::rolleyes:

AndrewGPaul
28-01-2011, 08:39
http://www.virginmedia.com/movies/features/remakes-remakes-remakes-2.php

CommandoThe mystery of Sam Worthington's rise to fame is set to continue, with the plank-like star of Clash Of The Titans taking the lead in the remake of iconic 80s action flick Commando. He'll be playing the marvellously named John Matrix, immortalised by Arnie in the original. No word on who'll play his kidnapped daughter (it was Alyssa Milano first time round), but the writer of Training Day is attached to direct. So who knows, it might not be all that bad. Expect it in late 2011.

Wooden acting? He'll be perfect in Commando, then. :)

Judge Dredd
A rare example of an absolutely necessary remake, this. The original Judge Dredd is generally regarded as an insult to the comic and, indeed, to the entire civilised world. Luckily, Dredd creator John Wagner has endorsed the new version, which will star Karl Urban, who was great as McCoy in the Star Trek reboot. It’s being filmed in Johannesburg with involvement from the guys who made District 9 such a fantastic sci-fi satire. Best of all? Dredd WON’T be taking his helmet off this time.

I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, but all the production photos I've seen have given me grave misgivings. For all its flaws, the previous Dredd movie at least looked like Mega-City One. This one ... really doesn't. Does this (http://www.cinemaspy.com/Movie-News/Check-Out-Karl-Urban-in-Judge-Dredd-Costume-on-Lawmaster-Bike/4916) look like a Lawmaster to you?

TimLeeson
28-01-2011, 08:44
Well I think Conan desperately needs a good film adaptation considering how awful the Arnie ones were, they completely trampled over REH's writing. It would be amazing to see an actual proper adaptation of Robert E Howard's writing put to film - but sadly I think it's too awesome to be realistic. Lovecraftian Fantasy is just too good for the masses.

Put simply Shuma Gorrath is crying in his eldritch dimension.

nagash66
28-01-2011, 09:03
Remaking any and all films should be made illegal, if you need to add to the idea that much make a prequel or sequel or some other no good idea.

Edit i am also adding the Thundercats cartoon/anime re make to this list.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=30511

TimLeeson
28-01-2011, 09:55
I disagree, not all remakes are bad. Carpenters version of The Thing was far superior and truer to the original short-story than the 50's thing from another world. There can be good legit remakes, they are just -very very- rare. Especially nowadays.

[lexus]
28-01-2011, 11:49
Oh I support the idea of a new Total Recall version. But thats just because I dislike 80's SciFi with their silly dresses and terrible cardboard sets.

And the Addams Family movie made by Tim Burton? Oh thats gonna be cinema GOLD!

I dislike the idea of a Crow Remake. It was good as it was. Bet its gonna replace all the Goth with Indie. Bah.
Also, someone shoot the guy that wants more police academy movies. Seriously, the first was funny, the second was meh and after that it was all just boring crap.

AFnord
28-01-2011, 12:13
I hope that many of these movies will stay more true to the original source material rather than the original movies. While the first Conan movie was enjoyable, if viewed in a vacuum, it really does not do Robert E. Howard's books justice. I hope that the new movie will stay more true to the books (and not do what relatively recent War of the worlds movie did... take a decent movie (that was very unfaithful to the source material) and make it worse and even more unfaithful to the source material).

sigur
28-01-2011, 13:48
@TimLeeson: True. I used to have one or two good examples for that but at the moment just can think of another one I watched last night: Cape Fear.

Commando: Sacrilege and not remakable. The whole thing depends on Schwarzenegger and Bennett to work. Apart from that, it's just an 80s action flick. With them, it's a timeless action classic.

The Crow: It will be completely different. They have no other choice. So hard to say anything about that but I guess it won't be as good.

Conan the Barbarian: Basically the problem of both aforementioned films. A.) Unremakable due to Schwarzenegger, Milius' vision and the fact that it's not the 80s any more so cool things don't happen. B.) They know all that and it will be a completely different film.

Judge Dredd: This list shows us that Hollywood is getting desperate to get new action stars. They realize that the old ones won't work any more plus they are famous enough to be able to do their own stuff. Anyway, i've never been that a great fan of the first film (and I don't really read comicbooks) so I guess it might be okay or not. What we can assume is that it won't have the comic relief american gigolo guy so it can't be that bad.

Mad Max: This is one of the few from that list I'd be looking forward to see. With a proper budget, they could do cool things with that material the there's a serious lack of post-apocalyptic films out there. Apart from that, young Mel Gibson wasn't that a unique character not to be replacable.

Police Academy: This won't happen. I can't imagine that happening. Just trying to think of people who would star in that: The Rock, Carrot Top, Paulie Shore, Tara Reid, Christian Slater, Michael Richards in a cameo, Harold from Harold and Kumar, the pot-smoking guy from the Scary Movie films, Gunnery Sgt. Hartman in a cameo, Damon Wayans, the girl who used to be a singer and then played in Freddy vs. Jason, Jerry Stiller (little role as chief of police), Charlie Sheen (cameo) and John Travolta as the guy who was played by G. W. Bailey (who also gets a cameo of course as president of the U...no, wait, that would be too risquť for that kind of film. Let's say as the governor of some state). Yup, sounds pretty bad.

Total Recall: I like Total Recall. And this one might actually work because Arnold didn't quite play his same old role in this one. As long as they keep it colourful and fun, it might work.

The Addams Family: Oh dear, why don't the art historians and people with a halfway decent education of the world (and I know that there's lot of them) rise up against the terribly wrong use of the word "gothic" that happens at least every six hours? Oh, and isn't it cute how they always say "oh, this one is going to be different; we're using the comics as source material now!" just so they can do their usual hollywood remake - sorry, reimagining drek but they don't have to fear to be compared to the original because - hey, it's a different thing (but of course not too different so people who liked the films won't be too offended to buy a ticket and a dvd) Anyway, I have no idea if it would work. I really don't need a remake of the Addams Family. Stop motion is cool, Tim Burton ....not so much when combined with animation I'm afraid. I don't know. I probably wouldn't watch it but you never know.

Robocop: I think that this one would work phantastically and I actually would very much like to see what Verhoeven would do with it these days. This film would work pretty well as a remake. Computer effects would work well with this one and updated social commentary would be fun as well.

Escape from New York: One of my favorite action films, the first and the second (or more like remake) as well and without a doubt one of the most awesome heros in film history. I might even be able to live with a different guy playing Snake Plissken. Just make sure he can wear an eyepatch, stubbles, long hair and camo pants that border silly and still look badass and you're set. His physique is also quite fitting for today's action stars as well. Could work. Wouldn't be the same but it could work. The only problem is that street gangs aren't as fun to look at any more.

Flash Gordon: I don't care all that much but they probably would be too afraid to keep the original visuals of the film and the comics as well (yes, I read a flash gordon comicbook many years ago) so it probably would be a halfway meh comicbook action film. They'd have the rest of the Queen dudes write some new title song, sung by some new rock star or they'd just get another band that's hip at the moment to use songs that sound like Queen's so they don't have to pay. I'd actually have a good laugh at that just because it would **** SO many people off.

Gremlins: Sure, why not. I don't see why they can't be updated. Of course it would be all CGI and therefore really soulless but I don't have very strong emotions towards the Gremlins films.

ltsobel
28-01-2011, 16:50
Most of thos remakes fill me with fear but apparently the True Grit remake is good so theres some hope. Thinking about some of them maybe my hazy 80s memories of them is sugar coated, must go and watch.

That said no Brian B no Flash - GORDONS ALIVE!

AndrewGPaul
28-01-2011, 18:18
Remaking any and all films should be made illegal, if you need to add to the idea that much make a prequel or sequel or some other no good idea.

Edit i am also adding the Thundercats cartoon/anime re make to this list.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=30511

Nonsense. It's like anything else; if you think you can do a better job than the last guy, go ahead and try it. It's no different than innovation in any other industry.

Yodhrin
28-01-2011, 21:58
Nonsense. It's like anything else; if you think you can do a better job than the last guy, go ahead and try it. It's no different than innovation in any other industry.

I'm afraid what you just said is the nonsense. If I innovate in most industries, I'll maybe have to jump through some hoops with health and safety procedures, or butter up a stuck up manager. I can even just invent something amazing and go right to the press.

In movies, the writer's vision is subject to the director's vision, the director's is subject to that of the producers', and theirs is decided on the basis of shallow statistical analysis of specific age and gender demographics, and further moulded by "test" viewings. Not to mention the constant pressure from the studios to make films in certain ways, to write stories in certain ways, to change films to take advantage of the absolute bleeding edge of moronic marketing-based "advancements" in technology(see - 3D), and to avoid upsetting any potentially powerful lobby groups like the religious right, Outraged Mothers and so on.

Now certainly, you can go off and make an ultra-low budget arthouse indie film, and pray it's well received enough to get picked up by a studio and thus get a wide audience....at which point they will "remake" it in exactly the manner described in this thread, because your incisive and challenging indie arthouse flick won't play well with Generic 18-34 Slightly Overweight White Males. The entire film industry is structured to crush and stifle innovation, because innovation threatens the monolithic corporate entities in charge.

Burnthem
28-01-2011, 22:10
Surprised nobody has mentioned the remake of Spiderman that's being done, http://www.empireonline.com/futurefilms/film.asp?id=135132, the last three are so recent that this seems absurd to me.

AndrewGPaul
28-01-2011, 22:36
I'm afraid what you just said is the nonsense. If I innovate in most industries, I'll maybe have to jump through some hoops with health and safety procedures, or butter up a stuck up manager. I can even just invent something amazing and go right to the press.

In movies, the writer's vision is subject to the director's vision, the director's is subject to that of the producers', and theirs is decided on the basis of shallow statistical analysis of specific age and gender demographics, and further moulded by "test" viewings. Not to mention the constant pressure from the studios to make films in certain ways, to write stories in certain ways, to change films to take advantage of the absolute bleeding edge of moronic marketing-based "advancements" in technology(see - 3D), and to avoid upsetting any potentially powerful lobby groups like the religious right, Outraged Mothers and so on.

Now certainly, you can go off and make an ultra-low budget arthouse indie film, and pray it's well received enough to get picked up by a studio and thus get a wide audience....at which point they will "remake" it in exactly the manner described in this thread, because your incisive and challenging indie arthouse flick won't play well with Generic 18-34 Slightly Overweight White Males. The entire film industry is structured to crush and stifle innovation, because innovation threatens the monolithic corporate entities in charge.

I take your point, but it is possible to push your own vision - at least if you're James Cameron :)

Still, it's no reason for arbitrary censorship.

Bestaltan
28-01-2011, 23:21
Wow Hollywood. Just........wow.

Any chance China might go ahead and just take Hollywood off our hands in exchange for some debt reduction? Or would we have to pay China even more for them to take it?

sigur
29-01-2011, 11:05
Surprised nobody has mentioned the remake of Spiderman that's being done, http://www.empireonline.com/futurefilms/film.asp?id=135132, the last three are so recent that this seems absurd to me.

I guess it's because, as you said, it's not a remake but a crappy sequel and maybe even the studio executives weren't as shameless as to think of it as a remake. I don't know. Anyway, I'm really not fussed by these upcoming films. They seem pretty desperate and certainly won't hold up to the Sam Raimi films which I think of as being the best and most human comicbook films to date (all three really).

Maybe I'm judging the new ones too early but they seem like they're the season in which major cast changes happen to a tv series and thereby just ruin it. (the only comparable thing I can think of is when they changed the Ray character in Due South after season 2).

BorderKing
29-01-2011, 17:03
Am I the only one that liked Judge Dredd?

I also can't see how Flash Gordon would work without Brian Blessed. The only way I could see it working is if he's still in it and it's more of a sequel then a remake.

I can't wait for the remake of Escape From New York ? It could be epic, given a decent budget.

The others shouldn't really be remade, as they are classics.

TheBigBadWolf
29-01-2011, 20:11
I quite liked Judge Dredd and was excited about the remake untill seeing that lawmaster, the original had pretty good props, sets and costumes (bar the lawgiver but it was still cool)

AndrewGPaul
29-01-2011, 20:39
Yeah, that's what bugs me. Being a comic book story at heart, Judge Dredd is a very visual thing. The last movie at least understood that, and had quite a distinct visual style. This one? To be honest, the shots of the vehicles remind me not of Robocop, as others have suggested, but Dark Angel, and that was a TV series! plain black leather and matte-black Fords might be more "gritty and realistic", but it's also nothing special. The film with Stallone might not have been a good Dredd story, but it was at least a half-decent Mega-City One story.

Rabid Bunny 666
29-01-2011, 22:20
I'm miffed about the Crow and Conan, they're darn good as they are. A new Judge Dredd could be good, although the rest of that list isn't looking too good. Can't Hollywood try to write NEW franchises instead of redoing old ones. I remember a while ago that Vin Diesel was thinking of remaking Pitch Black, which is just stupid.

theunwantedbeing
29-01-2011, 22:55
Am I the only one that liked Judge Dredd?

I also can't see how Flash Gordon would work without Brian Blessed. The only way I could see it working is if he's still in it and it's more of a sequel then a remake.

It'll need to have a very different syle to the original.
Otherwise Blessed or not, it'll be compared unfavourably to the original.

I'de like to see the Robocop remake, and have robocop not be rediculously lame. ie. Make him look and move like Master Cheif from Halo.
Rather than having the range of motion of a barbie doll.

Also, I liked Judge Dredd.

The new Spiderman might be good, although I hope they have better CGI.
Actor Spidey turning into Rubber-Spidey for those CGI scenes was something I rally loathed.

forthegloryofkazadekrund
29-01-2011, 23:08
Looks like they may be rebooting spiderman, i mean if they do, how long was it since the last one. Some need it like the Hulk (was realy realy needed) and turned out very well. Some movies they should just stay well away from

El Torro
30-01-2011, 11:12
Mad Max: This is one of the few from that list I'd be looking forward to see. With a proper budget, they could do cool things with that material the there's a serious lack of post-apocalyptic films out there. Apart from that, young Mel Gibson wasn't that a unique character not to be replacable.

I agree wholeheartedly with this statement. The Mad Max films are all great in my opinion (even the third one) and I'd be happy to see more films in similar settings. I'd prefer it if they tried making a new series of post apocalyptic films without the name "Mad Max" attached to it but this is the next best thing.

TimLeeson
30-01-2011, 11:43
I disagree with those saying Conan doesnt need to be remade. There should be proper Conan The Cimmerian films based on and true to REH's original stories.

Phoenix on the Sword, The Queen of the Black Coast, The Slithering Shadow, The Jewels of Gwahlur, The Pool of the Black One, The Devil in Iron would all make awesome films if done properly.

sigur
30-01-2011, 14:08
The new Spiderman might be good, although I hope they have better CGI.
Actor Spidey turning into Rubber-Spidey for those CGI scenes was something I rally loathed.

This is something I SO don't care about but that's just me. ;) CG looks rubbish most of the time anyway and until they are able to make stuff weigh something, this won't change.

@TimLeeson: Yes, that may apply for the people who like the comicbooks and I guess that there's some kind of truth in that. Me, I prefer things I like not to be turned into films but to each his own.

@theunwantedbeing: *suffers greatly from robocop comment*

marv335
30-01-2011, 14:39
I too would like to see a decent Conan film.
It's not that Arnie was bad, it's just that he made Conan into an unthinking thug as opposed to the clever warrior that REH created.

Zink
30-01-2011, 18:54
I disagree with those saying Conan doesnt need to be remade. There should be proper Conan The Cimmerian films based on and true to REH's original stories.

Phoenix on the Sword, The Queen of the Black Coast, The Slithering Shadow, The Jewels of Gwahlur, The Pool of the Black One, The Devil in Iron would all make awesome films if done properly.

X2. :) I love the Conan stories by REH and the ones that were based off his works that other people changed into Conan. I like the orignial Conan movie (especially the soundtrack) but just watched the destroyer and was disappointed with it Something true to the original stories would have me very happy. Not sure what to think of the upcoming film.

Grimtuff
30-01-2011, 19:05
The Addams Family
If ever there was a man put on this Earth to remake The Addams Family, that man is Tim Burton. His gothic and darkly witty imagination is exactly suited to the material, and word is heíll be going right back to the source Ė not previous adaptations like Addams Family Values, but the original Charles Addams comic strips. Itíll also be in stop-motion animation, so fans of A Nightmare Before Christmas will be happy. Whoís betting Johnny Depp will do the voice of Gomez?

Ugh. This comment riled me. Do your research Virgin. TIM BURTON DID NOT DIRECT NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS*! :mad: Henry Selick (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0783139/) did.

*Burton only wrote the story. He was directing Batman at the time. ;)

sigur
30-01-2011, 19:51
Do your research Virgin.

:wtf: I surely hope that this is an obscure reference or quote.

Anyway, I can't see any mention of Tim Burton directing either of the films. Apart from that, I vaguely remember Nightmare before Christmas being stop motion, just like these rumors say that the new Addams Family (yes, shudder as you read these three words together. :D ) film will be so I don't find anything really problematic with forthegloryofkazadekrund's statement.

Grimtuff
30-01-2011, 19:52
:wtf: I surely hope that this is an obscure reference or quote.

As in Virgin Media, where the story was from. the link is in the opening post. :p

sigur
30-01-2011, 20:05
:D Ah alright. Little misunderstanding there.

Lars Porsenna
31-01-2011, 00:02
I also can't see how Flash Gordon would work without Brian Blessed.

Good lord! I can't see how Flash Gordon would work without QUEEN! For me, Brian Blessed is just a fat guy in a bird suit compared to the SONDTRACK!

Damon.

nagash66
31-01-2011, 00:12
For me, Brian Blessed is just a fat guy in a bird suit compared to the SONDTRACK!

You speak Heresy most foul good sir :p.

Lars Porsenna
31-01-2011, 00:39
You speak Heresy most foul good sir :p.

Nonetheless, I am prepared. Say, pistols at dawn?

Damon :p

HK-47
31-01-2011, 00:52
I think it's sad how uncreative Hollywood is becoming.

New Cult King
31-01-2011, 01:48
I agree with the comments about proper REH stories about Conan being made, rather than just redoing the original Barbarian Arnie movie with different actors etc.

There are some epic stories waiting to be told there, and I would watch and buy all of them if done well. Hell, I bought Pathfinder, I'm so desperate for some (any) sword & sorcery type films.

Raellos
31-01-2011, 02:45
I honestly can't see much there to complain about. There's far more things on the list that warrant revisiting than what should probably be left alone.

Hollywood is as it always has been. The ordinary is just filtered from the cultural memory.

sigur
31-01-2011, 11:21
I think that within the past 10 years, the number of remakes and this desperate hunt to turn stuff into a FRANCHISE has increased quite a bit.

Easy E
04-02-2011, 13:31
I would honsetly love to see someone re-make the original Star Wars. If I live long enough, it might actually happen.

I have a feeling, Darth Vadar would be the hero, and the rebellion would be the villains. How dare those young whipper snappers try to overthrow law and order! Don't rock the boat! Stay with the Status Quo to protect you from the scary "change" out there isn the galaxy!

Flash Gordon- That can't possibly make it "fun" enough, because modern Hollywood does not understand how to do that. It will hav e to be all gritty, post-modern, and cool.

Conan- I'm down with that! The original Conan was awesome and showed Conan as more than just a muscle bound thug. Destoryer.... not so much... I always wanted to see Conan the King that the end of Destroyer hints at.

Robocop- This flick would fit perfectly in our modern era. There is no need to remake it, because the first ones message still resonates today.

Lars Porsenna
04-02-2011, 13:51
Re: a Star Wars remake (and really any remakes in general). Take whatever elements of SW you love the most, and remove them. Possibly replace with something hackneyed (like "Love conquers all!") and as non-offensive as you can be. Fill it with pretty tween actors and EXPOLSIONS! and there you are...

Maybe a redo of the prequels, but the original movies? The hue and cry would be deafening...

Damon.

nagash66
04-02-2011, 14:05
The only way they will ever remake the original Star Wars will be over a pile of dead fans who gave their last breaths trying to stop it.

sigur
04-02-2011, 14:32
....or if George Lucas decides that he needs a new car. :)

Col. Frost
04-02-2011, 16:09
I think that within the past 10 years, the number of remakes and this desperate hunt to turn stuff into a FRANCHISE has increased quite a bit.

I just hope Hollywood leaves British cinema (and every other countries cinema for that) well alone when it comes to 'remakes', 're-invisioning' and 're-telling' films. I need name but a few classics that were utterly butchered and the battered corpes raped by Hollywood Execs...

Get Carter - Stallone needs to die for this sacrilage :skull:
The Italian Job - eh? same name, totally different film, but it had Minis! :shifty:
School for Scoundrels - Charming classic turned into tosh
The Lady Killers - Ealing classic butchered

/RANT

Sorry bout that, but it really grinds my gears ;)

Easy E
04-02-2011, 18:05
The Lady Killers[/B] - Ealing classic butchered

I will disagree with you on this. But then, I am a Coen Brothers Fanboi!

ColShaw
04-02-2011, 21:20
Those of you saying that the original Star Wars will never be remade...

...George Lucas has already done it. He keeps tweaking them, releasing new materials. Oh... and Lucas, if you're listening? HAN SHOT FIRST!

Deamon-forge
04-02-2011, 21:30
well, all my fav films are their and i dont want them to re do Robocop it wount be as gory as the first at all. over top gore is a 80's thing in films.

commando-- well i just love the film and they better do a good job.

the crow-- Dont even touch this film! the rest were well crap in a nice word first is the best.

prob get linched but i liked Judge Dredd *runs of and hide*

mad max--hmm any thing PA is good :)

Lothlanathorian
05-02-2011, 12:09
*skips thread*

The Addams Family

No no gods no please no no more Tim Burton please no no no no

colmarekblack
07-02-2011, 00:28
The Flash Gordon remake fills me with trepidation. The original version (1980) with the camp theme, Queen soundtrack and cheesy effects was and still is a joy to watch (even if the wood beast scene does give me the creeps :().

Nothing in my opinion will change that fact ever. I'd like to think if it ever got a remake, fans of the original film would deny its existence and carry on with their lives. Kinda like Red Dwarf after series 6 ;).

Kenzaburo
07-02-2011, 01:28
flash - ahaaaa! :D

i'd like to see a proper use of R.E.Howard's Conan stories, maybe even going to the King Conan parts, where he rules Aquilonia. His rise to kingship, losing it to traitors and reclaiming it would make a nice epic.

momoa is a likeable guy and i kinda can see him as a conan. but why is it impossible to cast conan as he's described - black hair, blue eyes...can't be that hard.
would like for them to go the visual route of the comic books released by dark horse a couple of years ago. they were a visual retelling of the original short stories and looked awesome.

Bassik
07-02-2011, 11:10

Can you imagine an American doctor Who?
First of all, the actors will have the pure and plastic skin of vat-grown tweens that seems to be so populair now, and there will be more explosions, but a much lower deathtoll, for the kiddies.
Also the Daleks will be replaced by a female terminator-ripoff with too much sex-apeal and not enough exterminate-apeal.

And it won't be about the doctor at all, but about his tweeny companions. The dog will have a big role so they can sell more toys.

Lothlanathorian
07-02-2011, 22:47
I actually think an American Doctor Who would be much darker in tone than the British version.

sigur
08-02-2011, 21:21
I actually think an American Doctor Who would be much darker in tone than the British version.

Gee I sure wish they redo everything but with like a dark and a grit to it so my demographic likes it more.

Lothlanathorian
09-02-2011, 05:22
Now, now, Sigur, I didn't say I wanted it to happen, just that, if done, the direction I think they'd go. I'd be completely and 100%* against it.

*redundant redundancy

New Cult King
09-02-2011, 22:46
I would like to see a Tom Cruise-less remake of War of the Worlds.

The scene where everyone is clamouring to get on the boat/ferry, and the Martian tripod thinger comes over the hill and lets that big horn/howl blast out... that was actually scary :D If they could maintain that feel through the whole film, it would be amazing.

TimLeeson
09-02-2011, 23:45
Well, an American dr who cant be much worse than the Welsh series has done so far IMO - with its mass of deus-ex-machinas, hollywood action sequences, CGI-overloads and monsters that mostly look like they belong to Furry conventions - not to mention all those cringe-inducing scenes and godawful dialogue, oh and all that terrible "wibbly wobbly timey whimey" stuff - which makes me want to kick children whenever I hear it.

I'd love it if they did a proper lovecraftian/gallifreyan mythological type series (like where the 90's NA's were going, which were so much better than the tv series!) with paul mcgann and then had him regenerate into someone like Rudolph Walker : http://www.blackpresence.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/rudolph-walker.jpg

Hell, another choice for a new retconned 9th would be Alexander Siddig (he played doctor bashir in star trek deep space nine).

forthegloryofkazadekrund
11-02-2011, 10:04
http://www.moviefone.co.uk/2011/02/06/best-movie-remakes-ever/

Just found this while checking my E-Mails "best" remakes ever!!!

blackcherry
11-02-2011, 18:26
Well, an American dr who cant be much worse than the Welsh series has done so far IMO - with its mass of deus-ex-machinas, hollywood action sequences, CGI-overloads and monsters that mostly look like they belong to Furry conventions - not to mention all those cringe-inducing scenes and godawful dialogue, oh and all that terrible "wibbly wobbly timey whimey" stuff - which makes me want to kick children whenever I hear it.

I'd love it if they did a proper lovecraftian/gallifreyan mythological type series (like where the 90's NA's were going, which were so much better than the tv series!) with paul mcgann and then had him regenerate into someone like Rudolph Walker : http://www.blackpresence.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/rudolph-walker.jpg

Hell, another choice for a new retconned 9th would be Alexander Siddig (he played doctor bashir in star trek deep space nine).

Well you know. Most people who are vaugly interested in the doctor who cannon are aware of where Dr Who was heading. The facts speak for themselves. It was a ratings disaster. Half of the rabid Dr Who fans hated the direction it took. The writing was, lets face it, pretty sub par.

The BBC didn't want any of that for the new series, so they started again. Its been a ratings success. The second the series has headed away from what you hate about the new series, ratings have dropped (look at the latest series, which tried to do things a little differently. Viewers turned off in droves). So its here to stay.

*deep breath*

Sorry TimLeeson. I'm not angry at you in particular and I don't nessisarily agree with all the BBC have done Dr Who after they rebooted it. I have just had a very trying day of talking down rabid fanboys, who are convinced that lovecraftian horror is the be all and end all of where series should go. I had someone arguing that where the new ST film had gone wrong was in that it didn't have enough eldrich gribblies.

Aplogies.:)

Lars Porsenna
11-02-2011, 21:12
I had someone arguing that where the new ST film had gone wrong was in that it didn't have enough eldrich gribblies.

Wow, really? You mean ST as in Star Trek? I think the movie ran off the rails, but never, ever would I consider Lovecraftian aliens beyond-space-and-time to be an appropriate or desirable fit for Trek....

Damon.

TimLeeson
13-02-2011, 12:42
Well you know. Most people who are vaugly interested in the doctor who cannon are aware of where Dr Who was heading. The facts speak for themselves. It was a ratings disaster. Half of the rabid Dr Who fans hated the direction it took. The writing was, lets face it, pretty sub par.

The BBC didn't want any of that for the new series, so they started again. Its been a ratings success. The second the series has headed away from what you hate about the new series, ratings have dropped (look at the latest series, which tried to do things a little differently. Viewers turned off in droves). So its here to stay.

*deep breath*

Sorry TimLeeson. I'm not angry at you in particular and I don't nessisarily agree with all the BBC have done Dr Who after they rebooted it. I have just had a very trying day of talking down rabid fanboys, who are convinced that lovecraftian horror is the be all and end all of where series should go. I had someone arguing that where the new ST film had gone wrong was in that it didn't have enough eldrich gribblies.

Aplogies.:)

NP, I'm not really a rabid fan, but I do have a strong vision in my head of what I personally think would be the best (which is a mix of lovecraftian-horror, gallifreyan-mythology, pure historicals in the style of sharpe/hornblower and a little 40k and clive barker thrown in) but that's of subjective opinion (that im well aware of). I thought season 26 was the best myself, but I know full well I am in the minority there.

I didnt like season5, it felt very safe and bland - iv never liked moffats style at all. It lacks risk and never goes far enough with the concepts and ideas. After 5 years, I think I gave it more than a fair chance so I wont be bothering with it again until someone else takes over. Maybe ill be able to make my own version oneday myself though. I'd certainly give it a try.

On the other hand, while I love Star trek - lovecraftian stuff would NEVER suit THAT franchise. That was more babylon5's style anyway (thirdspace ect).

AndrewGPaul
14-02-2011, 08:16
I'm curious Tim, what sort of audience age range do you think Doctor Who would have, if it changed to a "lovecraftian-horror" sort of theme? I'm not seeing where you get the idea that that is what Doctor Who was about, really. :)

To be honest, I liked series 5. I like Matt Smith, and I think Steven Moffat has done someinteresting things with the use of time travel as a part of the story, rather than just the way of moving between episodes. Perhaps it was overly reliant on going back to Earth all the time, but I can understand the reasons for that. At least they've managed to keep out of the BBC quarry so far. ;)

Col. Frost
14-02-2011, 10:06
A 'Dark' Dr Who wouldn't work for most people. I grew up starting with Tom Baker and probably watched every episode ever made thanks to lazy Sunday mornings many years ago. What made Dr Who popular was the fact it was a family show that could be enjoyed on many levels and very few shows do this well today (The Simpsons is one that does for example and hence it's success).

British TV can, and does, churn out some great sci-fi / fantasy dramas but unfortunately the TV Exec's choose to hide these away on E4, BBC Three etc (Misfits, Being Human) and churn out the real rubbish for BBC1, ITV and C4. The few that do make it onto the 'main' channels (Primeval for example) can start well but usually end up getting tweaked by the suits for various 'rating' reasons and go off course and end up getting cancelled due to falling viewing figures.

TimLeeson
14-02-2011, 14:02
I'm curious Tim, what sort of audience age range do you think Doctor Who would have, if it changed to a "lovecraftian-horror" sort of theme? I'm not seeing where you get the idea that that is what Doctor Who was about, really. :)

Lovecraftian elements arent exactly new to Dr Who ; http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Great_Old_Ones :)

However, I didnt say/mean that was what it was about in the past - it's part of what id personally like it to evolve and change into, along with the other elements I mentioned like gallifreyan mythology, Sharpe/hornblower style historicals, 40k style war stories and Clive Barker style horror-faerytales with a bit of hard sci-fi thrown in once in a while too. With no old monsters whatsoever. Thats my personal vision/direction anyway. the NS is practically the opposite of all that - so maybe you can see why I dislike it ?

Also, it wasnt always a kids/family show - it certainly wasnt like that in the 80's ; some of the Davison stories and the Colin baker era were quite brutal and adult in tone like Earthshock, Resurrection of the Daleks, Frontios, Vengeance on varos ect. Four of my biggest favourites :D

Hopefully you can understand my personal perspective and where I am coming from now :)