PDA

View Full Version : 'Leonis Proeliatoris', another Primarch...

Aerion the Faithful
21-03-2006, 04:04
Salutations, brothers!
Here i am again, bringing you the latest from my drawing board: Dark Angels' Primarch Lion El'Jonson. He was the one that finally won me over from all the choices, ideas and suggestions i heard from you guys in my last post.
I was really attracted to this Primarch's story and it was a pleasure bringing him to life. As you will see, i used the pre-heresy colour scheme for the Dark Angels, wich was black. And the colour i went for was ochre, because i believe it gives the illustration a certain air of being old and dusty.
Particularly speaking of Lion himself, i have to say that i really imagined him to be a sort of 'knight' of old, dressed up with a really long tabard, and a ceremonial armor to fit his style and reputation. Yet, the armor bears some resemblance to the Sanguinius one, so as to not steer so far from the 'Imperium' standards (the armours being built after all by the same craftworkers). His hair is a bit white on the sideburns, a detail that i think adds to Lion a more stern and experienced look.
The name of the illustration is the latin for 'Lion Warrior'.
And about the scene, well, i tried to convey a certain feeling that hit me when i was reading the story of the coming of the Emperor to the different hive worlds reclaiming his sons for the Crusade. I thought about what a shock it must have been to realize that such a man was your Father, and he was going to take you far away from your home and people to fight on a Crusade wich you knew nothing about. So this is 'the' moment for Lion El'Jonson: the moment when, looking upon his new helm, realizes that this whole thing isn't a dream. He's going to conquer the Galaxy...

Anyway, no more babbling i promise. I give you the image and remember: C&C are more than welcome!

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d61/aerion_the_faithful/LeonisProeliatoris.jpg

Until soon

Aerion the Faithful

Khrangar
21-03-2006, 05:21
That's really great. I especially like the burnt out candles and the lion on the shoulder pad. I give it two thumbs up, 3 if I could.

malika
21-03-2006, 09:09
Wooooooow you're back!!!

Reign in Blood
21-03-2006, 09:27
Thats absolutely awsome. The artistic style used is fantastic Keep it up.
I'm new to this site and any like it and i got the impression that you have some more like it...are there any more on the net?

Aerion the Faithful
21-03-2006, 12:08
Hey everybody! Thank you for the kind words (as usual). I'm glad you have liked what i did with Lion El'Jonson. Looking at it now (with fresh eyes, and not the burnt out i had yesterday when i finished it :p ), i'm actually very proud of it. Specially the lighting...

I'm new to this site and any like it and i got the impression that you have some more like it...are there any more on the net?

Just check my signature, mate ;) ...

And come on, guys, don't let poor ol' Lion alone! I want to see some more enthusiasm! Or are you getting bored of my stuff? :rolleyes:

Until soon

Aerion the Faithful

McMullet
21-03-2006, 12:22
Another nice job there sah!

The only thing I'm not sure on is the white hair, it's a good idea but it doesn't quite look like it's part of his hair. It might be better if it was grey or something. Only a little thing though, and it doesn't detract from the quality of the drawing. :)

Captain Ardias
21-03-2006, 12:30
I think your stuff looks stunning keep it coming.
Whom are you doing next? Personally i would love to see Roboute, and maybe Dorn or Corax.

Flame of Udun
21-03-2006, 13:18
Hey Aerion,
Looking good mate! Very nice indeed, the only thing I'm not 100% on is the look on his face, his lips are very pursed, makes me think he's been sucking lemons but other than that it's very cool. I really like the lighting you've got in the picture it gives it alot of life and you can kimd of fell that he's staring really hard at that helmet. All in all it rocks!
Keep up the good work man!

WarpWhisperer
21-03-2006, 14:07
That's really great. I especially like the burnt out candles and the lion on the shoulder pad. I give it two thumbs up, 3 if I could.

I am forcing my mutant lackeys to give the three thumbs up:D :D :D

Ravenheart
21-03-2006, 14:13
For me it is the best Primarch picture yet. Maybe because I'm biased; still I really like the idea behind it as well as it's execution. Keep it up!

EDIT: I just realized he has a bunch of scars on his face ... rementans of the time in the woods of caliban?

my_name_is_tudor
21-03-2006, 15:03
The lighting is tremendous, really good stuff indeed. I really like the look of the robes, if I ever collect Dark Angels again (which I surely will at some point), I will have to give robes like that to my grand master.. or perhaps I'll do a preheresy army with El'jonson himself in charge.

Keep up the good work, I vote for Rogal Dorn next (but you probably already knew that..)

Dakkagor
21-03-2006, 15:40
Very cool pic. I didn't know Johnson was a redhead. . .I always thought he was blonde. .. :confused:

Either way, its an awesome picture. I can't wait to see more!

malika
21-03-2006, 15:48
I notice your figures are all very "clean" and "straight" looking, Im very curious how you would make a figure like Leman Russ, Angron or Night Haunter :evilgrin:

Oh...speaking of clean, what about Fulgrim? He would be your ultimate test in shininess:D

Anvils Hammer
21-03-2006, 16:10
very nice work, stuningly good infact.

the only aspect of your stlye I dont like quite as much is the way you do faces, I prefer a less cartoony look,

but still, really awesome man!

de Selby
21-03-2006, 17:27
Excellent as usual. The armour design is particularly good (what's that luminous stuff shining out of the vents?), in fact I think it's actually superior to the work on the face. The face is quite stylised (he could be a character from Rusted), and though I appreciate it's your personal graphical style I wonder if you could still step it up a notch to make it more realistic, as you apparently did when detailing the armour.

Still, expressive and atmospheric. I vote for a traitor primarch next, preferably Mortarion (as I suggested before) but anyone will do to introduce some counterpoint to the heroic archetypes.

Cpt_Tiberius
21-03-2006, 17:47
I like what you've done with the lion. I agree that the white in the hair doesn't quite read, but if you add a couple of grey strokes it will fix this right up. I also suggest you ignore the comments above regarding your faces, they are well executed for the style you are working in. Great job.

I definitely think you should do a traitor next. Even though I'm a big Nighthaunter fan, I would suggest Fulgrim, the purple armor would look awesome. :)

de Selby
21-03-2006, 18:12
I understand it's irritating to ask for feedback on what you've drawn and get the response 'you should have drawn something else'. That's not what I'm trying to say, so apologies if it comes across like that.

My artistic talents extend to being able to draw a fairly good likeness from a photograph or a patient sitter, and that's about it. I couldn't produce something like this, but I hope that my comments are still welcome.

It depends; is this an exercise in character design suitable for a graphic novel or similar, or is it stylised fantasy portraiture? I wouldn't have made the comments I did about a character for Rusted, but the overall finish and the quality of the composition mean that I'm looking at it as fantasy portraiture. So I'm thinkng that the style of the face doesn't exactly fit. I like what Aerion has done; I'm keen to see what else he can do when he puts his mind to it...

Flame of Udun
21-03-2006, 19:01
I can see what you're saying to a degree and I think perhaps a little more work could have been done on the face, but thats the way Aerion draws, it's his style, asking him to draw something realistically in this context is like asking Mike Mignola (creator of hellboy) to do realistic just to see if he can and thats not really the point. Just because Aerion has used a more graphic style should not detract from the picture as a piece of artwork. I like Aerion's style for the fact that it stands out from the morass of bleak gothic john blanche style of 40k. I mean I like that too but this is a very different yet still very fitting take on the 40k universe and does not need to be confined to the pages of a comic book. Personally I don't see a difference between this image as either a fantasy portrait or a character concept for a GN(sic). Sorry if that seems like a rant.

Cyberjankie
21-03-2006, 19:42
Like his two brothers, very impressive! Well, only 15/17 + there father to go :rolleyes: ;)

Aerion the Faithful
21-03-2006, 19:43
Hello again, brothers...
WOW! It's nice to see that you have approved this picture as well as the others, and that you have in fact engaged in a very interesting debate. And since i am sort of 'in the middle' of the discussion, i might as well say something :D .
Obviously i thank you for the time you take to actually analize my art, and all the things you have to say about it i will take into consideration with the greatest of respects. It wouldn't be very logic if i asked for C&C and then be upset when someone makes a critic, right?
About my rendering of the face, i can see your point de Selby , but i have to agree more with what Flame of Udun stated; my particular vision involves the faces to have a very 'clean' shape and rendering, so as to capture more the 'expresion' in them. Sometimes, when you watch a GW official illustration, althpugh they are produced by great artists and with a degree of realism that really exceedes my own, the faces are all the same or lack that certain 'life' that i try to instill into my images. And i will use something that Flame of Udun said:

it's his style, asking him to draw something realistically in this context is like asking Mike Mignola (creator of hellboy) to do realistic just to see if he can and thats not really the point.

I can relate to this a lot, and it's actually my thought excatly. If Mignola is so good at lighting, why doesn't he 'elevate' his art towards a more realistic level? It's because his style would lose that edge it has. It would become just 'another thing'. Or perhaps it would become something out of this planet, but that would be Mike's decision, wouldn't it? And perhaps he just has a lot of fun doing all those intrincate details of light and the faces much more clean. Like i do... And art is just that: it's what comes out of your inside.
Also, i agree on the subject that a fantasy portrait or a graphic novel shouldn't be on different scales. If Gerald Brom were to do a comic i would expect him to do what he does when doing just single illustrations, the same for Mike Mignola or anyone. It's about the style, not what you are doing with it what counts, in my opinion.

And, please, don't think that i was offended or anything, i really enjoy talking about art, and i wanted to express my opinion on this most particular point. You are welcome to debate more, that's what we're here for anyway ;) .

As for other matters...

I definitely think you should do a traitor next. Even though I'm a big Nighthaunter fan, I would suggest Fulgrim, the purple armor would look awesome.

Oh! All who have wondered how Fulgrim would look are in for a BIG surprise... :p

The only thing I'm not sure on is the white hair, it's a good idea but it doesn't quite look like it's part of his hair. It might be better if it was grey or something.

I will add some streaks of gray to that part. I actually agree with you on that it has ended up sort of 'flat'. Look for the edit sometime tonight... Thanks for the heads up.

I just realized he has a bunch of scars on his face ... rementans of the time in the woods of caliban?

It's a tough bussiness living in the woods...;)

Keep up the good work, I vote for Rogal Dorn next (but you probably already knew that..)

I did, and your prayers will come true, Mr. Tudor. Thanks for being there as usual.

Sorry for the long reply, but i thought it was worth it. A cookie for everyone who got as far as here!

Until soon

Aerion the Faithful

Kjell
21-03-2006, 21:19
As far as composition goes, I think this is the best of the Primarchs so far. The lighting is quite wonderful, too. I really like the feeling of texture you've got going with the colouring of the robe. In fact, I would say that the colouring is the best part, period. The picture would be excellent in pure black and white but it just looks so much better in colour, which cannot be said of all artists' work.

I take it Fulgrim is next, followed by Dorn? Whichever comes first I am very much looking forward to it. :)

Escaflowne_Z
22-03-2006, 09:02
You know what? I've come to realize that I hate you. Talented people make me angry! grrrrr :D

Aerion the Faithful
22-03-2006, 19:09
You know what? I've come to realize that I hate you. Talented people make me angry! grrrrr

I'm used to having that effect on people :eyebrows: . Thanks for the support, mate :P.

Until soon

Aerion the Faithful

Silent Surrender
22-03-2006, 22:27
I also love the robe, very well done. Because of the lines you can really feel the depth, as it discerns the cloak, tunic and... kilt? o.O, whatever its called, from each other :P . Its great.

Escaflowne_Z
23-03-2006, 09:29
You know, now that I look at it, doesn't the Lion Helm look a little bit, um, small? Seems to me it wouldn't even fit over his nose and chin. ??? Is it just me?

Still hatin' you :D

Esca

A neutral shade of black.
23-03-2006, 10:02
How did I fail to notice this before?

Anyway, excellent work; especially the candles, the light and that lion on El'Jonson's shoulder pad. I honestly don't like this one as much as the other two because of its lack of colours (colours are shiny... Purty colours...), but it remains excellent.

Now. You must break the chain of loyalist primarchs! Enough of these heroes of the false emperor - we want the true heroes of mankind; those who succumbed to their humanity; the rebel primarchs! At least I do.

(Magnus! Magnus! Magnus! Magnus!
Using my idea, of course. :P)

Edit: and don't forget - pre Heresy! ;)

Pfreck
23-03-2006, 16:19
Nice one again Aerion ;) can't wait to see your next comic or master piece :D

WanderingRogue
23-03-2006, 16:31
I really like it - like all your stuff. Two things though come to my mind.

1 -hurry up and do the alpha legion primarch - cos that will so blatently be my new avatar (im an AL junkie)

2 - The mouth. I love your style and i love this piece, but the first thing i though was "he looks really old" and the only thing i can attribute it too it the mouth. the small line for a mouth makes it look "wizzend" (if thats a word), i know it also makes him look deep in though and stern/tight lipped, but i dont know maybe a small elongation of the line a little maybe a kink to make it more a "frowning mouth".

but thats the only thing i'll say on it that isnt "OH MY - THATS SOME FUNKY ART YOUR CHURNING OUT MY FRIEND!"

g

Aerion the Faithful
23-03-2006, 20:26
How did I fail to notice this before?

Perhaps the Chaos Gods didn't want you to set eyes on yet ANOTHER loyalist :p .

Now. You must break the chain of loyalist primarchs! Enough of these heroes of the false emperor - we want the true heroes of mankind; those who succumbed to their humanity; the rebel primarchs! At least I do.
(Magnus! Magnus! Magnus! Magnus!
Using my idea, of course. :P)
Edit: and don't forget - pre Heresy!

I think if i don't do Traitors, i'm going to be personally assasinated by you, mate, so... i better do that. :D I promise the next one is going to be a traitor, and don't worry, i'm all for the Pre-Heresy look.

I really like it - like all your stuff.

Thanks WanderingRogue; say... that's a nice avatar you've got there... :D
About the mouth, well: you said it yourself with your critique. The fact that it looks 'old' was something that i was aiming for, because that's how i imagined Lion El'Jonson; a little 'consumed' by life, and with a more stern and hard look than Sanguinius for example, who looks much 'younger'.
But i'll take notice of your 'heads up' on the next one.

Thanks again, folks.

Aerion the Faithful

hospitaller
23-03-2006, 21:21
I don't post often but your fantastic artwork has forced my hand sir! I'm currently working on models of all the primarchs and your master pieces are proving to be extremely inspirational for which I thank you....

Lord_Crull
25-03-2006, 14:20
Do a tratior next!

punkoteloco
25-03-2006, 17:04
OHH Lionel Johnson, i remember the days i used to play Dark Angels.. but enough of this. Its really impresive the pose and, altough it may sound weird, the real expresion on his face. Its really astonishing. Please, my friend, post more... and pleasedont make me cry again ( shuts the door, crying, while he remembers his beloved Dark Angels )

punkoteloco

HiredSword.
15-04-2006, 16:34
what i like so much in this is not only the techniques but the symbolism.

Did you mean for the juxtaposition between the candle smoke (light of the old way being extinguished) and the suits light (the new light in El Jonson's life) or is it just me being far too analytical? great job either way :D

Stormwarningz
17-04-2006, 19:12
That is insanely good. As ex dark angels collector.

This picture alone makes me want to wait for the new models to come out so I can start collecting them again.
Thank you.