PDA

View Full Version : Lovecraft : Fear of the unknown

TimLeeson
28-01-2011, 08:54
The documentary on HP Lovecraft is now available to stream online, well worth watching for any fans of the ye olde eldritch cosmic master ;

http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/lovecraft_fear_of_the_unknown/

Features Carpenter (The Thing), Guillermo Del Toro (Pan’s Labyrinth), Neil Gaiman (Coraline), Stuart Gordon (Re-Animator), Caitlin Kiernan (“Daughter of Hounds”) and Peter Straub (“Ghost Story”).”

[lexus]
28-01-2011, 13:23
Thanks for sharing! Great documentary.

Personally love Lovecraft, and Im dreading what they are doing with the new At the Mountains of Madness movie.

TimLeeson
28-01-2011, 17:46
;5273668']Thanks for sharing! Great documentary.

Personally love Lovecraft, and Im dreading what they are doing with the new At the Mountains of Madness movie.

I'm not sure I want to give it a chance. I read one rumour Del Toro wanted Tom Cruise involved, thats a massive putoff for me, personally.

On the other hand I'm looking forward to these :
http://www.cthulhulives.org/Whisperer/twid-blog.html
Stop-motion Mi-go and modelwork = Awesome.

[lexus]
28-01-2011, 21:50
I'm not sure I want to give it a chance. I read one rumour Del Toro wanted Tom Cruise involved, thats a massive putoff for me, personally.

On the other hand I'm looking forward to these :
http://www.cthulhulives.org/Whisperer/twid-blog.html
Stop-motion Mi-go and modelwork = Awesome.

Yeah, but I heard the movie company wanted someone else for that part. But they did hire James Cameron to be part of it. So I fear its gonna end up being some huge special effects fest that ends up having nothing to do with the original story.

Also, that movie looks pretty interesting. I just hope they dont end up creating some terrible 50's horror movie because that wouldnt honor Lovecraft's story imo.

Thoume
28-01-2011, 23:45
Just finished watching it, very interesting! I've only read one story a friend lent me but the name escapes me. Can't exactly remember what happens in it but I do agree with where he tries to cram as many adjectives as possible into almost everything, even dialogue!

It starts off with a man with some big dream or goal or something stood before a portal or staircase guarded by two monks / priests / whatever, who try to persuade the protagonist not to go in but he ends up doing so anyway, and its a completely outlandish world involving at one point an army of cats helping the protagonist fight off something! Pretty poor description but ring any bells to anyone?

[lexus]
29-01-2011, 10:54
Just finished watching it, very interesting! I've only read one story a friend lent me but the name escapes me. Can't exactly remember what happens in it but I do agree with where he tries to cram as many adjectives as possible into almost everything, even dialogue!

It starts off with a man with some big dream or goal or something stood before a portal or staircase guarded by two monks / priests / whatever, who try to persuade the protagonist not to in but he ends up doing so anyway, and its a completely outlandish world involving at one point an army of cats helping the protagonist fight off something! Pretty poor description but ring any bells to anyone?

The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath is the story you are referring to. Its one of his earlier works and also not one of his best imo. I personally prefer the stuff that is part of the Cthulhu mythos.

TimLeeson
29-01-2011, 10:59
Yeah, James Cameron's involvement worries me too - I didnt like any of his films at all. Too actiony for my tastes, more into out-there conceptual ideas and atmosphere.

IMO Shadow Out Of Time, Mountains Of Madness, Whisperer in the darkness, Colour out of space and Shadow Over Innsmouth are IMO his best 5 stories. I'd kill to make a film-adaptation of Shadow out of time especially - the flying polyps are my all-time favourite sci-fi alien race ever.

BigbyWolf
29-01-2011, 11:25
;5274582']Yeah, but I heard the movie company wanted someone else for that part. But they did hire James Cameron to be part of it. So I fear its gonna end up being some huge special effects fest that ends up having nothing to do with the original story.

Also, that movie looks pretty interesting. I just hope they dont end up creating some terrible 50's horror movie because that wouldnt honor Lovecraft's story imo.

Just as long as it's better than the last abomination they made- Cthulu, was it?

Shockingly bad...

[lexus]
29-01-2011, 16:29
Yeah, James Cameron's involvement worries me too - I didnt like any of his films at all. Too actiony for my tastes, more into out-there conceptual ideas and atmosphere.

IMO Shadow Out Of Time, Mountains Of Madness, Whisperer in the darkness, Colour out of space and Shadow Over Innsmouth are IMO his best 5 stories. I'd kill to make a film-adaptation of Shadow out of time especially - the flying polyps are my all-time favourite sci-fi alien race ever.

Well he did make Terminator 2, which was a pretty good movie imo. But Titanic and Avatar? Boring and severely overrated.

I dont think they can make a good Lovecraft movie though. His work is just fit for cinema. The thing that is scary is not something that is visually scary or that can be translated to a visual experience. I mean, how do you show people things that are supposed to be so utterly alien and different from our understanding of time and space that we cant really name them or describe them? And how do you make your average movie goer scared by showing an alien who is mainly scary for us by its utter indifference towards the human race? No I believe Lovecraft is best as a book.

I loved the Call of Cthulhu, The Outsider, At the Mountains of Madness and The Case of Charles Dexter Ward. Those are my favorites, although I like all his work.

Thoume
29-01-2011, 23:42
;5275335']The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath is the story you are referring to. Its one of his earlier works and also not one of his best imo. I personally prefer the stuff that is part of the Cthulhu mythos.
Thats the one! Cheers :)

Might look into Rats in the walls or Mountains when I get round to it...

sigur
30-01-2011, 15:15
I just watched the thing and recommended it to friends. It's interesting. I don't value Lovecraft as a writer that much but he surely was influential and I'm willing to acknowledge that. ;)

Easy E
02-02-2011, 16:48
;5275651']
I dont think they can make a good Lovecraft movie though. His work is just fit for cinema. The thing that is scary is not something that is visually scary or that can be translated to a visual experience. I mean, how do you show people things that are supposed to be so utterly alien and different from our understanding of time and space that we cant really name them or describe them? And how do you make your average movie goer scared by showing an alien who is mainly scary for us by its utter indifference towards the human race? No I believe Lovecraft is best as a book.

I agree with you.

For the sake of discussion, I would "show" the horror or Lovecraftian monsters by simply not showing them, and instead show peoples reaction to them. That leaves everything to the viewers imagination, which is always scarier than some monster FX.

Wyrmwood
02-02-2011, 17:15
For the sake of discussion, I would "show" the horror or Lovecraftian monsters by simply not showing them, and instead show peoples reaction to them.

... Like in old 30's and 40's pulp horror films? Personally, I think it's a bad idea, it looked terrible then and it does now! But I agree about the FX in many regards.

sigur
02-02-2011, 23:51
It's not a bad idea per se but it's really, really hard to have the horror in the faces of the actors translate into emotion on the audience (especially nowadays). It simply wouldn't work satisfyingly well I'm afraid.

Col. Frost
03-02-2011, 10:19
I agree with you.

For the sake of discussion, I would "show" the horror or Lovecraftian monsters by simply not showing them, and instead show peoples reaction to them. That leaves everything to the viewers imagination, which is always scarier than some monster FX.

I would prefer they went down the 'Alien' route, flashed shadowy glimpses, movement etc. I found that film far more frightening than 95% of horror films.

[lexus]
03-02-2011, 10:34
I agree with you.

If its done right it could work. But most people turn mad in Lovecrafts stories. They just go blank on the moment of supreme horror and run away.

I think the Japanese approach would work. No music, only natural sounds, and only short sudden glimpses of something moving in the dark. It does kinda depend on the story though. I assume that you can make a good looking Shoggoth with special effects.

Easy E
03-02-2011, 12:33
;5285949']If its done right it could work. But most people turn mad in Lovecrafts stories. They just go blank on the moment of supreme horror and run away.

I think the Japanese approach would work. No music, only natural sounds, and only short sudden glimpses of something moving in the dark. It does kinda depend on the story though. I assume that you can make a good looking Shoggoth with special effects.

Hmmm, I think you and Col. Frost are right.

Combine it with some reaction shots, from actually likable characters that people can identify with, and you are all set.

TimLeeson
05-02-2011, 14:38
Personally seeing NO monster at all is boring imo, but I also think seeing TOO much of it is bad as well. I think you need to find the difficult middle-ground - besides, lovecrafts monsters are the best! I think Carpenters The Thing and Alien are the only really truly excellent lovecraftian style films - ironic neither are based on his work.