PDA

View Full Version : A quick question about how to field my halberdiers?

grimhorn
28-01-2011, 14:40
Hi again!

Im in a position where I can field my two regiments of halberdiers in a few different ways, and Im not too keen on playtesting for the optimal way to field them.

The setup is as follows:

2 regiments with 50 models in each. Both will contain a full command group and a warrior priest for the oh so useful hatered.

The question is: How shall I adress their ranks?

- Im thinking 49 models for a 7*7 configuration. That way I get a decent amount of attacks without losing to many ranks.

Detachments is not an issue, Im just curious about the parentunit configuration.

Response is highly valued and please excuse the english, its not my native tongue.

/ Grimhorn.

oldschoolmonk
28-01-2011, 18:13
I run 10x5, for the Horde rules. It does take up more room, but don't take a huge amount of deployment hungry options (knights, 20 man blocks, etc). Lets do a breakdown:

Against an average unit of 5 wide you only get 7 more attacks than the setup you have, and two less ranks. Hitting on a 4+ with rerolls we're talking about 5 more hits.

In my club we run 6 man 20mm bases or 5 wide 25 mm bases very often. This allows you to fight 8 wide, 3 deep, for 24 attacks plus a warrior priest. Thats 10 attacks more than the 7x7 setup, or 7.5 hits! I find this is where it shines.

Taking casualties:
7x7: 25 kills for the unit to lose steadfast - the real important factor.
10x5: 15 kills for the unit to lose steadfast. This is a considerable drop in it's tarpit role.

I field in 10x5 because I really like the chance to cause a few more casualties in combat. There are a lot of khornate warriors with halberds that I really have to be able to kill in combat, but usually I don't have a good target to tarpit. I just aim to have my halberd unit take a charge, hold for one round (usually they do against warriors), and then allow a flank for my Greatswords.

thesheriff
28-01-2011, 21:49
This is a question not to be posted in army list section. Discussion or tactics would be better forums.

It dependson your local crowd. How many hordes are there? What's in the rest if your army? Do you want to put your self un a nice even square for a mortar?

And you may not want to play test, but your gonna have to. Unless I'm your concience/split persona, there are too many variables for me to give you a difiative awnser.

Having said that, 30 S4 hatred attacks is like a less powerful (but cheaper) bloodletter horde. So horde would be my 'off-the-bat' answer.

Thesheriff

t-tauri
28-01-2011, 22:05
Moved to tactics. Please have a look where you are posting.

Gen.RifulasDykes
28-01-2011, 23:11
@oldschoolmonk - Part of the problem with going 10 wide horde is that you do hit harder, but actually you lose you steadfast a lot easier even without taking losses. If the aformentioned 7x7 walked up to your 10x5, they've already removed your steadfast as they have 2 more ranks than you, and you will need to kill 17 of them in order to bring them below your 5 ranks, while recieving no casualties at all in return (Highly doubtful).

So if you're looking for your halberders to be a solid "Hold the line!" block, 7x7 is by far better for retainning steadfast until you can get some support in. If you want to bring the pain, as Monk says, 10x5 is what you'll want, but make sure if they're going to take on any other Horde or massed infantry you have the ability to win the combat decisively, as you'll most likely lose steadfast out to things like Slave hordes and gobbo hordes etc.

ftayl5
28-01-2011, 23:27
So if you're looking for your halberders to be a solid "Hold the line!" block, 7x7 is by far better for retainning steadfast until you can get some support in.

Which you shouldn't be doing. Swordsmen can do that job much better. Halberdiers are offensive, go horde formation.

Gen.RifulasDykes
29-01-2011, 00:39
True though I thought most empire players these days prefer even Halberds over Swordsmen simply because they're cheaper so you can field more and their +1S evens out the defensive WS4 HW/Shield of swordsmen in the end through additional kills in return? Simply because they are more offense orientated doesn't immediately mean Hordeftw.

Since there is going to be 2 of them it sounds like they'll be providing the main backbone of the core infantry blocks, in which case I would play them in a more defensive 7x7 as you will want that Steadfast simply because even with Halberds they will be needing assistance to decisively win engagements and for that you will want them to actually stay in place long enough to do so.

ftayl5
29-01-2011, 01:07
Since there is going to be 2 of them it sounds like they'll be providing the main backbone of the core infantry blocks, in which case I would play them in a more defensive 7x7 as you will want that Steadfast simply because even with Halberds they will be needing assistance to decisively win engagements and for that you will want them to actually stay in place long enough to do so.

Hmmm... this makes sense. If your playing less aggressively, go with this.
Better yet make one unit 7x7 and one unit 10x5. One for staying power, one for killing stuff.

decker_cky
29-01-2011, 04:16
Depends what you're facing. If it looks like you'll get torn apart, run them 5x10 for max steadfast. If it looks like you can beat them, run them 10x5 for max steadfast.

Against something like skaven slaves, going 10 deep will make sense since it makes it easier to break them.

Most often I'd run them in ranks of 10 so you get an extra rank of attacks, but keep in mind that sometimes you'll just want to have a unit that can stick around for a while. Swift reforms are easy, so just look at what you're facing and see what makes sense to run them.

grimhorn
29-01-2011, 11:50
Thank you for the quick and multifaceted answers!

Your answers have given me some food for thought.

I'll play a 2,5K game against a friend today and I'll try the 7*7 formation.

/ Grimhorn.

Lunnie Logic
29-01-2011, 16:24
My brother fields his empire units in ranks of 7 with quite alot of sucess. I'd stick with that as I find it a pain to hack through them.

vinny t
29-01-2011, 19:42
My vote would be one of each, greater flexibility is where it's at

grimhorn
29-01-2011, 21:03
Hi again!

My friend played his High Elves, and they got their hides flogged today.
He had his swordmasters in ranks of 7 and killed a lot of my halberdiers.
But in a war of attrition the empire will win.

/ Grimhorn.