PDA

View Full Version : Returning to Warhammer Fantasy with a Goblin army - suggestions please!

Lost Egg
28-01-2011, 18:08
Hi all, yes I am returning to Fantasy after a gap of 10 or more years. I am going to build up a Goblin army, just concentrating on Common Goblins for now. So I have 2 questions...

1. What is a good size starter army in Fantasy now-a-days? 1000pts 1500pts?

2. Any suggestions for army composition?

I was thinking of 3 or 4 large units of goblins Boss in spearmen units & shaman in archer units. I want to have some wolf riders and chariots as well as doom diver or two and some bolt throwers...plus a giant.

Cheers for your help!

HN

O&G'sRule
28-01-2011, 18:37
wait a month or so.

Ronin[XiC]
28-01-2011, 18:50
To be more precise: There WILL be a new armybook in march. Lots of new stuff will be released.
For example a mega uber gigantic spider on a 100x100mm base and it will probably the biggest miniature in warhammer fantasy up to this point!
So, yeah. Wait a month :)

Darnok
28-01-2011, 19:26
The most important things have been said so far.

What might be interesting for you: the current common goblin models are not remade (same for the wolf riders), at least not for the first wave - so not in the next half year or so. So if you want to start painting, just grab a few boxes of Common Goblins (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440079a&prodId=prod840897), maybe add a box of Gnoblars (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440073a&prodId=prod1010011) for variety in your units, and start painting. Add a few character models (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat440078a&rootCatGameStyle=) you like, and you should be busy until March - when the new army book O&G is released.

hashrat
28-01-2011, 20:27
I suggest you buy Dark Elves :D

On topic, I think 1000 is enough, but aim for 1500.
If you have around 400/500 more than you need it allows you to play different lists each time for varieties sake.
I think Giants are fun, but Trolls are more reliable damage dealers and harder to kill.
Spider riders poison is handy too.

TheYoungin
28-01-2011, 21:10
like everyone else said, wait a month. But also 8th ed is the edition of big units, there your best bet, oh and cavalry isn't nearly as good now. So I wouldn't go with spider/wolf riders. Just big units of goblins and some charriots.

russellmoo
29-01-2011, 17:25
I would buy some units of goblins and start painting- then figure out what else you want in march when the book comes out-

thesheriff
29-01-2011, 18:28
Well, New mdoels soon. But somethings, like the stardard gobbos, and the cool metal charecters and warmachines, will never change. So pick up some of them.

You will want a bunch of warmachine and normal gobbos. And some chariots eventually. Variety is the spice of life....

thesheriff

Lost Egg
30-01-2011, 08:19
Thanks for all the advice folks!

I new the new army book is out soon (pre-orders Feb 8th I believe) so will definitely be ordering a copy of that and the spell cards. Have already got 3 boxes of gobbos and should be picking up about another 3 boxes of wolf riders from a mate next week (sorry TheYoungin but I couldn't not have wolf riders ;) ). From the rumour mill it looks like no plastic spear chukka or doom diver for a while, doh.

I've got a 1500pt list written up so its just a case of breaking out the knife and glue and get going!

Cheers again

HN

Darnok
30-01-2011, 08:42
On the topic of a plastic Doom Diver: that depends on your will for conversions.

As for myself, I like the metal model, and will get one. But for a second one - as I hate duplicate models for more rare unit choices - I'll convert an Empire mortar with this (http://www.bitsandkits.co.uk/images/082945102293.jpg) at the end of the barrell. It is from the 40K Stormboyz sprue. I might add a more "fantasy" gobbo head, but other than that (and a goblin crew, of course) it's just perfect.

TheYoungin
30-01-2011, 21:14
Thanks for all the advice folks!

I new the new army book is out soon (pre-orders Feb 8th I believe) so will definitely be ordering a copy of that and the spell cards. Have already got 3 boxes of gobbos and should be picking up about another 3 boxes of wolf riders from a mate next week (sorry TheYoungin but I couldn't not have wolf riders ;) ). From the rumour mill it looks like no plastic spear chukka or doom diver for a while, doh.

I've got a 1500pt list written up so its just a case of breaking out the knife and glue and get going!

Cheers again

HN

Hahahahaha no problem. It's not like there impossible to run it may just be difficult to use them very well. But if you really want them then I would just go for it.

Turtleking
31-01-2011, 22:39
We really don't know until we see the book.