PDA

View Full Version : VC - Book of Arkhan query

sethorly
29-01-2011, 10:13
Can the Book of Arkhan be cast multiple times in a Magic phase?

I've seen a semi-official FAQ that says it can. If so this is almost as powerful as the Helm of Commandment. See halfway down this FAQ: "As Necromancy spells may be....." (http://www.vampirecounts.net/Thread-Direwolf-Council-Vampire-Counts-FAQ-Released-Officially-Supported-by-Carpe-Noctem)

If it can be cast multiple times, does the wielder's level influence the number of times it can be cast (I cannot see that this can be correct)? Or can any wielder cast it many times per Magic phase?

This looks like an incredibly powerful item which is why I'm seeking clarification. Thank you.

narrativium
29-01-2011, 11:26
Wizards can cast Necromancy spells multiple times in a Magic phase. Bound items can't; they're not Wizards. No level, no repeat.

As far as I know.

Falkman
29-01-2011, 11:29
Agree with narrativium, the book is casting the spell, and it's not a wizard.

Trikk
29-01-2011, 11:56
The necromancy rule specifically states "wizards" and includes no mention of bound items so I would check with your opponent or tournament organizer beforehand.

Since the item has a 1/6 chance of disabling itself every time you use it, it's hardly game breaking.

Helm of Commandment's power is entirely dependent on circumstance so I would say that the book is in general the more powerful choice.

sethorly
29-01-2011, 12:06
Okey, thank you. So a bound item can only be used once per phase. That makes the linked Direwolf Council FAQ (on Carpe Noctem website) incorrect.

RealMikeBob
29-01-2011, 12:35
Welcome to the internet. There's a lot of nonsense out there.

sethorly
29-01-2011, 12:51
Welcome to the internet. There's a lot of nonsense out there.

Eh? Heresy! I believe everything I read on the interweb.

Trikk
29-01-2011, 22:23
Okey, thank you. So a bound item can only be used once per phase. That makes the linked Direwolf Council FAQ (on Carpe Noctem website) incorrect.

No, it has a different interpretation of the rules than the consensus here. Their interpretation is that "wizard" is descriptive of the caster and not explicit. They could very well be right which is why you always ask beforehand which rules you'll use before the match begins. If the tournament/opponent insists on certain rules or FAQs then you adjust to that.

Before we have an official ruling their interpretation is just as correct as ours.

CaliforniaGamer
30-01-2011, 02:13
I have an interesting follow up: Can a Chaos wizard with Third of Tzeentch (using it on an eligible VC character) spam Danse as Vampire or Necromancer might??

Trikk
30-01-2011, 19:08
I have an interesting follow up: Can a Chaos wizard with Third of Tzeentch (using it on an eligible VC character) spam Danse as Vampire or Necromancer might??

He can cast them repeatedly due to the Necromancy rule, but I don't think he can cast them at all since there are no eligible targets in his army (normally).

CaliforniaGamer
30-01-2011, 21:58
He can cast them repeatedly due to the Necromancy rule, but I don't think he can cast them at all since there are no eligible targets in his army (normally).

indeed, specifically refers to "undead unit"