PDA

View Full Version : Warpstone armor question

warpmaster
29-01-2011, 19:13
Can an engeneer still cast magic while wearing warpstone armor?

All it says in the army book is engneers can wear it,but what happens if you pay for the level 1 caster upgrade and they become a wizard.As far as i know the only armor that a wizard can still cast magic in is chaos armor

Cheers darren

T10
29-01-2011, 19:30
Read the section on Magical Interference. This states that a Wizard cannot normally wear armour and cast spells. However, this is actually enforced in reverse: Because the wizard can't cast spells when wearing armour he can't choose magical armour. In practice this means that you'll never have the situation where a wizard loses his spell-casting ability because he is wearing armour.

As far as the Warlock Engineer is concerned, he has explicit access to the Warpstone Armour regardless of his spell-casting ability. Note that this explicit permission also applies to non-wizard Engineers: Characters (wizards and non-wizards alike) are usually not allowed to take magic armour unless they have access to mundane armour.

-T10

hashrat
29-01-2011, 19:34
edit, T10 explains it better.

It does say the only exception to this is if he comes with or has an option for normal armour.
He has neither imho, magic armour is not 'normal'.
I still think he can't cast if he takes magic armour.

warpmaster
29-01-2011, 19:38
Read the section on Magical Interference.

Could i get a page ref please

Raw says he can't cast.
Armour isn't listed as an upgrade when you buy him, so if he wears it he can't use spells.

This is what i think too but i'm not 100% sure

Ultimate Life Form
29-01-2011, 19:55
The Mag Int entry (page 500 BRB) does not say 'wizards with armor can't cast', the entry says 'wizards cannot choose magic armor'. This means that per the BRB a Warlock Engineer can elther be:

- A wizard character that can't take any magic armor at all

- A mundane character that is not restricted on armor in any way

Now it is up to you to explain what the line 'Warpstone Armor can be worn by Clan Skryre Warlock Engineers' is supposed to mean since they could do so without that line just as well and why it doesn't list all the other character types that can wear it as well.

hashrat
29-01-2011, 20:04
I see 2 options
1)
It doesn't matter what it says about warpstone armour.
He hasn't got an option for normal armour, he isn't allowed to buy it regardless of what it says.
It is magic and raw says it isn't allowed.

2)
Army book > BRB
Skaven book specifically gives us permission to use it.

2 stinks imho, it doesn't mention anything about casters wearing it and could be a left over rule from a time when magic items could only be bought if a common item of that type was part of basic upgrades.

I really don't know.

decker_cky
29-01-2011, 20:25
It's 100% intended to be worn by an engineer wizard. Armybook overriding BRB is the proper interpretation.

elite_dannux
29-01-2011, 20:38
Id say that he can wear the armour and still cast spells.
Btw is there no ruling on this in the skaven FAQ?

hashrat
29-01-2011, 21:31
warpstone armour is mentioned, but for something else.

H33D
29-01-2011, 21:44
BTW, any wizard can wear any kind of armor and cast spells. He just can't choose magic armor unless he has an option for normal armor.

theunwantedbeing
29-01-2011, 21:47
BTW, any wizard can wear any kind of armor and cast spells. He just can't choose magic armor unless he has an option for normal armor.

Or the armour specifically says he can have it.
Like warpstone armour does.

A grey seer can't have it for example.

Masque
30-01-2011, 02:32
Characters (wizards and non-wizards alike) are usually not allowed to take magic armour unless they have access to mundane armour.

Just to be clear, there is no such rule for non-wizards.

T10
30-01-2011, 14:56
You are right - that was just one of those "assumptions" we've been hearing so much about.

-T10