PDA

View Full Version : Poly Cement usage in room with hamster?

Bifford
30-01-2011, 11:32
Hey guys, it's a quick one - my other half is moaning at me for doing my warhammer in the same room as our pet hamster, Marple. She keeps going on "If I can smell it that bad then how's it affecting her when she's just this small (4 inch gap held up).

So I did a google search on Poly Cement and animals and it said it was perfectly safe except in REALLY high quantities.....

but what are people's experiences with this? Should I battle the cold January weather and do my plastic glueing outside? or am I okay in here really? (I do open the window whenever possible!)

Cheers.
Sam / Bifford

pacmanswang
30-01-2011, 11:39
As a man and hobbyist i recognise that logic is the only way forward and you should be able to glue in that room

as a person in a relationship who wants sex later, i'd get my ass outside and get glueing :)

Korraz
30-01-2011, 11:41
If it is mobile, put the cage in another room, work, air the room when done, presto.
If not mobile, find something to contain vivid furball in another room, then do the glueing.

Bifford
30-01-2011, 11:41
LMAO

I Can see where you're coming from there..... hehehe

:)

mitsukai
30-01-2011, 12:15
Am I the only one who can see the new O&G Hamster riders in my mind already...

theunwantedbeing
30-01-2011, 12:18
Glue somewhere else.
Either another room or outside.

Penguin
30-01-2011, 12:24
My hamsters haven't shown any noticable symptoms from my glueing. Though it could be hard to tell, they're not very bright to begin with. They do have a good sense of smell though.

But yeah, glue in another room to be on the safe side I guess. Even if it's only to keep the peace at home. :)

Tokamak
30-01-2011, 14:35
Note that generally smaller animals suffer far lower concentrations than we do. I would take it somewhere else.

Sylass
30-01-2011, 14:38
Dennis, Gav Thorpe's mechanical hamster, could maybe answer this. Guess you should try to arrange a meeting of Marple and Dennis...

ulruk headsplitter
30-01-2011, 16:10
i'd put him in another room to be sure, even if it doesn't affect his health i doubt he likes the smell that comes of it :p

Little Joe
30-01-2011, 16:24
On a serious note, oblige your other half. No big deal to put the hamster or yourself out.
On a far less serious note, does the hamster get high on it as well? I can hardly smell the stuff myself anymore and headaches are also in the past, except when coming real close to it. So what smell?

smithers
30-01-2011, 17:54
Sure, you should accommodate the request and move the critter out of the room.

On the other hand, you really MUST play skaven just so you can put the critter in command of a converted Doomwheel!

Bifford
30-01-2011, 18:07
Cage is too big to move or put anywhere else lol.

and the only other place for me to go is outside or the shed.

I did a little test...and as long as I just do a very small amount of gluing in any timeframe the other half doesn't notice the smell lol :) So I shall just have to spread out the gluing :D heheh

Cheers all.

oh, and the hamster doom wheel sounds cool! :D

Earthbeard
30-01-2011, 18:08
I tend to glue in/paint etc in another room entirely to the house pets, of course the ferret's a nosy little menace, but otherwise, always best to err on the side of caution.

In a semi related information, my ferret does not like me dremel'ing things :-/

Gork or Possibly Mork
30-01-2011, 18:28
As a man and hobbyist i recognise that logic is the only way forward and you should be able to glue in that room

as a person in a relationship who wants sex later, i'd get my ass outside and get glueing :)

This man knows what's up. I suggest you take his advice.

scarletsquig
30-01-2011, 19:03
It doesn't make much sense to care about the hamster's health anyway, it'll probably be dead in a year or so regardless.

They're the most depressing pet as far as mortality-reminders go (goldfish aren't cute and furry enough to count).

Bifford
30-01-2011, 20:17
It doesn't make much sense to care about the hamster's health anyway, it'll probably be dead in a year or so regardless.

They're the most depressing pet as far as mortality-reminders go (goldfish aren't cute and furry enough to count).

BUT! BUT! They are just so darned cute and mad! Both the hamster's we've had (Hetty & Marple) have been nut-jobs! :D

heheheh :)

Lord of Divine Slaughter
30-01-2011, 21:39
Its a hamster, glues and paint fumes generally damage your brain, so the little fluffball has nothing to lose :D

064chris
31-01-2011, 01:53
as an animal breeder (60 parrots,plus some reptiles and amphibians) poly cement is not somethingI would use around them as the fumes are strong and when i used it in the same room as some baby parrots they did not seem right after it (some seemed sleepier thn they should) so it should be the shed you are off to im afraid

Darsc Zacal
31-01-2011, 02:27
BUT! BUT! They are just so darned cute and mad! Both the hamster's we've had (Hetty & Marple) have been nut-jobs! :D

That would be the glue fumes. :shifty:

:D

red_zebra_ve
31-01-2011, 02:37

Take a Couple of hamsters, the birth rate will be greater than the mortality rate!! :D

zanzertem
31-01-2011, 21:36
Marple? lol

Lothlanathorian
31-01-2011, 22:06
Go to pet store.
Purchase Hamster ball.
Place Hamster in ball.
Place ball in other room with gf where she can giggle at silly animal in ball.
Glue to heart's content.
Air out room.
Replace rodent.

Bifford
31-01-2011, 22:26
Marple? lol

Our first one was Hetty, named for Hetty Wainthrope Investigates. (female investigator played by the woman who played Hyacynth bucket in Keeping Up appearances).

So when she died and we got a second, I said we could call it another inspector name...like Cluseo. My other half was like "thats a blokes name..." so i went thru the female investigators I could think of and we both like marple, as in Miss Marple. :D

hehehe.

Sam

Bifford
31-01-2011, 22:27
Go to pet store.
Purchase Hamster ball.
Place Hamster in ball.
Place ball in other room with gf where she can giggle at silly animal in ball.
Glue to heart's content.
Air out room.
Replace rodent.

Got two of those. Only problem is you can only put them in the ball for a maximum of 20 minutes as they don't get enough oxygen while inside one.

theorox
01-02-2011, 14:31
Hyacynth bucket

BOQUET!

:D:D:D

Theo

marv335
01-02-2011, 14:37
Why not put the Hamster in a ziplock bag ;)

RanaldLoec
01-02-2011, 15:55
Get a second case, cage, suitable Carrying device for marple to eat, sleep, poop, and run around in while you glue.

Then as above air out the room before returning marple to her cage.

scarletsquig
02-02-2011, 08:00
Encourage Marple to get involved by using her as a proxy hellpit abomination in games. If anyone complains, point out that the game is called warhamster.

Dorack
02-02-2011, 14:05
YOu just need a whacky idea for google images to deliver tons of fun:

http://www.google.es/images?q=war+hamster&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=dGRJTcHgDo-r8AOxu9CbDw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCwQsAQwAA&biw=1280&bih=867