PDA

View Full Version : tree spirit heavy woodevles in 8th?

Darwin_green
30-01-2011, 21:12
I love ents, dryads,and treekin(but not the models) but the fact that fire is way more common than it used to be does kind of scare out of thinking about tree spirits.

so what makes a decent Tree spirit army(still willing to use archers/waywatchers and what-not)?

Matt.Wood88
30-01-2011, 21:28
This edition it is incredibly hard to make an all forest spirit army because of the need for standards due to the blood and glory scenario and the fact that the only forest spirit unit that can take standards is the wild riders. But if you are willing to use glade guard then it becomes a damn sight easier.
Start with a core of 3 units of GG all with standards and musicians and then you can move on to the forest spirits, dryads are pretty good with high strength and toughness compared to the rest of the elves so they make good core units, I'd say go with 2-4 units of 10 depending on what point limit you're working to and then your heroes should be 2 or 3 branchwraiths (I recommend the spite that give an extra dispel dice for one of them and then give others whatever you like, I recommend the terror causing one :) and level 1 for each to spam tree singing) and your lord should be 1 or 2 treeman ancients with whatever you feel like giving them... Specials are treekin only, say two units of 6 and then your rares are treemen. all in all it's actually a pretty good list, although not as good as it was in 7th ed, taking drycha made for an awesome build :)
Cheers
Matt

venomx51
31-01-2011, 14:49
Aye, the poster above has go the right idea; Fill your core with as many small units of glade guard as possible (perhaps a unit of dryads if you must). The spend the rest of your points on Treekin who at T5 with a 4+ and 5+ saves are really nails) and a Treeman.

Also I'd always take a lvl4 Spellweaver with lore of life as a general (tho I know not technically a tree). +4 to dispel, and with an army of multi-wound models being able to heal a wound to any model in 12" each time a spell is cast is a great ability (just keep her close to the treekin/treeman). I'd also avoid taking multiple Branchwraiths personally (maybe just one so you can take the Sprites that give an extra dispel dice).

Borzoni
31-01-2011, 20:32
Also I'd always take a lvl4 Spellweaver with lore of life as a general great prites that give an extra dispel dice).

Totally agree. Enemy magic will be your downfall, negating your ward saves.

Lore of life will be excellent synergy with your blocks of Treekin and your Treeman.

Matt.Wood88
31-01-2011, 20:48
And I would be heavily inclined to make the level 4 a glamourweave put her on a unicorn :) just to make her a forest spirit!
That, and so she can keep up with the treekin/man and also to easily outstrip them should you feel the need...
Cheers
Matt

thrawn
31-01-2011, 21:50
Aye, the poster above has go the right idea; Fill your core with as many small units of glade guard as possible (perhaps a unit of dryads if you must). The spend the rest of your points on Treekin who at T5 with a 4+ and 5+ saves are really nails) and a Treeman.

Also I'd always take a lvl4 Spellweaver with lore of life as a general (tho I know not technically a tree). +4 to dispel, and with an army of multi-wound models being able to heal a wound to any model in 12" each time a spell is cast is a great ability (just keep her close to the treekin/treeman). I'd also avoid taking multiple Branchwraiths personally (maybe just one so you can take the Sprites that give an extra dispel dice).

how do you heal wounds? lore of life only allows you to cast regenerate spell on infantry units??
:confused:

Matt.Wood88
31-01-2011, 22:24
Its the lore attribute that does it, every time you successfully cast a spell from the lore, one model within 12 inches regains a wound.
It's quite useful really...
Cheers
Matt

Tae
01-02-2011, 16:54
Indeed, although the lore of Athel Loren has, imo, become much better this edition now they're easier to cast, thus making Levle 2's not quite so rubbish.

Darwin_green
04-02-2011, 21:00
how's this for a 1000pt list?

SpellWeaver- Lore of Life, glamourweave, iron curse icon 250

16 glade guard, standard bearer 204

12 dryads, leader 152

6 tree kin 390pts

P.S I'm thinking of starting with the battalion since it comes with 24 archers, 12 dryads, and 8 glade riders which I'm going to convert into wild riders. Wild riders seem to be an amazing flanking unit to back up my Tree Kin plus help out with combat results with their banner and musician.

bluemage
04-02-2011, 23:14
Wild riders are expensive pointswise and die far to easily. You would be better off using dryads, treekin or a treeman as a flanking force.

Darwin_green
04-02-2011, 23:25
so then i have the choice of either an pretty modeling project, or a unit of glade riders.

So, unit of 8 glade riders running around shooting stuff in the flanks and killing war machine crew and lone mages?

bluemage
05-02-2011, 00:04
Eh, not really. You're still going to be better off using glade guard for all of that. The models are nice and you can have fun plaing with them. But keep in mind the optimum wood elf list looks something like this: lvl spellweaver with lore of life and wand of the wych elm, a bsb, glade guard, treekin, treemen, great eagles.

theorox
05-02-2011, 08:01
I think a mix between spirits and Elves is crucial, more or less. I got my ass handed to me yesterday by:

12-ish Dryads
5-6 Wild Riders
6+4 Treekin
3x10 Archers
Treeman
Life Spellweaver
BSB on Eagle
Eagle
Fighty Wildrider character

I used my WoC, and even though it was probably a draw in his favour i got pretty much crushed, and the only reason i didn't loose bigtime was that i managed to keep one of my Warriorunits and Knights alive. The Warriors had like 7 guys left out of 18...the other one and my Marauder GW Horde got crushed in combat. :(

Theo