PDA

View Full Version : Who to team up with in a Doubles tornement?

Stunty
30-01-2011, 22:16
I have a bit of a problem......

Me and my group of friends are thinking about going to warhammer world and do the double torny... I play Dwarfs and my other dudes play Chaos warriors, Beastmen, Bretoinia, Empire, Tomb Kings and finally a starting Lizard men army.

I really wanna team up with the Bretonian army as he is thinking all mounted army and this would complement the dwarfs.. erm slowness. But would that not hinder the speed.... hope you see where Im going with this.

Any and all advice would be grate.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
30-01-2011, 22:45
I would say you would be good to go with either the Brettonians (as you say you can provide covering fire for the cavalry's advance) or the Empire, as they you can go full gunline, which will be very nasty indeed with the best of both armies.

Dante blackfur
31-01-2011, 05:21
I would have to agree with Nixon, Bretonnia would be a nice addition to a heavy war machine Drawf army, since you could cover them as the charge. and mop anything else that gets left behind from the knights.

ROCKY
31-01-2011, 05:43
also let me point out, dwarves are no longer slow, you have miners and rangers, your random charge rate has made it that they are almost at par with normal M4 models and your anvil can every make you move twice. anyhows i would suggest brettoniants. because the empire player will probably have the same tactcis as you and while that may seem fine at first, lots of gutter runners, wulfrik, or scouts with poison weapons will make short work of your warmachines. and then your gunline will collapse. Brettonians will be the exact opposite of your list as they WANT to charge and move forward. so that way you can cover him and slowly advance with your warriors to intercept people he left behind or that passed him.

sssk
31-01-2011, 06:41
Which player do you get on with best?

I would think it's generally a good idea to go with another "good" army, but having said that, at leadership 9 and movement 3, you aren't really going to have a problem working with the evil armies (not much need to share general's leadership, and you won't want to put slower characters in faster units).

Having said that, dwarves and beastmen? I think not

Dwarves and Warriors? I think not

What about the lizardmen player? Is he new to warhammer as a whole, or just lizardmen, and is he interested in going to a big tournament?

ftayl5
31-01-2011, 07:07
I'd go lizardmen. Would dominate the magic phase both offensively and defensively. Good shooting, lots of reliable, tough troops. I think it coul work nicely. I'd not advise bretonnians, your shooting units will all become practically useless by turn 2 or 3.

SilasOfTheLambs
31-01-2011, 07:17
Go with empire. Make him bring a bunch of priests and a bunch of bodies, and then you bring the very much superior dwarfen guns and scrollspam, plus an unkillable lord. Great weapon dwarfs with hatred... dwarf lord re-rolling hits and wounds... your wounded characters being healed up to full by priests... rock-solid magic defense with extra dispel dice and scrolls... large numbers of empire state troops to soak up the casualties that cripple dwarfs so quickly... :: shivers::

Stunty
31-01-2011, 11:03
Firstly I would just like to say thank you to eveyone who commented and their advice given.

I get along best with the bretonian and lizardmen guys, and they are both really up for going to Nottingham. The guy with the lizardmen has the codex and two champion models but is crazy (In a good way) at assembelling and painting up an army in a week or two.

Am I right in thinking that it's still 750 points each?

If so I can feild stuff like any kind of Lord/Hero, I have one of each war machine but 2 organ guns, around 2 units of 20 warriors/long beards, 16 hammeres, 12 crossbowmen (no thunderes!) I have around 14 slayers.....

And if I was to go with eaither Lizardmen/Bretoinan.... what kind of units should I be wispering in their ear to buy/paint up ect?

Chain
31-01-2011, 11:53
Just out of curiosity in a team battle would other armies be allowed to shoot into combats with allied Skaven Slaves?
For instance a Hellcannon?

Though DE and Skaven are the troublesome ones for allied combat

Vaiuri
31-01-2011, 12:08
Hi Stunty, Judging from the blurb on the WH website its now 1000 points each and alliances are as the lists in the BRB. Be prepared to play one of each of the scanarios (I have my sources :shifty:).

As for who to team up with... I always struggled to get a decent Bret army at 750 points, 1000 might be easier, the main issue is jamming 2 characters in there.

As someone else pointed out, Dwarves are no longer slow! Depending on how you want to use them you can take a decent partner from any of the armies you've mentioned. I went Dwarves/Empire one year and had a real laugh with it, Hammerers and Swordsmen stole the show :) Cheapo Empire characters and a hefty Runesmith to provide magic defense are a powerful combo, and both armies have access to some great war machines and shooting!

My best advice for Doubles: Prepare for everything, and dont design a 'one trick pony' style army. Play lots and lots of practice games to see how your armies work together!

Stunty
31-01-2011, 14:29
Cheers for the info Vaiuri.

The main drama with the empire army is my mate hasnt the time to sort his army out anymore really. But really like the idea of have knights backing up blocks of dwarfs with the odd shooty thing and a rune smith spoiling their magic phase!

Chain... I dont belive you cant shoot into combat.

Dante blackfur
31-01-2011, 17:19
Cheers for the info Vaiuri.

Chain... I dont belive you cant shoot into combat.

Chain is talking about the skaven slave rule which allows you to shoot at them while they are in cc.
@chain if I remember right (I don't have the book in front of me.) It says you (the controlling player) can shoot at slaves engaged in cc so I don't think your ally can.

Tae
31-01-2011, 17:22
Which player do you get on with best?

I would think it's generally a good idea to go with another "good" army, but having said that, at leadership 9 and movement 3, you aren't really going to have a problem working with the evil armies (not much need to share general's leadership, and you won't want to put slower characters in faster units).

Having said that, dwarves and beastmen? I think not

Dwarves and Warriors? I think not

What about the lizardmen player? Is he new to warhammer as a whole, or just lizardmen, and is he interested in going to a big tournament?

The problem with a good/evil alliance is the magic phase - compounded even more when the good side are Dwarfs. All power dice will be divided equally between the two allies, so basically the bad guy wizards simply lose half of their power dice (as Dwarfs can't use them). And when it comes to dispelling those dice are also split between the armies and cannot be used to dispel against each other, so it just ends up an entire 2,000 army's worth of magic is used against a 1,000 point chaos army with half the dispel dice.

Stunty
01-02-2011, 05:03
I never really considered the magic phase been disruped so much with me playing Dwarfs..... Dont think that the Bret player is going to be a magic oriantated player anyway, may have a damsel on horse back with a few dispell scrolls for example.

Trains_Get_Robbed
01-02-2011, 16:11
High Elves and anyone are great partners. . . just saying. . .

Stunty
01-02-2011, 16:17
Isnt there still a -1 to Leadership if a dwarf is within so many inches of a Elf on the same side?

Tae
01-02-2011, 17:49
I never really considered the magic phase been disruped so much with me playing Dwarfs..... Dont think that the Bret player is going to be a magic oriantated player anyway, may have a damsel on horse back with a few dispell scrolls for example.

You'll be fine with Bretonnians as you're both good guys.

The problem starts when you ally with bad guys.

Stunty
02-02-2011, 21:20
What problems are you talking about Tae?

Necronoxz
02-02-2011, 21:31
Team up with the empire,

make 1 big gunline! both take 1 unit of 20 dude's that can take out the remaining units that sevive your gunshots.

you also can take the lizardmen dude. The sauruswariors have I 1 (yeah :S) let him take spears and let him wait! shoot out your opponent and wait till he charge your sauruswarriors and wipe him out ;). Let him take some skinks so he can bait and shoot some of your opponent ;).

Tae
03-02-2011, 00:47
What problems are you talking about Tae?

The problems I mentioned before about how good guy/bad guy alliances are required to split power and dispel dice and can't cross them over (i.e. good guys can't use their dice to dispel spells cast at the bad guys).

It basically means that if you fight two high magic armies and you're using a gg/bg alliance, you might as well bend over as you're about to get royally f..:rolleyes:

Stunty
03-02-2011, 07:06
Roger Tae thanx

So Necronoxz what your saying is a gunline...... Iv been warned/advised to avoid this due to skirmishers and scouts ect.

Horned Doomsayer
14-03-2011, 09:02
Ha Dave i know your secrets now......

Since you started this thread i might as well throw my ten pence in. I would say it is a tough choice. Many of the practice matches i have managed to avoid any of your Artillery and on occasion it has been more of a hinderance. Hopefully with some lucky dice rolls and tactical placement you wont have the same problems on the weekend. Pairing up with crazy steve and his Lizardmen may also be interesting since we haven't played against lizardmen yet. I think time will tell with a few more practice games once i get back.

One last thought although i doubt there will be many replies as the new tomb king army is inbound. What would you guys say to a Beastmen and Tomb king alliance and what lists to take?

P.S. Get painting wee man i'll be back soon and smashing out the last of my minions.

Horned Doomsayer
14-03-2011, 17:07
So far i have pretty much decided on a standard list.

Balanced army list

Heroes
Wargor 85 pts
extra weapon 4 pts
heavy armour 4 pts
93 pts
Bray Shaman 75 pts
level 2 wizard 35 pts
110 pts
Core
Gor herd x 20 140 pts
extra weapon 20 pts
foe render 10 pts
Musician 5 pts
Standard bearer 10 pts
185 pts
Gor herd x 20 140 pts
extra weapon 20 pts
foe render 10 pts
Musician 5 pts
Standard bearer 10 pts
185 pts
Ungor herd x 20 100 pts
Spear 20 pts
halfhorn 6 pts
musician 3 pts
Standard bearer 6 pts
135 pts
Special

Minotaurs x 3 165 pts
extra weapon 12 pts
177 pts

Harpies x 5 55 pts
55 pts

Total 940 pts

Obviously the rest of the points i will spend on magic and items. I did have an idea of sacking the mino's and taking Slug tongue as a third hero. Whats your views guys?

Havock
15-03-2011, 03:33
Dwarves mix well with warriors of chaos.

GW wielding crossbow dwarfs, laser guided cannons and chaos warriors.

That or just take a cannon or two + the mandatory GPS guided stonethrowers and focus on getting nasty close combat units to complement his.