PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Trader Codex

Vedar
31-01-2011, 21:59
This has been bouncing around my head for a while. One of my friends is always saying there should be a general point system for stats and abilities. I think this is a bad idea as +1 BS to IG is worth a lot more than +1 BS to Daemons. But one thing I think GW could do is come out with Codex: Rogue Trader were you could build different kinds of units with point like you did in Rogue Trader. One of the best parts is GW would not really have to make any new models. Power Armor = Space Marines (maybe shave off symbols), humans = IG, Aliens = Vespid, Kroot, Ogryns.

To balance it it would probably have to cost more per unit or be very limited in vehicle choices.

I see there are already fandexs floating around out there, but What would the intrest be in Codex: Rogue Trader?

Azzy
31-01-2011, 23:39
I don't think it'd be worthwhile as a codex, but it would make for an interesting WD/web article. I don't know if your idea covers it (as I never played RT and have only given more than a cursory look to the Ork stuff), but what I'd love to see is some rules from GW for designing your own special characters... allowing you to take assorted different options and special abilities for (non-special) Characters/Independent Characters/etc. to turn them into the equivalents of Telion, Kantor, Ghazghull, Badrukk, Marbo, Old One Eye, etc. I'd even be happy if it had the stipulation that using such characters required your opponent's permission, weren't tournament legal, must be WYSIWYG, etc. It'd be great for campaigns and Apocalypse battles.

Zurken
31-01-2011, 23:40
Donno... Seems like a cool idea that GW would screw up due to horrible ballance.

Erwos
01-02-2011, 01:47
It would make for an interesting WD article / optional expansion.

impala
01-02-2011, 01:55
I'd really like it, but most everything that needs to be done, already can be with "counts as." The Witch Hunters codex in particular can be built many different ways to reflect a variety of things.

The Anarchist
01-02-2011, 02:45
i seem to remember in WFB there was a rules set for building a warband, randomated mutations and characters added and such. this sort of approach to a rouge trader and his band of followers might be a possible way.
Being to young to have played rouge trader I've only ever been able to read the book and watch a very few cursory games played by my dad and soem old friends. it looked alot more complicated but more skirmish based than the present 40k, some where between Necrumunda and a full battle. so would love to see soemthing like this, tough balance would be important i feel

Poseidal
01-02-2011, 09:46
It could be a good idea, but it would need proper support and I wouldn't pitch it against the existing 40k armies. I would rather pitch it as it's own game.

Lord Damocles
01-02-2011, 09:53
...most everything that needs to be done, already can be with "counts as."
This.

The Imperial Armour Renegades and Tyrant's Legion lists make good counts-as for mixed human/Marine-ish/alien/abhuman forces as well.