PDA

View Full Version : The Temuchin 23rd art competition!

Anvils Hammer
21-03-2006, 16:07
like the title says ,Id like some art work done fro my Temuchin drop troops,
it can be one drop trooper, or several, fighter or not, what you feel like drawing.

Ill pick a winner at some point... and that person will recieve a Temuchin drop trooper as a prize! or several, a really really cool peice of art could get you anything up to an entire squad.
runners up may also recieve drop troopers at my discretion, bascially, everythings up to my discretion :p

so far ZAChos has drawn a drop trooper, as has strv, post your artwork here!

you can find all the various sketches and models Ive done so far in my photobucket account, just click on the "temuchin 23rd" album after clicking the link in my sig.

good luck! if anyone feels like entering.

strv
21-03-2006, 16:34
http://files.upl.silentwhisper.net/upload6/DSCN1382.JPG

Here it is, :)

He is realoding if anyone wonder.

Edit: updated

immortal99
21-03-2006, 18:51
Do they use grav chutes like the Elysians?

EDIT: Just finished!

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3/immortal99/ScannedPicture1.jpg

EDIT: again - might take picture on friday - scan makes everything look darker and messier.

Gae'Mot
21-03-2006, 19:58
http://users.pandora.be/gmotha/Archive/temuchin.gif
A quickie.
Charcoal and pencil.

malika
21-03-2006, 20:32
Oh I really like that one! Check yur PM dude!

ZAChos
21-03-2006, 20:41
Gonna have to get off my **** and try and upstage you upstarts to my crown.

Good stuff all.

Anvils Hammer
21-03-2006, 20:49
wow, Im amazed theres been so many entrys in what.. a day?

the standard is excelent so far.

Immortal, I like the grenade he's holding, as if hes just holding a live grenade for fun before throwing it at the last second.

Gae'Mot, thats absolutly awesome! I love the dark feel of it, charcoal is a great medium.

Im gonna do my own sketch now, to make a defintative guide to what a temuchin looks like, for future entrants.

wait for it..

Gae'Mot
21-03-2006, 21:03
Gae'Mot, thats absolutly awesome! I love the dark feel of it, charcoal is a great medium.Everybody loves charcoal^^

I'll probably make another one, this one's a bit dull and motionless.

@malika: replied!

Anvils Hammer
21-03-2006, 21:11
Everybody loves charcoal^^

I'll probably make another one, this one's a bit dull and motionless.

@malika: replied!

if ya do.. wait for mine, then you can get all the little details perfect before upstaging me dramatically :p

heres a WIP of my initial sketch, you can see Ive started the second drop trooper behind this one.
This is going to be my "codex:temuchin" front cover
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/Temuchin%2023rd/temusketchwip1.jpg

MIGHTYPanhead
22-03-2006, 01:12
guess i'd better get off my 'duff and do something- here's a WIP for you all

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/Hazmat_captain_ZERO/random%20junk/25e10803.jpg

comments? crits?

Anvils Hammer
22-03-2006, 01:41
wow, thats really nice as well MIGHTYpanhead, I like the depictation of the underslung grenade launcher. Is he holding a peice of parchment?

Its interesting to see how every sketch is slightly different, each drawing a slightly different visualisation of what a Temuchin soldier looks like.

Im glad I can say this- mines the most accurate so far :p

Id be worried if it wasnt, seeing as I have the models in front of me....

keep the entrys coming in guys, Im liking what I see.

MIGHTYPanhead
22-03-2006, 01:53
wow, thats really nice as well MIGHTYpanhead, I like the depictation of the underslung grenade launcher. Is he holding a peice of parchment?

Its interesting to see how every sketch is slightly different, each drawing a slightly different visualisation of what a Temuchin soldier looks like.

Im glad I can say this- mines the most accurate so far :p

oh, well, I wanted that hand to be doing something, and it just ended up as some peice of paper... I'd guess it'd be a map, yea, that sounds good :p

and yes, I know mine's slightly off, and I can point out the majority of the oddities if you like....;)

i'm hoping to have it finished tonight, and i might end up photoshop-painting it, undecided as of yet

wexlovexalyson
22-03-2006, 06:41
yeah, so i know its pretty bare but i just wanted to get a feel before i started to jump into some with a little more detail.

anyway i wanted to know if there was anything important i left out, or something im missing you prefer.

like i said i know its rough but i had to start somewhere.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/takenbystorm/0001.jpg

ZAChos
22-03-2006, 07:46
Looks nice, but I think the heads out of proportion a tad. Something I have a problem with too. Nowadays I just rough in the head until the rest is done so i can get it in proportion with the rest of the pic.

Gae'Mot
22-03-2006, 08:32
if ya do.. wait for mine, then you can get all the little details perfect before upstaging me dramatically :pI was kinda waiting for you to get the details in place^^

Rabid Bunny 666
22-03-2006, 08:41
well, i've just started mine

ZAChos
22-03-2006, 12:46
Here we are.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7217&stc=1&d=1143032224

Sargeant Glaxxon finds a relic of the wrzones previous inhabitants (its a teddy bear).

immortal99
22-03-2006, 15:53
Here is my new entry I prefer it and it looks better than the old one. He is supposed to be falling to the ground using his grav chute to slow descent. Something like "Descent by Moonlight".

EDIT: Upload the picture! :rolleyes:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3/immortal99/blahblahblah.jpg

EDIT AGAIN: Should I add more detail to this perhaps?

Anvils Hammer
22-03-2006, 16:01
woohoo, more entrys!

wexlovexaylson, thats looking very cool so far.

ZAChos, make him a bit fatter, with a bigger respirator, add upper arm armour etc, hes looking good!

edit- Immortal99, thats a cool drawing, is that elsyian equipment being used! heresy! :D I like the "looking down the scope" look.
the detail and shading is good, if anything, Id work on slightly more natural looking limbs, the exposed thigh is quite boxy, cloths are more flowing.. just a few minute altering lines to adjest the proportions slighty will make it better. looking forward to seeing what you come up with., and he needs his shoulder pads.. very important those...

right, here is an annotated diagram of all the things that are commonly missing off your drawings.
Stuff that isnt on this diagram, is not standard temuchin kit :)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/Temuchin%2023rd/sketchwip1annotated.jpg

I need to get that finnished, but wont have time now till after carnage.

keep the entrys coming guys! (and girls, if any feel like entering:))

immortal99
22-03-2006, 17:27
Updated: Elysian technology?!? What are you talking about ;) I was wondering if they absailed. Have i got everything covered now?

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3/immortal99/temuchiananan.jpg

strv
22-03-2006, 20:01
You have changed the look from the minnies, no? I based my drawing on your final collour scheme one anyway(the blue one).

Anvils Hammer
22-03-2006, 20:30
Immortal- thats exactly what the loop is for! nice one!

strv, I havent changed a thing, the sketch is based exactly on the mini's, it probably helps that Ive got them in front of me, and created them in the first place, the colour scheme picture isnt that clear, yours is almost spot on though.

MIGHTYPanhead
22-03-2006, 20:35
whoopie! finished!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/Hazmat_captain_ZERO/random%20junk/efd525ac.jpg

now, i did notice the things i missed, but I don't think erasing/starting anew was entirely worth it, so blah.

enjoy! C&C welcome! should i colour/mess around with it in photoshop? undecided at the moment

plasmadaemon
22-03-2006, 21:08
Yo, I might scrape something up during my spare time, so except something from me sooner or later.

MP: That looks mighty fine that does, awesome, love the cloth and the subtle shading :)
(First time I use 'yo' in a post at the start of the post, hehe ;) )

Goblit Skullhelm
22-03-2006, 21:53
I'm not too good at drawing, so I whipped something up in Paint.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/goblit_skullhelm/sketch.jpg

I just have to get one of those troopers... this probably isn't the way... :(

Anvils Hammer
22-03-2006, 22:53
no, I can safty say you arnt likly to win with that effort goblit :)

if the thread had remained open, the first person to include "skull" in a post would have won a trooper. but that competition is replaced by this one.

ps, I like your "location" entry :)

edit, forgot, looking very nice there MIGHTYpanhead, I like your style alot.

MIGHTYPanhead
22-03-2006, 23:54
MP: That looks mighty fine that does, awesome, love the cloth and the subtle shading :)
(First time I use 'yo' in a post at the start of the post, hehe ;) )

many thanks! though, the shading turned out 'very' rough by my standards (:p ) I was using a 2H pencil, instead of my normal HB. big difference actually.

NorthernMike
23-03-2006, 02:05
Well, here is a quick sketch I came up with this morning while I was doing a trial of a new style/meduim. Hope you like it.

PS. That is a super cool project Anvil, i mean that "was" as super cool project and if it had continued I would have liked to see it finished.

piotrov
23-03-2006, 03:41
NorthernMike - Wow, that is some mighty fine brush work! You have any more of your art up online anywhere to check out?

MIGHTYPanhead
23-03-2006, 03:49
indeed, very cool mike!

is that medium paint? which type?

NorthernMike
23-03-2006, 04:08
Thanks guys, this one is just a corel painter 9 sketch using pencils and charcoal. I was experimenting with another medium i had not used yet.

I don't have a website yet, as it is in process but interupted my a busy deadline schedual at work so....
But I do have a few others on warseer here. One was for Chaos and Evil's Elysian DT codex and the other for Stugmeister's campaign. They are from back a while ago now, around January I think.

plasmadaemon
23-03-2006, 15:45
W-with a tablet I presume? ;) *Is blown away*

Anvils Hammer
23-03-2006, 16:01
not drawn by hand??? disqualified!!!

just joking mate, its really really good!

strv
23-03-2006, 18:14
strv, I havent changed a thing, the sketch is based exactly on the mini's, it probably helps that Ive got them in front of me, and created them in the first place, the colour scheme picture isnt that clear, yours is almost spot on though.

Well I was on This one (http://photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/Temuchin%2023rd/?action=view&current=4painted1.jpg).
And your painting looks like this (http://photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/Temuchin%2023rd/?action=view&current=sketchwip1annotated.jpg), some lighning bolts has changed to skulls.

But you may have changed it without uploading photos though.

Anvils Hammer
23-03-2006, 19:11
Well I was on This one (http://photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/Temuchin%2023rd/?action=view&current=4painted1.jpg).
And your painting looks like this (http://photobucket.com/albums/y17/joelpitt1/Temuchin%2023rd/?action=view&current=sketchwip1annotated.jpg), some lighning bolts has changed to skulls.

But you may have changed it without uploading photos though.

nope, its the same, my sketch is exactly the same as that mini.

The skulls are actual 3D on the mini, and the right shoulder pad can have alighting bolt as well as the skull.

all minor details mate, nothing to worry about :)

Warboss Garfang
23-03-2006, 20:35
Woah NorthernMike, that's awesome!

Maybe I should try out my [horrible] drawing skills, although I really haven't got a chance against some of the guys here.

MIGHTYPanhead
23-03-2006, 21:10
Give a go! it only takes a small amount of time before you see improvements!

and plus, drawing's fun! :)

Goblit Skullhelm
23-03-2006, 21:28
no, I can safty say you arnt likly to win with that effort goblit :)
It's the red arms, isn't it? I knew they were unrealistic.

NorthernMike
24-03-2006, 00:27
I love when people say that using a computer isn't drawing by hand, like I used my feet or something hahaha.

Yeah, I know what you mean though. I do use a wacom, but as I am spending the year without a scanner, it is the only option I currently have, well the only one I am using.

Common warboss, lets see what you can do. There are no bad drawings, only different levels of experience.
And actually Goblit, I liked the red arms!

NorthernMike
24-03-2006, 03:26
Another quicky...titled: "What they don't tell you about being an imperial guard drop trooper"

Just kidding, well sorta. I just wanted to show a bit more of the front, and really am enjoying the charcoal brush fun.

NorthernMike
24-03-2006, 10:05
Sorry I am getting a bit carried away here. Now I just am really enjoying it.

Anvils Hammer
24-03-2006, 10:29
love that last one NOrthern mike.

you can only enter one picture, so in stead of doing lots of separate ones, perhapsa combined image with 2-3 troopers and background.

I really like the stlye your using.

MIGHTYPanhead
24-03-2006, 20:02
love that last one NOrthern mike.

you can only enter one picture, so in stead of doing lots of separate ones, perhapsa combined image with 2-3 troopers and background.

actually, those three he's done so far could be easily integrated together

and idea, at least...

very nice stuff mike! :)

juddski
25-03-2006, 10:49
***It's the red arms, isn't it? I knew they were unrealistic***

thinking about it ,you could be right Goblit Skullhelm :D :D

is there a closing date on this compertion Anvils Hammer?:confused:

love the artwork this thread has created, some real talented people :eek:

immortal99
26-03-2006, 14:28
I thought it was friday as in the now dead Temuchin project log thread Joel said end of the week... Sunday or friday? Oh and juddski am I one of the talented ones? :D

StugMeister
26-03-2006, 14:47
But I do have a few others on warseer here. One was for Chaos and Evil's Elysian DT codex and the other for Stugmeister's campaign. They are from back a while ago now, around January I think.

Once again NorthernMike you've done some great work. I love the fluidity of your art.

BTW, not my campaign; I do believe you're thinking about Tom's Praetorian Zulu-type campaign?

Once again nice work!:D

juddski
26-03-2006, 19:35
I thought it was friday as in the now dead Temuchin project log thread Joel said end of the week... Sunday or friday? Oh and juddski am I one of the talented ones?

of course , .if i may make a couple of observations , i think you need to concentrate on proportions , but the main thing is ..............
*and i know you do*
you like doing what you do , keep it up and try and take any critisms on the chin ,when i first started posting on the WWW.
my first drawings were very similar to yours but looking at everybodies drawings/painting/sketches i very slowly improved thanks to meeting some great people on the net who guided:) /shouted:( /encouraged and some times poked me with a sharpe stick:cries: till i got the pic i was doing for them as near as possible as they wanted ,some times it was a pain but without realising it .it helped me improve (and there's always room for improvment),
ssssso yes i think your talented but it could be better if you ''look'' at what your drawing instead of drawing what you know,this is not a critisim just an observation as i'm the worlds worste at doing what i've advised you not too,

*examples of change ,in five years*
the marines were one of the first pics i did on portent..
some on my eaily pics and older ones
(hope you can see the difference)

*edit*
taken off pictures as it's not my thread :D

Anvils Hammer
27-03-2006, 00:18
juddski.. nice art there.

your entering i trust? :)

there is no specific deadline
at some point I will give a weeks notice, itll be within the next month or so

keep the entres coming guys..

NorthernMike
27-03-2006, 01:29
Thanks again stugs and guys. There is some really great wor developing here. I actually used almost something from everyone's sketches as reference and inspiration for mine, alongside those awsome "sculpts" too. Keep it up guys.

You want more anvil? Ha ha, how much time do you think I have? I think rather, just choose the one you like best and that will be my enty. I just have too much work at this time. Maybe in a month or 2 but not for a while, sorry boys.

juddski
27-03-2006, 09:24
juddski.. nice art there.

your entering i trust? :)

there is no specific deadline
at some point I will give a weeks notice, itll be within the next month or so

keep the entres coming guys..

cheers Anvils Hammer ok ,i'll give it a go ;) .........

*i might be in with a chance now northen mikes stopped for a month or two* :D ;)

Pillx
27-03-2006, 22:08
Nice work all around guys/gals! Here's my Q&D version...
I'm sure I have elements of the design completely wrong -I did a lot of guesswork so appologies for inaccuracies and all that.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b17/Pillx/40k_Drop_troop_01d.jpg

NorthernMike
27-03-2006, 22:22
Oooo very nice Pillx

Anvils Hammer
27-03-2006, 22:43
wow, thats aweseme.

you only missed one thing, the rims on top of the knee pads, other than that, its perfect. Im very impressed.

juddski
28-03-2006, 10:15
Oooo very nice Pillx

i second that :cool: ,Oooo:eek: :cool:

immortal99
28-03-2006, 17:10
I third it! Though he has also missed off the aqulla on the belt buckle Anvil...

Rogue-Angel
28-03-2006, 20:17
Hmm... I think I'll give it a go too. Expect something in the coming week or so :)

StugMeister
28-03-2006, 21:02
I'd love to do some sketches for you on this anvil, I really would. But time is never on my side...

I'm getting ideas akin to A Bridge Tooo Far, with the Temuchin's as the British Paras!

Silent Surrender
30-03-2006, 21:30
Ok my turn! Didnt get everything in the picture that you asked for, hope you like it anyway.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/2983/laststand0ac.th.jpg (http://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image=laststand0ac.jpg)

juddski
30-03-2006, 22:03
excellent stuff there Silent Surrender , love the expression and dynamics of it all

Anvils Hammer
31-03-2006, 14:30
very nice silent surrender, I like the pose and dynamism, the little details arnt to important, I havent designed any officers yet, so for all we know, this could be what they look like.
I only know that Temuchin officers carry chain axe's most of them time, a throwe back to when I collected khorne bezerkers.

MIGHTYPanhead
01-04-2006, 16:37
just to semi-reveive this thread, heres a quick mock-up that i was showing northern mike, It's all three of his drawings combined into one.

not my entry, and he can use it if he wants to, just wanted to show it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/Hazmat_captain_ZERO/random%20junk/b09048e6.jpg

Anvils Hammer
01-04-2006, 16:54
quality..... really really nice combo of the three.

My only gripe is that the runnig one should be slightly bigger, as he is in the foreground.

righty, the CLOSING DATE for entrys is going to be the 14th of april, two weeks from now, if you want to enter for a chance at getting that drop trooper, get drawing!

good luck.

MIGHTYPanhead
01-04-2006, 17:22
My only gripe is that the runnig one should be slightly bigger, as he is in the foreground.

i agree, though, in a previous test, his size meant his head got kind of 'lost' in the trooper being shot.

for the record, he is a bit bigger, just not by much ;)

juddski
08-04-2006, 23:08
Temuchin 23rd painted in watercolours

Anvils Hammer
08-04-2006, 23:28
wow, thats quality work Juddski, I love the visor.

I've forgoten when i said the competition was due to close, but its soon... so if anyone has any more entrys, deadline looms.

Im going camping now till next weekend, so Ill update everything then.

cheers guys,

juddski
09-04-2006, 11:18
wow, thats quality work Juddski, I love the visor.

I've forgoten when i said the competition was due to close, but its soon... so if anyone has any more entrys, deadline looms.

Im going camping now till next weekend, so Ill update everything then.

cheers guys,

thanks A.H. :D ,................i think you said the 14th of April?:confused:
i've got a couple more pics ofthe 23rd ,they're all basically the same pose but if i can't finish them i'll post then as WIP

juddski
10-04-2006, 11:48
landfall ,secuiring the LZ:D *****edited*****

Warboss Garfang
10-04-2006, 14:06
Well, I like the first one more, but your art is awesome Juddski.

juddski
13-04-2006, 14:23
Well, I like the first one more, but your art is awesome Juddski.

woah, thanks a lot Warboss :eek: ,not sure about the awesome bit ,but thanks for the compliment
i've edited the last one as there were things on there that didn't come out as expected

WIP ,this one was the one i was doing before the last one
:confused::eek: :confused:

.the poses are almost the same but i gave up/ lost interest in this one for some reason

Anvils Hammer
14-04-2006, 03:13
wow, I really like that WIP greenish one, its excellent, Why did you give up on it..?

I did say the 14th, but thats today, so ill extend it a few days,

sunday evening is when I will be posting the voting poll, so any late entrys, you have untill then...

Im really pleased with the number and quality of entrys.

juddski
14-04-2006, 11:05
it just happens sometimes ,one minuite your steaming full speed aheadbahead ... *i somtimes start two or three at the same time*,
and the next you just can't pick up a pencil to finish it :wtf: ,i think it's the equivilant of writers block:confused: , i have another WIP in pencil of the 232rd comming out of the sky just before they land ,but it's only in pencil ATM .. ......
Glad you like the last couple A.H. ,much appreciated;)