PDA

View Full Version : Crazy cross Codex contamination

Lothlanathorian
01-02-2011, 10:11
I am pleased with that thread title and it was completely unplanned and totally accidental. Now, on to the meat (or tofurkey, if you prefer) and potatoes of this thread:

Ever played a game and used units from more than one Codex or allowed an opponent to do so? Was it Apocalypse or 40K? What units did you use and why? Was it fun? Did it ruin the game? Did you lose your job and a kidney because you dared to violate the sanctity of 40K and the balance* of the game and its codices**?:shifty:

So, tell us about the Heresy of your friendly games and why your dog left you over it and took your wife with him. And, please, do not link us to the YouTube video of the country song you wrote about it.

*LAWL!
**Note usage of proper pluralized form of 'codex'

Poseidal
01-02-2011, 10:35
The closest was a 2v2 in 3rd (we used the 3.5 rules as they were released then) of two ~1000 point armies allied.

It was Eldar (me) and Dark Eldar vs. 2 Chaos Armies (Thousand Sons and Alpha Legion).

If I recall correctly, Team Eldar totally destroyedthe opposition, using Raiders to block LOS to prime targets like the short range Dire Avengers/Guardians back when Assault 2 was better than Rapid Fire for shooting on the move at 12". Also, getting Wyches to tarpit and then getting Banshees in to cut through the power armour (something the old Dark Eldar list could only do with Incubi in one squad).

If we used the Webway Portal and constructed the list around that, it could have been nastier, getting an Avatar and multiple Wraithlords and Talos in their lines fast.

Lothlanathorian
01-02-2011, 11:50
That sounds like it was a murderfest lol. Honestly, even if I were on the losing team, I think I'd have enjoyed that game because, sometimes, frustration and hopelessness are fun :p

Killgore
01-02-2011, 12:02
Apocalypse

Often are games are forces of the Imperium vs Forces of Chaos

Iv taken to the field of battle with armys composed of Eye of Terror Codex Lost and the Damned, Codex CSM Word Bearers and Codex Daemons

Iv faced horrors such as the Super Spacemarine command squad, with heroes from the Ultramarines, Space Wolves and Blood Angels all giving each other their special rules, makes one nasty assault unit

Recently theres been abit of a backlash against the player who feilds the mega command squad, people have got abit fed up of him turning up to games with only one box of models which procede to kill many things. people have started to make their own mega units to teach him a lesson or creating rules to govern future apocalypse games to prevent such character heavy forces

Bunnahabhain
01-02-2011, 12:06
Cult lists: Mix and match Guard + relevant chaos books, or the nid book.

Keep it fluffy, and it all seems to balance out.

AndrewGPaul
01-02-2011, 12:07
creating rules to govern future apocalypse games to prevent such character heavy forces

Surely the only rule needed is "don't bring that unit again; no-one's having any fun"?

We used to have games years ago with various combinations of Chaos, Eldar, Space Wolves and Squats. More recently, I've played Sisters of Battle and Imperial Guard vs Tyranids

Thalenchar
01-02-2011, 12:52
For Apocalypse we do this all the time. Usually we just have one big battle on a saturday with whoever shows up from our group of friends. Then we look at what army everyone's brought, divide them into two semi-feasable groups (whose side do you put those Tyranids on?) and then go play. We've had all sorts of weird combinations: Imperial Guard, Tyranids and Eldar vs Orks, Chaos Marines and Daemons; Tau and Marines vs Guard and Chaos; you name it.
One of the things we often allow is let players who play Loyalist Marines, Guard or Inquisitor armies choose units / datasheets from any loyalist force. In the same vein we let any Chaos player take whatever he wants from Daemons, CSM and Imperial Guard. As long as every player brings an army to the agreed number of points (usually 3000, sometimes more) it's all good. Also, it's apocalypse and it's supposed to be fun, so really anything goes!

For more normal games I don't think we usually allow it, but that might be more to do with that nobody actually wants to try it. For me personally it would be ok as long as it was fluffy. I have no problem with competitive armies but don't go taking the best of 2 codices just it'll be easier for you to win!

marv335
01-02-2011, 13:04
Ultramarines with a thunderhawk in apocalypse.
With carnifexs' in it.

Sgt John Keel
01-02-2011, 13:51
Last Apocalypse game I played a 6000 point mix of Blood Angels, Imperial Guard, Dæmonhunters and Sisters of Battle. The other sides were pure Craftworld Eldar and Death Guard & Orks. No one really cares about the balance of it all.

Also, I like the current trend of alliterative thread titles.

Lord Damocles
01-02-2011, 13:52
With carnifexs' in it.
Blarg-Rawr rides again!

Lion El Jason
01-02-2011, 14:09
I just want to say the proper plural is Codexes.

Thalenchar
01-02-2011, 14:10
With carnifexs' in it.

Ordo Biologis experimental gene-enhanced combat mostrosities getting their first official field test being dropped into a hot combat zone by the bestest transport providers in the galaxy?

AndrewGPaul
01-02-2011, 14:16

As the vulture in The Jungle Book said, "now, don't start that again!" :)

Mannimarco
01-02-2011, 14:44
And now you all know why I just say "books".

For somthing so trivial we get wound up far to easily over this "its codices! Thats the proper latin plural of codex" and "no its not! GW themselves say codexes! you gonna say geedubya are wrong!?"

i still stand by my mixed army of Death Guard led by Epidemius with several rhino mounted PM squads, blight drones and soul grinders. Even more horrific if you include the plague ogryns as an elite choice (see Vraks 3 for the SoD list or Adepticon rules pdf where you can include them in a CSM army).

sigur
01-02-2011, 20:04

No, it's not.

Inquisitor Engel
01-02-2011, 20:24
I will continue to mix my Grey Knights, Inquisitor and Imperial Fists when I damned well please.

GCMandrake
01-02-2011, 20:37
Having a techpriest and techmarine both clinging to the back of an eldar Scorpion, desperately trying to keep it's pulsars firing in apocalypse was always fun. So was the Farseer in a Green Tide to keep the whole bunch fortuned. Terminators led by Ghazkhull in a Stompa however was my favourite - nothing like angry metal monsters storming out of an even bigger angry metal monster.

Man our Apocalypse games were silly. Obscene combinations weren't just possible, they were applauded. Doesn't always work mind. A Marine super-character-super-unit embarked in a Land Raider spend all game being tossed around by a Lifta-Dropa. And a Stormlord-full of Meks still got blown up.

Ozendorph
01-02-2011, 22:26
In our last doubles tournament my brother and I teamed up with Dark Eldar and Daemons. Our team name was "Merkin Airlines", but after three rounds we decided "Fragile and Flaky" would be a better moniker. I got my preferred wave in only one game (and generally rolled poorly for reserves) and our Ravagers and Raiders were more often represented by plastic craters than the actual models.

Just played an Apoc game on Saturday with Daemons and CSM vs. an unlikely xenos trio of Orks, Tau, and Tyranids. Quality stuff right there. The forces of chaos just barely claimed a victory, but the Ork Stompa was still moshing around the table without a scratch on it at the end of the game

lolplates
01-02-2011, 23:16
With carnifexs' in it.

This would have to be the best thing ever, next to the guy with termies in a stompa.

cromanobtroir
01-02-2011, 23:32
Non apocalypse army I fielded 2 units of grey knights, 2 units of sisters of battle squad of scouts and a squad of veteran Catachan with destroyers immoliator an inquistor assasin.completely legal

Thud
01-02-2011, 23:40
I once played against a guy using units from the Chaos Space Marines, Daemons and IG codices. Sort of like the modern day version of Lost and the Damned.

Pretty cool beans.

Inquisitor Gabriel Ashe
02-02-2011, 00:09
Both 'codexes' and 'codices' are fine. Just don't--for the love of the Emperor--use some other abomination.

Mannimarco
02-02-2011, 00:12
Ill stick with "books"....or codii if im trying to wind up the people who take this far to seriously.

Lothlanathorian
02-02-2011, 01:29
With carnifexs' in it.

I love you, Marv.

Also, I like the current trend of alliterative thread titles.

Sadly, didn't realize I had done it until after the fact.

Having a techpriest and techmarine both clinging to the back of an eldar Scorpion, desperately trying to keep it's pulsars firing in apocalypse was always fun. So was the Farseer in a Green Tide to keep the whole bunch fortuned. Terminators led by Ghazkhull in a Stompa however was my favourite - nothing like angry metal monsters storming out of an even bigger angry metal monster.

Man our Apocalypse games were silly. Obscene combinations weren't just possible, they were applauded. Doesn't always work mind. A Marine super-character-super-unit embarked in a Land Raider spend all game being tossed around by a Lifta-Dropa. And a Stormlord-full of Meks still got blown up.

I want to play in games like this. This sounds epic and awesome. One day, I want to convert a Carnifex with a Mek riding him to be disgorged from the belly of a Stompa.

Both 'codexes' and 'codices' are fine. Just don't--for the love of the Emperor--use some other abomination.

I just want to point out that I threw that in their to be cheeky. We all know it's actually 'codockededactyliis.'

Fathoym
02-02-2011, 01:41
With carnifexs' in it.

It's posts like this that make me wish Warseer had a "Like" button.

TheLaughingGod
02-02-2011, 02:57
Blarg-Rawr rides again!

What? I am confuse.

Sir_Turalyon
02-02-2011, 13:58
Cypher and squad of Fallen Angels in Imperial Guard, back when when rules allowed that. Didn't work well, rest of army was not able to support them.

Bunnahabhain
02-02-2011, 14:30
What? I am confuse.

Sometime around the time of the SW codex, it was decided, for Calgar to keep up with the stupidity that is thunder-wolf cavalry, he too should have a mount of some kind.

The chosen one was Blarg Rawr!, the pet carnifex....

One of those memes, like actual cheese falcons, and rending pony launchers.

Iverald
02-02-2011, 16:24
It's Blargh Rawr! And it's a meme orginated on Warseer. I tell you, I was there and witnessed the awesomeness. :D

This Thread starting page 3. (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185091&highlight=Blarg+Rawr&page=3)

Warpcrafter
02-02-2011, 18:10
At the store where I play, we do 2v2 or 3v3 all the time, usually 1,000 or 1,500 per player. We really don't worry too much about it making sense at all.

nedius
02-02-2011, 19:59
I've played a 1500pt battle that was a mixture of IG and Genestealers to represent a genestealer cult.

Emeraldw
02-02-2011, 21:10
Team games have all sorts of wierd rules. Like I was in a 2v2 game where a space marine command team rode in an ork trukk to use the open top rules.

In single games I have a friend who bemoans the state of Thousand sons in the 4.0 codex and has incorporated rules from the 3.5 into games for fun.

Carlosophy
03-02-2011, 14:08
In 3rd edition we occasionally used to ally my Mech Eldar with a Death Company variant BA list and we used to slaughter all before use. I would have Starcannons coming out the Wazoo with Scorpions, Dragons and Banshees holding up inside my serpents as a mobile reserve whilst the Death Company Terminators with Corbulo used to crush anything beneath them. 2A base + CCW + Corbulo + DC upgrade = 50A on the charge at S5, I5 (Furious Charge) with re-rolls to hit (Corbulo) and to Wound (Lightening Claws) with 2+/5++ and FnP on the defence. You combine this with my 5 Reaper/Starwalker units and there was very little out Chaos opponent could do to stop us.

Hellebore
03-02-2011, 14:45
It's Blargh Rawr! And it's a meme orginated on Warseer. I tell you, I was there and witnessed the awesomeness. :D

This Thread starting page 3. (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185091&highlight=Blarg+Rawr&page=3)

Wow that thread's already two years old. How time flies when you're making fun.

Speaking of which, I actually started working on an ork army that counts as tyranids. Meks and docs capturing tyranid creatures and orkifying them. A trygon ridden by a mek like a cowboy, carnifexes with meks riding them using joysticks stuck in their skulls to control them, remote control termagants (with arials) and a hive tyrant with a roll cage where it's chest should be and an ork pulling on levers to activate the tyrant's choppy bits.

Looted nids for apocalypse.

Hellebore