PDA

View Full Version : Two casters or one? 2000 points

hobbs3023
01-02-2011, 18:39
Whats your preference? One lvl 4 caster or two level 2s? I know each army may have a different answer... personally I like the idea of having two incase one goes down... or blows up (all your eggs in one basket).

Chain
01-02-2011, 19:36
personally prefer a lvl 4 and a lvl 2

hobbs3023
01-02-2011, 21:04
I'd love a 4 and a 2 but that would eat up too many points. Not enough left for the (mandatory) bsb!

BaSe
01-02-2011, 21:12
That's the problem not enough points. In my warriors army I go a lvl 4 and a lvl 2 however I play everything khorne so nothing panics however with any other armies I'd go a lvl 4 and bsb :)

narrativium
01-02-2011, 21:20
A level 4. Two level 2s may have twice the positions on the board and twice the allocation of arcane items but the extra +2 to cast four spells and dispel are vital against any opponent who takes a level 4.

I play Ogres. My 2K army always a Slaughtermaster - completely unequipped, but worth the points.

cool-kid-on-the-block
01-02-2011, 22:44
high leadership general, lvl4, bsb is always a sound choice.

if i decided to opt out of a lvl 4 i would say 3(maybe 4) lvl 1s depending on army purely to spam signature spells everywhere.

LevDaddy
01-02-2011, 23:43
Depends on the army and the list.

With my VC I usually go with a hybrid lvl 3 general, and at least one lvl 1 (Necro or Vamp) in a 2,000 pt list, but I can get away with just a Lvl 4 General and a BSB, depending on the list and what I want to do.

BattleofLund
02-02-2011, 01:17
Played most of my 8th games using two lvl2s, recently switched to one lvl4.
Not going back: the lvl2s did as well only against magic cripples (ie, enemy's magic defense killed off) but defensively and against active defense the lvl4 is nom-nom.

Edit: post count 756. 7-5-6 is the most common stat line for German Panzer Corps in Avalon Hill's Russian Front. Good old game!

Lord Inquisitor
02-02-2011, 01:36
Much as people have noted, first of all you get a Level 4. If you can afford it, you get a level 2 as well, but armies with expensive wizards (ogres, WoC) will probably stick with a level 4 at 2000 points.

Narrativum - I'd not leave my Slaughtermaster unequipped. Surely he needs some kind of save or the Gut Magic will kill him? A Wyrdstone necklace at least. That still leaves you 80 points to spend on upgrades for your tyrant...

vinny t
02-02-2011, 03:29
I almost always go with just one lvl 4. But my lvl 4 is usually a Slaan so that changes things

Pointy Headed Elven Paladin
02-02-2011, 04:06
Whats your preference? One lvl 4 caster or two level 2s? I know each army may have a different answer... personally I like the idea of having two incase one goes down... or blows up (all your eggs in one basket).

Playing High Elves I tend to go with at least 2 (a Lvl 4 & Lvl 2) at anything above 2000 pts.

At 2000 & below it situational. If I'm playing against horde armies like skaven, O&G, & Beastmen I will most likely have 2 as I tend to send my Archmage out often to cast offensive spells against the bulk of the opposing force while the 2nd lvl. Mage is there to buff my troops once they get into close combat.

However lately I'm questioning the neccessity of having them as in my last game the 2nd lvl. Mage was more a deteriment to me than to my opponent (he blew up 18 Swordmasters in one go on a miscast. Ironically it was to cast Shield of Saphery on the Swordmaster unit he was accompanying. :wtf:).