PDA

View Full Version : Non-GW parts featured?!

superczhunk
01-02-2011, 19:11
Hey all

Seems GW either wasn't aware or don't care that other company's toys are seen in the most recent conversions from fans for Apocalypse:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=15100054a

I see a Rackham knight statue on the first Baneblade and some LEGO wheels on that Ordinatus...:D

Get those lawyers going!

Tavendale
01-02-2011, 19:15
It's not the first time and it's not a huge deal. They'd do well perhaps to edit in a quote, but it really seems like the person who did the conversion didn't inform them.

I didn't notice the Rackham model until you said, but yeah, I did notice the LEGO wheels and chuckled. They work well!

PaintByNumbers
01-02-2011, 19:57
I liked the lego wheels myself.

I've never seen much reason to take issue with using parts not made by GW if the parts fit the over-all theme you're trying to produce. But this of course is coming from a guy who remembers a how-to article in the early rogue trader book showing how to make a land speeder out of an empty deodorant stick... ahh those were the days. :)

Alfract
02-02-2011, 01:26
Im pretty sure your allowed to use other models (in conversions), as long the the GW components make up more than 50% of the model.

ted1138
02-02-2011, 01:50
I liked the lego wheels myself.

I've never seen much reason to take issue with using parts not made by GW if the parts fit the over-all theme you're trying to produce. But this of course is coming from a guy who remembers a how-to article in the early rogue trader book showing how to make a land speeder out of an empty deodorant stick... ahh those were the days. :)

And what about those scout titans they made from Star Wars AT-ST toys?

Cragum
02-02-2011, 10:27
See for me if I put some of my models up then the question of using pencils for structures such as stone throwers and the like would be ok!

At end of day like said before, as long as at least 50-60% is used of gw parts then who gives a tart? Its your own imagination at the end of the day. Plus some GW models are awful and need to be converted...

chivalrous
02-02-2011, 17:23
It probably also comes down to using parts from other wargame miniatures manufacturers as opposed to toys and action figures.
Lego is probably not a problem, but Rackham for instance would be.

Lord of Divine Slaughter
02-02-2011, 22:29
Im pretty sure your allowed to use other models (in conversions), as long the the GW components make up more than 50% of the model.

Pretty sure that GW loves anyone buying into this crap rule :p

I too remember the deodorant 'hover tank' days, and have never been able to take this rule seriously - or its sister rule WYSIWTF.

Sure 90% of my minis are pure GW, sure they're mostly fielded WYSIWYG, but if anyone wants to go with a particular upgrade for a unit and happens to have assembled it with different options, or likes a competing model, I really couldn't care less. After all, its just a game - and noone is going to reward you for buying models you don't like :)

Tavendale
02-02-2011, 23:00
I think people are misunderstanding the OP.

People are focusing on GW's rule for models being predominantly made up of GW bits for use in their stores or events. As I understand it, The OP is not making an objection to the use of these non-GW parts, but just thinks that GW should state where these parts comes from, specifically the Rackham Knight.

Or I'm just talking nonsense. Whatever.

traeplien
03-02-2011, 04:22
I think people are misunderstanding the OP.

People are focusing on GW's rule for models being predominantly made up of GW bits for use in their stores or events. As I understand it, The OP is not making an objection to the use of these non-GW parts, but just thinks that GW should state where these parts comes from, specifically the Rackham Knight.

Or I'm just talking nonsense. Whatever.

Nope, that's exactly how I read it as well.

Cragum
03-02-2011, 10:25
In honesty I believe at end of the day this picture is essentially just a woops of who cares what models are used. I used to be told that I wasnt able to use LOTR range on my other systems as it was trademarked and my store wouldnt let me use it... load of bull i know but non the less we ignore it anyways as now i have three lotr trolls as gorgers...

At the end of the day as long as your not doing what some people are of using mantic armies and instead your using the odd lil bit here and there you are safe from the WYSIWYG Ghouls...