PDA

View Full Version : Wyrmlance with Virtue of Heroism

CaliforniaGamer
02-02-2011, 19:00
Simple question: does the breathweapon from the wyrmlance combine with the Virtue of Heroism to give these hits heroic killing blow?

ie-can I run into a steam tank, activate my wyrmlance and blow it to kingdom come?

Paull
02-02-2011, 19:04
In short no.

special abilities (like heroic killing blow) cannot be used with breath weapons

TresChic
03-02-2011, 00:33
Also, I believe the item description of the Wyrmlance in the Bretonnian army book specifically says it can only be used as a breath weapon when not in combat. This is an artifact of 6th/7th edition (were of course, one could never use a breath weapon in close combat) but to the best of my knowledge no FAQ or errata has changed the wording of the Wyrmlance description to reflect the change in 8th edition. I still run a Paladin with the Wyrmlance in my Brets... it's great for dealing with problematic low toughness infantry blocks such as High Elven Swordmasters, Dark Elven Executioners etc. However, I don't think it can be activated in close combat like most other breath weapons in 8th ed., thanks to the antiquated item description.

scruffyryan
03-02-2011, 07:03
Also virtue of heroism requires non magical weapons.

Paull
03-02-2011, 08:19
This was addressed in the 8th FAQ scruffyryan. The wording in it says to replace the wording.

The new wording makes no mention that magical weapons cannot be used for the heroic killing blow virtue.

T10
03-02-2011, 15:39
Indeed. The virtue now simply grants Heroic Killing Blow and does not come with any further restrictions.

-T10

scruffyryan
03-02-2011, 16:19
Well that makes it much better.

hashrat
03-02-2011, 18:08
Those S3 hits from a breath attack once a game aren't much use imho.
With HKB you get more out of an extra attack then any fancy magic weapon to be honest, or increased survival as once your opponent is aware of the Virtue you can expect some heat to come your way.
No idea if these are helpfull, but a few builds I have used.

For balance between attack and defence.
Virtue of Heroism
hvy armour and shield,
Great helm (depending on mount rerollable 2 or 1+ save)
sword of swift slaying for ASF (It's reroll being important) or sword of battle for +1A. (ASF is superior, you are hunting monsters and they all have lousy Initiative)

Or for defence
Virtue, guilded cuirass and dragon bane gem. Regen and 2+ ward vs fire.

Or all out attack
Virtue of Heroism
Sword of Strife (+2A)
Gauntlet of the Duel. (for characters) However a Dragon Helm works here too.