PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a new Chapter

Mr.selfdestruct
03-02-2011, 04:20
I feel that I am ready artistically and conceptually to have "MY" space marine army. Ive had many, but I always end up selling them off after a year or so after completion. I keep coming back to my love of the Iron Hands, but I finally realized my problem with them. I can't abide the simple, black paint job. I know there are many ways to offset this blackness, but the army still looks flat to me, regardless of who has painted them. Background wise, they are my favorite- but I want them to look striking on the table. So, I am trying to form a consensus of my peers as to what I should do. Here are my options:
Brazen Claws: Difficult paint scheme, interesting background, successor of Iron Hands
Scythes of the Emperor: Striking paint scheme, great background, some veterans plus lots of scouts gives interesting tactical options
Fire Lords: No Background to speak of, Bold paint scheme, my army idea is to spam flamer templates- lots of fiery death
PreHeresy World Eaters: Interesting Background, good paint scheme, I want to use the Blood Angels Codex to represent them

I really want to love their background, and their appearance, so Im torn as to what to do. Thoughts?

FabricatorGeneralMike
03-02-2011, 04:38
Why not do Sons of Medusa? They are 'Iron Hands' basically with Green armour? Nice Bionicy bits and its not black.

pixelgeek
03-02-2011, 04:43
Or make your own Iron Hands Successor chapter. No reason why you need to stick with an official chapter is there?

ForgottenLore
03-02-2011, 04:49
If you want to have "YOUR" space marine army, then make your own, don't use one of GW's armies.

Take some inspiration from the GW chapters you like (like Iron Hands) and do your own fluff and paint scheme, invent your own characters to lead your army, you decide how they like to fight and why, you can record their glorious victories, and no one can ever contradict what you have developed, because it is "YOURS"

Dvora
03-02-2011, 05:12
In all honestly, it would be cool to see a pre heresy Iron warriors.

Mr.selfdestruct
04-02-2011, 04:35
Yknow what's funny is I would do Sons of Medusa...except my buddy already has them.

Torpedo Vegas
04-02-2011, 04:38
Space Sharks! Duel Lightning Harpoons!

Dvora
04-02-2011, 04:54
Go with Pre heresy World Eaters, that'd be a rare sight as well.

Mr.selfdestruct
04-02-2011, 05:29
Im definitely intrigued by the options a World Eaters army would provide, the background of the Scythes, and the tactical well-roundedness of the Brazen Claws. Grrr...too many options and too few resources!

Conandoodle
04-02-2011, 05:41
I went with my own paint job .. had no complaints. Unfortunately GW discontinued to line (Camo green - I think it was .. could be wrong).

That would be my only concern with using non-standard SM chapters.

Jind_Singh
04-02-2011, 07:03
Issue with pre-heresy World Eaters is finding the right looking armour parts to make it look amazing - FW has them by the bucketful but then it's an expensive army!

I would suggest making your own successor chapter from the Iron Hands, keep their fluff very similar, and use a more exciting paint scheme

Dvora
04-02-2011, 07:10
Actually if you use the battle wagon from the war store, it won't be so bad. Or too expensive...not forge world expensive anyways. You could also get Steam Knight heads from Maxmini and it'll look pretty sweet.

http://www.maxmini.eu/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=60

http://www.thewarstore.com/product26721.html

Mr.selfdestruct
05-10-2011, 19:58
So, it's been a while since I updated- if anyone is still reading this and cares, I am going with the Scythes of the Emperor. My plan is to have their bases themed for the later stages of a Tyranid invasion, or possibly the inside of a hive ship. Lots of battle damage, no vehicles larger than a Rhino chassis, etc. I'll start a painting and modeling thread once I get started

All Cing Eye
05-10-2011, 21:58
If you llike Iron Hands another successor chapter that barely gets mentioned is the Steel Confessors. They have quite a nice metal and bone colour scheme.

Here's the lexicanum link:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Steel_Confessors#.TozEMDv95YM

AlphariusOmegon20
06-10-2011, 06:02
Honestly, I'll go out on a limb here and say do the Brazen Claws. You don't see many quartered armies on the table, so that in itself would make it unique.

Carlosophy
06-10-2011, 08:56
Track down IA 9 and 10 and have a look through the abundance of marine characters in there to see if one takes your fancy. Its great having an army that looks great but even better if they play that way too.

Mr.selfdestruct
06-10-2011, 17:40
Yknow Carlosophy I have been contemplating that! I love the abundance of background information the IA books include, and as soon as I can I will be picking those up. I've seen the poster that includes all the marine chapters involved- but I was wondering if there is actual fluff on all of them, or just a choice few like the Minotaurs, Sons of Medusa, etc?

the_under_empire_clan
09-10-2011, 07:59
hey man try Howling Banshees they got the German colors:)