PDA

View Full Version : What to use for Daemon Flamers?

NixonAsADaemonPrince
03-02-2011, 12:29
Hi Peoples,

The question's all there in the tital, I don't want to use the official models for both looks and cost reasons, so I was wondering if people had any ideas for good alternatives (As long as they are GW). I would rather they be plastic, and was thinking of using the Plastic Empire Flagellant box from Fantasy, twisting them in weird ways obviously without the weapons, and painting them up in a fiery theme to represent possessed etc. What do you think?

Cheers.

Posted in General as this is a "What model to use" thread rather than an actual "Conversion" thread.

Satan
03-02-2011, 12:32
I use the Daemonhunters Daemonhosts as well as converted flames but your suggestion sounds great.

the Goat
03-02-2011, 12:45
There is really no reason not to use the current official models. They are outstanding.

I don't see how you could ever convert a flagellent model into something that looks like a tzeentch flamer.

Cheeslord
03-02-2011, 13:29
What about plastic horrors, with their legs embedded in milliput/greenstuff to make a "trunk" and similarly blobs of mulliput/greenstuff flaring out the ends of their arms into Flamer mouths? (obviously depends on your modelling skill too).

Mark.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
03-02-2011, 13:40
Cheers for your comments guys, I was thinking about the Horrors but in a Daemon army I thought they would be mistaken for, you guessed it, Horrors ;), unfortunately.

I think I might go for the Flagellants, the idea does appeal to me. Keep the ideas coming though please.

Cheers for the helpful comments as well The Goat, I myself am not such a fan of their style or their price tag.

the Infadel
03-02-2011, 14:34
I would suggest going forward with your flagellants and add some plastic bits from other plastic demon models like arms, heads, etc.
Liquitex has a great product to make fire with, their blended fibers. After applying it, you can pull the fibers away, and painted up it looks great.
http://www.liquitex.com/Products/texturegelmediums.cfm

ColShaw
03-02-2011, 15:19
I like the Flagellants idea. The Empire Bright Wizard might work, too. The Flagellant dude with his head on fire would be especially appropriate.

Slazton
03-02-2011, 16:26
If you are intending to use them to be possessed cultists that can unleash magical flames, why not go a bit further? It would require a bit of extra bits and mould bolt pistols (or flamers if you ahve loads of spares lol) into their arms, mouths, head, random location X, etc to show the port they fire through?

Back in Chaos Codex 3.5, I actually crafted a combi-bolter onto the forearm of my Daemon Prince. Now its a Tzeentch Daemon Prince (with an axe of Khorne ... I blurred the sigils) that uses doombolt. Couldn't let the model go to waste....

ctsteel
03-02-2011, 19:02
Not sure which models might give the components, but given the Tzeentch theme I'm imagining biped bird men spewing fire out of their mouths - sort of mini Lords of Change.

You could get the flagellant torso (or other bare chested/scrawny body), replace the legs with something more birdlike, add some harpy wings or similar, then replace the head with a bird's. Some of the scaled down eagles for Flames of war, or maybe the eagle riders from fantasy (if I remember right) might be suitable for the bird head.

Alessander
09-02-2011, 07:49
pick up some epic Lord of Change models from ebay?

Thanatos_elNyx
09-02-2011, 09:16
Get the Skaven Warpfire thrower from Island of Blood cheap on eBay.
Put wings on the guy with the thrower part and discard the fuel guy.
Voila!

Clang
10-02-2011, 21:44
Possessed humans from a Fire worshipper cult seems perfectly fluffy to me - their attempted summoning of a 'fire elemental' worked unexpectedly well when a bored Tzeentch deity decided to 'bless' them all by mutating their bodies into demonic fire.

LonelyPath
11-02-2011, 00:41
I use Wood Elf Dryads for both Horrors and Flamers. I just convert the Flamers a little more by adding green stuff.