PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Skaven army list

Astraeos
03-02-2011, 17:43
Wrote this a week or so ago and was wondering if it needs any adjusting or tinkering.
I'm not looking to crush anyone tournament style, I just want an army that'd be fun to play with. But I would want one that'd stand a chance of winning mind you! Just looking for comments and advice really.

Here's the list-

Skrut Warped of Clan Nezumi, Warlord- 165
Potion of Strength, Warpstone armour, Sword of Swift slaying

Edam Chitterwhisker, Chieftain- 115
Battle Standard, Armour of Silvered Steel

Baz, Warlock Engineer- 133
Magic Level 2, Dispel scroll, Warplock pistol

20 Clanrats- 175
Full command, Shields, Poisoned wind mortar

20 Clanrats- 190
Full command, spears, shields, Warpfire thrower

20 Stormvermin- 220
Full command, shields, War banner

Giant Rats pack- 138
30 Giant rats and 6 Packmasters

20 Plague Monks- 165
Full command

5 Jezzails- 100

5 Gutter Runners- 85
Poisoned attacks

Rat Ogre pack- 128
3 Rat Ogres and 1 Packmaster

Rat Ogre Pack- 151
3 Rat Ogres including 1 Master-bred Rat Ogre and 2 Packmasters

Hell Pit Abomination- 235

Eisenhorn
04-02-2011, 08:20
You need bigger unites for core and some slaves. It is important for skaven to have a solid core and then you support that with speciales and rares. The bigger unites the better it is. We lock the enemy in combat with a cheap steadfast unite like slaves. Then we shoot them or charge a flank with rat ogers or any other nasty close combat unit

From your list i would make the storm vermin into clan rats and then make all the clan rats unites atleast 30 strong. I would not bother to buy spears for them.

Then i would drop some of the other special unites and take 3 slave unites at least 40 strong with a musican.

Svarten
04-02-2011, 10:28
Why not merge the tow rat ogre units? 21 S5 I4 attacks is really nice xD

Astraeos
04-02-2011, 16:00
Not keen on the idea of Slaves, mainly as it's because it's either use metal models or keep splitting Clanrat boxes up, which will impede the growth of two units.

I'll tinker with the list and put up a new version later, thank you for the advice.

Eisenhorn
04-02-2011, 16:15
Slaves do not have to be skaven. I have used a mix gnoblars and flaggelants. In my old skaven army, currently I'm working on a new skaven army, but I'm thinking about using the same mix with the addition of the two real slave models you get in a clanrat box.

I do believe you get twenty gnoblars in box and they are easier to put together then clan rats, I think there are only 10 flaggelants in a box, but you don't need so many of them.

The thing is that skaven needs alot of troops to stay effective. There are no better way of getting them then slaves. A skaven army without slaves is like taking a brettonian army without knights.

Some of the uses of a slave unit includes:

1. Speed bump. Minimum size is 20 so that is 40 points now that is cheap.
2. Steadfast anvil. 50 slaves is massive unit which will have steadfast almost all the time with 10 ranks. Costs 100 points.
3. Lock dangerous unites some that you can shoot them some more. This can be incredible useful against all kinds of knights or monsters. A unit of 40 would be ok for these purposes.

Astraeos
04-02-2011, 17:14
There is that, and I have thought about using a mix of Goblins and Flagellants with Skaven weapons and shields added (so they fit in a bit, however roughly).

I'd like to stick with Stormvermin, as along with Gutter Runners, Plague monks, Rat Ogres and weapon teams are some of the most iconic units available to them.

I'll drop the WFT and Mortar to make a bit of extra room.

Astraeos
04-02-2011, 17:47
Okay, I've had a shuffle around and played with the list-

Skrut Warped of Clan Nezumi, Warlord- 165
Potion of Strength, Warpstone armour, Sword of Swift slaying

30 Clanrats- 155
Full command, Shields

30 Clanrats- 155
Full command, Shields

20 Stormvermin- 185
Full command, shields

40 Skavenslaves- 82
Musician

Giant Rats pack- 138
30 Giant rats and 6 Packmasters

20 Plague Monks- 165
Full command

5 Jezzails- 100

5 Gutter Runners- 85
Poisoned attacks

Rat Ogre Pack- 279
6 Rat Ogres including 1 Master-bred Rat Ogre and 3 Packmasters

Hell Pit Abomination- 235

1992 points spent, meaning I have 8 left over.

I was thinking I'd give one of these to Skrut in order to fill out that last 8 points (and using all the points is pretty fun)-

Shield and Rat Hound Bodyguard (can he have a shield even though he has Warpstone armour?)

Tail Weapon

Warplock Pistol

Unless there's something else I can put that last 8 points on, and no I can't add any more packmasters to either of the Clan Moulder units!

Eisenhorn
04-02-2011, 20:37
Looks like a better list now. Although I personaly would prefer more slaves, but some is better than non. I would go for the shield and rathound. You can take a mundane shield with magic armour, but not a magic shield.

Astraeos
04-02-2011, 20:39
Actually I had a think and remembered that Gutter Runners can take slings. I've heard slings and poisoned attacks are a god combination, I think I'll go with that.
Skrut still gets his shield giving him a healthy 3+ save with a Strength 4 hit for anyone that attacks him in close combat.

Thanks for your help, it's really appreciated.

Just for posterity, the V3 list-

Skrut Warped of Clan Nezumi, Warlord- 168
Potion of Strength, Warpstone armour, Sword of Swift Slaying, Shield

30 Clanrats- 155
Full command, Shields

30 Clanrats- 155
Full command, Shields

20 Stormvermin- 185