PDA

View Full Version : w3rm's Tomb King Battle Reports

w3rm
04-02-2011, 17:50
So This is where I'm going to post my Tomb King Battle Reports.

The Reports

1. Vs. Dwarfs~ 1500 points
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5289143#post5289143

w3rm
04-02-2011, 18:02
Battle 1- Tomb Kings Vs. Dwarfs~ 1500 Points

King Rhamet looked over the dunes towards the dwarf army setting up on on the banks of the river Rhamet. Thier ironclads had come and landed thier early yesterday.

Priest Thrisis limped over towards him. "What do we do, my Lord?" he asked in a raspy voice.

"We get back the amulet of course." said Rhamet. "The treasure hunters will not escape this time."

The priest raised a clawed hand. With an uttering of words, the rattling and rasping of bones could be heard behind him.

"Attack." said Rhamet simply.

So basically in my fluff, an amulet was stolen from Rhamet. He needs to kill an enemy charachter with a talisman. On a roll of 6 he has recovered his amulet. If he doesnt, then he keeps searching.

The Armies

Tomb Kings

Tomb King w/ Spear of Antark, Collar of Shapesh
Liche Priest w/ Golden Ankrah, Steed
Liche Priest

28 Skeleton Archers w/ Std., Musician, Banner of Eternal Flame
20 Skeleton Archers w/ Std. Musician

25 Tomb Gaurd w/ FC, Icon of the Seeing Eye
Tomb Scorpion

Screaming Skull Catapult

Dwarfs

Dwarf Lord w/ Master Rune of Skalf Blackhammer

30 Warriors w/ Std. Great Weapons
32 Thunderers

18 Hammerers w/ Std. Banner of Grungi

2 Organ Guns

Deployment-
Tomb Kings (my left to my right) 28 Archers with Liche on Horse, Catapult, 20 Archers w/ Liche, Tomb Gaurd w/ King
Dwarfs my left to my right- Thunderers, Warriors, Hammerers behind warriors with Lord, Both Organ guns

Scorpion buried next to the organ guns.

Report to come! Place your bets on who's gonna win!

Ok so here goes....

Turn 1 Tomb Kings

I move up my Tomb Gaurd and move my archers in range to shoot up his thunderers.

After that I roll for winds of magic. I roll a 6,2 which means the damn stunties get 8 Dispel dice.

My Tomb King tries and fails to cast urgency on the Archers. I Cast urgency on the catapult which is dispelled. I cast Urgency at my hierophants archers and that too is dispelled.

I fire my catapult at the warriors and it scatters 6" off target. The archers shoot and kill a whole 2 thunderers.

Turn 1 Dwarfs

He moves his warriors straight forward and the hammerers creep up behind them. His organ gun shoot at the tomb gaurd and kills 4, his other one misfires and cant shoot this turn.

The thunderers open up on my smaller archer unit and kill 14 of them :eek:

Turn 2 Tomb Kings

I move my tomb gaurd up a bit and ready to charge the warriors. He gets 6 DD. I use my Tomb King to cast urgency on the Tomb Gaurd and he opts to not dispell and take the charge.

I Cast smiting on the Tomb Gaurd and he dispells it. I cast smiting on my big archer unit and he dispells it. I get smiting off on the catapult and it kills 2 warriors.

Shooting the catapult normally rolls a misfire and a 1. So bye-bye catapult.

The king kills 2 warriors in combat and the tomb gaurd kill 2. In return the warriors kill 10 and 5 more crumble... :(

Turn 2 Dwarfs

He doesnt move. He shoots his organ guns at the deplete liche/archer unit and kills them all.

His thunderers kill 7 archers from the big archer unit. The king kills 3 warriors and the tomb gaurd kill another 2. The warriors kill 8 and the rest crumble except for the king.

Turn 3 Tomb Kings

For winds of magic he gets 8 dispell dice. I actually get smiting off on my archers but it only kills a single Thunderer.

Normal shooting kills another thunderer.

In combat the tomb king takes 3 wounds and then crumbles into death.

Turn 3 Dwarfs

The organ guns hide in the craters of the hill so that if my scorpion comes up, it cant charge them.

The Thunderers kills another 10 archers.

Turn 4 Tomb Kings

The scorpion comes up and I opt for a charge on the warriors who he is now in the rear arc. He fails the charge however.

He gets 5 Dispel Dice and he dispells summoning. The archers shoot and kill a warrior.

Turn 4 Dwarfs

The Hammerers charge the scorpion.

The thunderers shoot at and kill the whole archer unit, save the Hierophant! Thank god he didnt die or my army would have started to crumble! *Phew!*

The scorpion kills a hammerer and then gets killed by the hammerers.

I call the game here.

He got about 1600 vp and I got 0. Thats a massacre for the Tomb Kings... :(

Post game thoughts-

Wow... That was brutal. I felt what really screwed me over was his magic defence. He could easily shut down my 4 spells per turn, no matter how many dice he got. Then all he needed to do was blast and then mop me up in close combat. I also feel like dwarfs are a bad match up for Tomb Kings, because high toughness and high strength are bad deals for tomb kings.

Well I learned a lot and for my first game with tomb kings I guess it was to be expected. Thanks for reading!

SevenSins
04-02-2011, 18:26
I always bet for the tomb kings (at least until/if they get a new book) :)

32 thunderers in one unit?

w3rm
04-02-2011, 22:35
Yup. Its pretty much my least favorit unit of his.

giant stegadon
05-02-2011, 05:48
Its nice to see TK batrep's all the same. Keep them coming. I believe in you!

Malorian
05-02-2011, 18:25
Tomb kings suffer at low point games.

Once you get bigger you can have the characters you need and support units for them to support.

And get that tomb king a wizard hat ;)

Seabo
05-02-2011, 19:34
Well that was brutal....
Your poor little dead guys are really dead now :p. Still, keep it up...Go Tomb Kings Go!

w3rm
05-02-2011, 19:47
I might take the wizard hat, but I really like that Tk with the Spear!

SevenSins
06-02-2011, 08:32
ouch that was a tough one.
like mal said it gets better in higher points, but tk unable to get off any magic will always suffer

w3rm
06-02-2011, 13:21
Yeah it was really brutal. I'm really glad my brother won. Before 8th he struggled to win against my skaven and against dark elves and stuff. But since 8th his dwarf army has yet to loose. He was getting frustrated at loosing all the time but now he's having a lot more fun playing.

Plus I was getting kind of sick of my daemons and Skaven who just rolled over a lot of armies and it wasnt very fun.

Ok guys, I'm gonna try and get some revenge against my brothers dwarfs again today, prolly around 2000 points.

If i play 2000 I'll run

Tomb King- Spear of Anthark, Ironcurse Icon, Opal Amulet
Tomb King- Wizard Hat

Liche Priest- Ankrah, Horse
Liche Priest- Cloak of Dunes, Hieriatic Jar

28 Archers- Standard, Musician, Banner of Eternal Flame
24 Archers- Standard, Musician
4 Chariots

25 Tomb Gaurd- Full Command, Icon of Rakaph
Scorpion

Catapult

Total- 1999

He'll prolly run what he ran before, but with some miners, an anvil and another cannon or maybe a grudge thrower. Hopefully I can just use the chariots to slow down one of his units and weaken them up with shooting, buff up my gaurd with the hat-lad and then maul. The TG will prolly go in horde formation, even though it'll only be 27 strong.

Sqallum
27-03-2011, 21:49
Gonna buy anything new for the new release? New scorpion, ushtabi, bone giant and catapult? :eyebrows:
Nice reports!
Sqallum :skull:

w3rm
27-03-2011, 23:30
I haven't looked at anything for the new release yet. Are the Ushabti Plastic?

Zoolander
28-03-2011, 06:06
You fielded the 2nd weakest army against arguably the strongest... and at 1500 pts, where the TK suck the most. Not a good start for the TK.

You may find better luck at a higher point game, but plan on losing a lot until the new book is released, regardless.

Sqallum
28-03-2011, 16:41
Yes.. I think there are new plastic ushtabi - i am really conisdering buying them, especially becaus they will nail my twin's rat ogres. I WOULD LOVE IT IF THEY RELEASED MUMMIES! As a unit they would be awesome, especially if they were in units of 10.. like Tomb Guard/Black Orcs etc....

Stymie Jackson
28-03-2011, 17:16
How does a Dwarf army without any runesmiths generate 8 dispel dice? Is that a typo?

Dwarves get a +2 on each Dispel roll (same as a level 2 wizard)...they do NOT get extra dispel dice as in 7th, unless they take runesmiths.

Put the darn healing banner on the TG...with the spear and the banner, those TG will be very hard to wipe out.

SCORPIONS and swarms using ICFB are your friend against Dwarves. He likes shooters, so charge 2-3 bases of swarms into the flank or rear of the thunderers to tie them up. Then charge them with chariots and the thunderers die without stand and shoot. Chariots beat thunderers if you avoid the Stand and Shoot. Especially chewing on their flank the Dawi only have S3 in that deadly shooting unit.

To be honest, he should only get one shot with it. It Came From Below....

There's nothing 'weak' about TK built properly against Dwarves. You have good anti-castle abilities and you need to saturate his shooting with good targets (like healable Ushabti and Bone Giants)...and I think less Archers. Archers don't kill Dwarves, except slayers. If it's all-comers lists that's obviously not true (archers are awesome against T3 troops with low armor saves, no cover, no skimirisher benefits!).

I play against TK a LOT. It was super hard to beat them in 7th short of a very hard castle (scenarios mitigate the Dawi player just forming a box every game). It's way better in 8th as only TG or Contructs can do real harm to Dwarves...using healing spells and an over-powering magic phase.

I have run Runelords and Anvils against TK, and it's still not enough Anti-Magic, if the TK list is built right (bound items are great if you don't take the hat).

If you run a king combat army against Dwarves, expect to lose. You need lots of magic (they can never stop it all), scorpions and other constructs to take 'em on.

Oh, and wait a month for real joy...I think TK gonna get a HUGE boost and be a strong army again. And your bother will rejoice in 18 months with a new Dawi book. Both races I think will have good 'fluff'...that is, both races will be extending their empires and be on the offensive for once. My guess....

immortal git
28-03-2011, 19:32
I was going to say didnt they faq the dwarves to get +2 to dispell?

also thats a strong dwarf army at 1500

also zoolander, you said that TK are second worst, what do you consider worst

w3rm
29-03-2011, 02:38
Thanks for the battle tips Stymie! I'll keep those in mind! I am limited to models I own, no other constructs save the scorpion, but if plastic ushabti comes out.... :q

And thanks for the rules clarification. He was getting +2 from the lord and the anvil but not +4

immortal git
29-03-2011, 10:39
but it is +2 to his dispell attempts, not his pool!

w3rm
29-03-2011, 16:29
The runelord and anvil give additional dice.

Sqallum
29-03-2011, 16:39
Good luck anyways...
Like people have said, tie down his shooting units with swarms, then hit them hard with your elites.
Sqallum

GodlessM
29-03-2011, 22:47
My Tomb King tries and fails to cast urgency on the Archers. I Cast urgency on the catapult which is dispelled. I cast Urgency at my hierophants archers and that too is dispelled.

Exactly how does one fail to cast a spell that is auto-cast?

Malorian
29-03-2011, 22:55
I assumed he meant it was dispelled.

Zoolander
30-03-2011, 06:07
I was going to say didnt they faq the dwarves to get +2 to dispell?

also thats a strong dwarf army at 1500

also zoolander, you said that TK are second worst, what do you consider worst

Wood Elves, bar none. Not even a question.

And Dwarfs get +2 to dispel, and if he takes a runelord and the Anvil, he'll have +3 dispel dice as well.

Gabacho Mk.II
30-03-2011, 15:42
Oh, and wait a month for real joy...I think TK gonna get a HUGE boost and be a strong army again. And your bother will rejoice in 18 months with a new Dawi book. Both races I think will have good 'fluff'...that is, both races will be extending their empires and be on the offensive for once. My guess....

Can you kindly elaborate concerning the Dawi release???

Many thanks!

immortal git
30-03-2011, 18:36
i'd have to disagree with you zoolander, ive seen some good WE lists, but never a tomb king list that has done well... in my local atleast

GodlessM
30-03-2011, 21:07
I assumed he meant it was dispelled.

Right after he said he failed to cast the incantation, he says the further two were then dispelled, so precedent says otherwise. Hope you are right, otherwise is seriously screwing himself.

Can you kindly elaborate concerning the Dawi release???

Many thanks!

What on earth are Dawi?

w3rm
31-03-2011, 01:52
I did mean dispelled, not failed just a typo.

And not to be a jerk, but this is a battle report thread (Albiet not many battles going on lately, been busy with sports and getting ready for Ard Boyz) so can you keep the rumours about the dwarf release in the rumor discussion thread?

Sqallum
31-03-2011, 16:34
Yes. Apoligies :)
Sqallum

w3rm
31-03-2011, 16:38
It's all good!

Sqallum
16-04-2011, 09:21
New batreps........ or have you bought some new stuff :shifty:, and are painting it? How do you feel about Arkhan the Black being in the new army book? And LVL 5!!!:p Personally i love it, but thats cos I loved Arkhan from his fluff and rules - skeleton blade, manticore chariot..... just awesome. :D :D :D :D
Sqallum

Lukasz_VT
16-04-2011, 11:48
Looking forward to more TK reports! Hope you have fun with the new book when it comes out.

w3rm
17-04-2011, 23:29
Yeah I havent been getting many games in at all with my undead! Been busy with Ard Boyz and I'm using skaven there. Got 2nd in my store and am going to semi's (Hopefully to win a 3k tomb king army :p)

Sqallum
18-04-2011, 11:51
Good going, :)