30-05-2005, 04:39
Sooooo Ive been admiring the figs for both for a while now
and being a fair fan of mecha
I was wondering
How are these games?
any good?
Whats the gameplay like?
etc...

Im looking mostly for info on Jovian Chronicles but Heavy Gear is pretty sweet looking too

I just wish I had picked up a box or two when my lgs had em

Galadrin
30-05-2005, 20:23
I love Heavy Gear. Never played Jovian Chronicles but all DP9 products are absolute quality. Heavy Gear is especially good, and fits perfectly with the well designed Silhouette Core system. In the next month or so they should release the 3rd Edition SilCore Miniature Rulebook which will have a strong focus on Heavy Gear. I'd suggest picking it up and taking a look for yourself.

Heavy Gear gameplay is something between Mecha and near-future tactical squad combat. Tactical level is high, and using your squadron of Gears in correlation with one another is important. As for the actual rule system, it works very nicely. Damage is based on how you hit the enemy and on basic weapon damage (which is very realistic). Example: You would do more damage if you hit someone in the forehead than if you hit him in the toe. All the while it is still very streamlined while maintaining realism, which makes it very playable. Any specific questions?

Morgan Keyes
30-05-2005, 20:59
On the wargame level it works very well compared to other offerings in the genre like BattleTech. Command & Control, electronic warfare, scouting...all play a role. It's not a game where by and large it goes to who has the greater tonnage. In other words, light scouts are actually useful! ("Hey! Why isn't that little Cheetah closing, but just sitting on the hill watching us...? Do you hear a whistling soun....?" <BOOM!>)

Also, no "Sandblast the armor off til we're naked babies". Getting hit means you usually get hurt. How much damage you do is based on how well you rolled (Margin of Success, MoS) and the weapon multiplier (Advanced Tactical Handbook rules restricted the MoS to 6 so it didn't get silly, but many players forget this). This get compared to the armor which is Light (armor rating), Heavy (Armorx2), or Overkill (Armorx3) Damage.

Lots of good weapons and a construction system based on effects. Jovian Chronicles has an even more developed system so you make the weapons from the ground up. There's also a fleet action game for JC called Lightning Strike using modified concepts from the tactical game along with a few twists.

As for setting, Heavy Gear is reminiscent of Armored Troopers VOTOMS and Patlabor. Mecha, or Gears and Striders, really aren't that big (3-5m) and are more ultra-heavy infantry. In other words, watch out for tanks. Jovian Chronicales will bring to mind Gundam (though not G-Gundam or Wing silliness). And with the core rules, one can certainly make a game based on near any mecha genre.

Galadrin
30-05-2005, 22:28
Yeah, the system is just plain ideal for future combat. I've never seen an MoS higher than 6 though anyway. You would have to have amazing bonuses going on or the defender would have to have made a critical fumble in his defense (like not seeing the enemy in time to duck, or tripping on a parked car while dodging). Poor car...

Morgan Keyes
31-05-2005, 01:26
Yeah, the system is just plain ideal for future combat. I've never seen an MoS higher than 6 though anyway. You would have to have amazing bonuses going on or the defender would have to have made a critical fumble in his defense (like not seeing the enemy in time to duck, or tripping on a parked car while dodging). Poor car...

Well you sometimes get 6+ MoS when you have Gears get Point Blank on a tank's blindside, or CEF Hoverpanzers getting in really close. It's not often, but does happen. How some of the "Canon Police" tried justifying the rather limp CEF particle guns found on their panzers.

Actually I saw something close by a kid who was an obvious BTech player. Got surprised by a Hunter and, thinking he was protecting his weak back armor, took a 3-hex move to put his back in a corner in a canyon. Next move, the Hunter just moved two hexes into point blank and popped the kid's Jager,...with snub cannon :eek: . Think the MoS was only 4. :skull:

erion
31-05-2005, 12:45
I love Heavy Gear, and am very much looking forward to getting the new rules in my grubby little hands this summer.

I sincerely hope they kept the cascading damage tables. It was always fun to see a Light Damage result end up totally hosing the model.

Griefbringer
31-05-2005, 14:31
As for Jovian Chronicles, there is also a space combat game in that series, named Lightning Strike - I bought a copy lately, though I am not really familiar with the basic JC game.

jazzdude78
02-06-2005, 15:46
would you wise forum people suggest the Jovian Chronicles main book or lightning strike?

Witchsmeller
02-06-2005, 19:55
From what I have read on DP9's forums, Lightning Strike will be covered in the new SilCore mini book. So to be up to date you will need it and the latest Jovian Chronicles book.

Galadrin
03-06-2005, 09:15
Poor Jager : (

No love for the Allied Southern Territories.

Morgan Keyes
05-06-2005, 18:10
would you wise forum people suggest the Jovian Chronicles main book or lightning strike?

I certainly like Lightning Strike as it stands now in it's 2nd Edition. It gave a mechanic to allow alot more customization of units, as well as a logical buy system.

Poor Jager : (

No love for the Allied Southern Territories.

Yeah, but he got what he got for not thinking and playing with bad BattleTech habits. I call it a learning experience.

I m'self happen to be more the AST supporter, minus the extreme control of the Republic's current boss and the spy master, as opposed to the stuffy and reactionary North.

jazzdude78
06-06-2005, 04:42
well the final question is Heavy Gear or Jovin Chronicles?
I like both but I just cant seem to decide
I like the more militaristic aspect/more weapons loaded on the gears aspect of Heavy Gear
But I like the cleaner more "spacey" look of JC
Ill prolly at some point get both but the initial investment is sort of a coin toss right now

Morgan Keyes
06-06-2005, 06:41
well the final question is Heavy Gear or Jovin Chronicles?
I like both but I just cant seem to decide
I like the more militaristic aspect/more weapons loaded on the gears aspect of Heavy Gear
But I like the cleaner more "spacey" look of JC
Ill prolly at some point get both but the initial investment is sort of a coin toss right now

Guess the question is what kind of game you are looking for.

Very gritty land combat with a feel like VOTOMS (or even Patlabor) you have Heavy Gear. Something with a more high-tech feel and finding itself based in space with a feel like Gundam (least the mecha in many ways) then Jovian Chronicles.

Heavy Gear does have a bit more material written for it though and the storyline has seen more advancment.

Griefbringer
06-06-2005, 09:13
I guess it depends a bit on how "supported" you want the game to be - Heavy Gear is packed with loads of supplements, enough to make one go crazy when trying to figure out which ones to get.

Lightning Strike 2nd edition is easier on this - just one gaming supplement out there.

KTG
07-06-2005, 22:52
This is one game I wanted to get into, but when I saw it was hex-based I said forget it. I dont care how good the rules are, if I have to play on a hex map then forget it.

That was a while ago. . . has it moved on to a more open-table like system? I would be willing to try it out as I think they did a great job with the minis. . .

Galadrin
08-06-2005, 08:16
Hex play is optional, you can use one or the other >:O

Not many people use it anymore though, most go for open tabletop

Duymon
15-06-2005, 14:54
I never played JC, but I am an avid HG player :D

Heavy Gear tactical is really complex but it's great fun. Nowhere near the army sizes you see in Warhammer 40k. It's very easy to kill and very easy to die in this game. I really like the system more than battletech since as said before battle is not stripping the other guy until he's naked :p Game balance is also a lot better. Even though there's a huge possibility of cheesing the system with custom gears, pure stock games in HG tactical are great fun

One of the other things I liked about HG is that it has a Role-playing side as well. Imagine having a small-scale skirmish in a city Inquisitor style, then strapping into a gear to fight a tactical battle.

Miniature wise, HG minis are tiny. most are 1/144 scale and are about as expensive as GW minis. However, you won't need a whole lot to play like you do in Warhammer so it's easier on the wallet.

I personally play Northern Guard because I like the rough-edged gears and the Mammoth Strider.

I pity the kid that got popped by an assault hunter.

Oh, and gotta agree about the tank comment in HG. When there's tanks on the field hide! Even the light tanks in Heavy Gear are very potent..even that gimpy Hun tank the AST got :p

erion
15-06-2005, 18:05
Yeah, I have never ever played HG on a hex map. Supposedly they are making this even smoother in the 3rd edition minis rules, but we'll have to wait until July to see how it works out.

And Tanks are very, very bad. You must destroy them quickly and at range before they can bring their weapons to bear. Otherwise, your gears are dead.

Morgan Keyes
16-06-2005, 14:28
Oh, and gotta agree about the tank comment in HG. When there's tanks on the field hide! Even the light tanks in Heavy Gear are very potent..even that gimpy Hun tank the AST got :p

Being a Southern player, that's why I tweaked the Hun to better represent it's role in guerilla hunting in the swamps and jungle. Biggest change was replacing it's Heavy Rifle with a Very Light Field Gun which has the Tech Handbook +1 Accuracy mod (longer barrel then standard). Now it has somewhat better punch, and another indirect fire weapon.