PDA

View Full Version : GW music

Fishslapper
06-02-2011, 00:47
My friend and I go down to the local GW every week to play the usual Empire vs Vampire Count match. As we are still adjusting to the rules our matches tend to become epic matches which span a long time with us commonly going :wtf:

One thing you notice after regularly going to this place and staying there for a while is the GW has about 12 songs on their CD which are looped over and over. It isn't a bad mix don't get me wrong, but I'm sure the people who work there will never hear that song in the same way again.

So the point of this ramble is, does GW use CDs? Who chooses the music? And can we have more variety please? Get some Beatles on, or if it's a copyright thing then get the epic battle music from DoW or whatever the fantasy one is.

Anyone get the same feeling as I?

TimLeeson
06-02-2011, 00:55
The music they play is one of the reasons i dont go into the stores personally. Maybe if they played some dark inhuman industrial, ambient or deathrobot stuff to get me in the mood... sure..but the rock/metal stuff sounds too contemporary and mainstream which kills the 40k mood for me (personally).

BobtheInquisitor
06-02-2011, 01:21
Every store plays different music. The LA battle bunker used to play a lot of sound tracks, such as LOTR and some Basil Poledouris stuff. Now all they play are the audio dramas, over and over again. Some of the staff have the dialog memorized.

slayerofmen
06-02-2011, 07:30
At the GW store i go to most, it's a lot of slayer, metallica etc, never really hear the same song twice

Torpedo Vegas
06-02-2011, 07:40
My LGS (not a GW, mind) tends to have a few CDs, alternating between rock (of the punk and fantasy metal varieties) and techno (which is awesome, especially when my tron paint scheme DE are on table)

herohammer
06-02-2011, 08:37
they should play old Boltthrower endlessly.

jack da greenskin
06-02-2011, 08:58
My LGWS play the same kind of music. It's all "my kind" of music if that makes sense, I like it and it's what I listen to at home. Buuutt.... I agree, if you're in their for an hour it loops, and hearing the same songs over and over isnt healthy.

Then they have the odd song that makes you want to cry, like a boyband or something.

yabbadabba
06-02-2011, 09:53
GW get the cd's made up externally - they have to have a performance license to play music and pay royalties.While a few years ago some managers got to input on the selection process, I am not sure if that is the same today.

Shamutanti
06-02-2011, 10:53
Yep. Candyrock does the music for GW stores and it's generally designed to fit the demographic of the typical young teenager, with the occasional dabbling of something different slotted in.

TheBigBadWolf
06-02-2011, 11:20
The one in Dundee always seems to be playing the Theme Tune for Pirates of the Caribean every time I go in :D

ORKY ARD BOYZ
06-02-2011, 11:24
Mine plays a lot of Fallout Boy.

Marovian
06-02-2011, 13:06
WHW has the lord of the rings soundtrack on loop and has done for many years.

Fredox
06-02-2011, 14:48
My local GW has a selection of cd's and gets sent new ones every so often. They change the cd after it has finished so generally you only here each CD once a day unless we have cover staff in and they don't know where the other cd's are. As previously mentioned each cd is premade to conform with PPL rule. I'd love it it they had a greater range of cd's say around 20 or so.

Londinium
06-02-2011, 19:32
They should play this on repeat, suits the 40k vibe and will scare off all the parents buying for their children.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv5Jvr2Fp48

Chaos and Evil
06-02-2011, 20:59
They should play this on repeat, suits the 40k vibe and will scare off all the parents buying for their children.

Excellent choice... but considering kids are the main target audience, I think they've got their music selection pretty correct.

Triple7s
06-02-2011, 21:13
My local usually cycles between blink 182, the offspring, green day etc. although there was a time they had one of those awful story cds on.

What would be amusing is if they had a fantasy campaign and played something like Dragonforce all day. Overload of cheese.

Solasun
06-02-2011, 22:15
Oddly enough I recall walking into my local once with the Soul Reaver theme playing. I started narrating Kain's dialogue from Defiance - few years ago now, three? Maybe four, was told then that generally the cd's are shipped in but this one seemed made by the staffers (in terms of mix.)

The music's normally quiet enough not to disturb me when I'm browsing - or more often than not making a quick grab of the three or four paints I need /want to buy that day. If it was me I'd go for something light and ambient though; dispelling the 'metal heads and geeks' stereotype is shockingly needed by this company.

Killgore
06-02-2011, 23:08
Mine plays a lot of Fallout Boy.

Oh you poor person,

My local GW doesnt seem to play much music, but then again do you really need music when theres no gaming allowed on weekdays apart from gaming nights/ events?

Svorlrik
06-02-2011, 23:29
They should have the Chaos Gate soundtrack playing in all stores. For me personally, that is the sound of 40k.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOXe0RfMHvo

chromedog
06-02-2011, 23:34
My local plays nothing but DragonfArce and some early Maiden.

AND it's full of snotty 12-year olds.

I have to find an excuse to actually WANT to go into it.

Grimtuff
07-02-2011, 00:30
Our local is currently doing the rounds with the Best of the Best Air Guitar Album in the world EVAR! (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000BHPBLK/ref=asc_df_B000BHPBLK1963932?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B000BHPBLK)

Does the job nicely. Though the TV/Movie themes album was wonderfully random too. :)

DarkReaver
07-02-2011, 07:16
At my local store it's the store manager who decides what gets played and so we got a little bit of fallout boy, linkin park, dragonforce and some other stuff. We all freaked out when this weird love song started playing one time....

AndrewGPaul
07-02-2011, 08:27
My local shop usually plays internet radio stations, or whatever the owner feels like - experimental jazz, old B-movie soundtracks, classic FM, you name it.

sigur
08-02-2011, 00:57
This thread has so no place in GW General or anywhere else. ;) Sorry but I think you should talk to your local manager if you want that changed instead of asking the internet community.

I really con't care that much about the music they play there, I just feel bad for the staff occationally, having to listen to the same few tracks all over again. During the time I did my civil service at a hospital though I learned that you adjust to music and can get along with most kinds really. The Emperor bless the moldable human mind. ;)

Fishslapper
08-02-2011, 02:15
I was really just wondering if this was a GW wide thing or if different stores did their own thing. I seem to have gotten my answer :D.

cailus
08-02-2011, 22:18
I dunno how one can listen to music while gaming. It gets in the way of it.

And I listen to music at least 4 hours a day through headphones at work (NP: Darkane - Insanity), half an hour to an hour in the car, when I'm ironing, when I'm cleaning the toilet and bathroom, washing the dishes and pretty much anything else. But no when gaming or painting. Go figure...

RandomSelect
13-02-2011, 16:11
My local had led zeppelin on when i popped which made me actually notice they had music on.

DrMabutu
14-02-2011, 18:34
My local GW plays some awful music. They get sent the CD's from GW head office and some external company puts them together. Still whomever chose what to put on the CD definately doesn't know what a good portion of people who go to GW stores actually like. I'm sick of the Ting Tings and Black Eyed Peas thank you very much....

thenamelessdead
14-02-2011, 19:29
Fallout Boy? Black Eyed Peas? :eyebrows:

When I've been in to stores recently they're often been playing their own cd's, as in GW ones. Not sure if they're spoken word with bits of music in between or all music.

Mallo
17-02-2011, 22:00

This!

I havent spent a lot of time in the past 12 years or so in a GW store long enough to know what plays in there now but when I was smaller/younger I did actually play the Quake ST on my headphones, but In my last few years of being a regular teen gamer my local store played CDs that they had sent to them.

Most of the stuff wasnt half bad. Guns N' Roses and Beastie Boys (which were normally one side two of my Quake cassette anyway!) But I think spending all my free time in store painting I learnt to hate brit pop, never been a massive fan of it anyway way but early Blur and oasis on repeat seven times a day made me swear off it- especailly after working in a 'jazz/wine' bar on a friday night, they had a lot of the same CDs as my GW, Im sure of it! :D

The two or three 15 mins stops in stores since 199-something, Id have no idea as never leave home with out my headphones, drown out in store music with Blind Guardian, Kate Bush, snake river conspiracy or tool- none of which I think they would ever play GW.

Londinium
18-02-2011, 12:25
Nice to see some other people like the Quake soundtrack out there. I wish Trent Reznor would do another videogame soundtrack, he's one of the favourites to win the Oscar this year for best soundtrack but it's a very electronic score he did for The Social Network rather than anything creepy like the Quake one.

I've often thought he'd be able to create a great 40k movie soundtrack if a big budget film was ever created (hardly likely).

Hermanesq
18-02-2011, 12:43
the best music moment in a GW was with my old manager,

new CD arrives that morning, we put it in and play it through once.

Manager asks to see the track listing, so we take it out and hand it over. He looks over the track listing, pauses mentions 'Whitesnake', flips the cd over and paints the bottom with superglue.

'Ah, this cd seems ruined, chuck it in the bin for me' as he went back to his paperwork.

Genius.

As for the choices, there are external as stated, and then general view given to the regulars was 'to be honest guys, you'd be here whether we played metallica or the spice girls, the musics not really for you, its generic tosh to not scare off new folks'

And as a staff member, you learn to filter out the music internally pretty quick anyway, so you dont even notice any more

TimLeeson
18-02-2011, 13:08
Well, most of the music I make is inspired by the quake soundtrack or similar stuff. Heres one I made last night even :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tETjWOzaShc

Wade Wilson
18-02-2011, 13:47
The one in Dundee always seems to be playing the Theme Tune for Pirates of the Caribean every time I go in :D

glad im not the only one who noticed that! ;)

Santiaghoul
18-02-2011, 14:20
When I was with GW, all the stores, in the Houston market, were issued a Ipod pre-loaded with music. I had to sign a paper saying that I would not add/subtract music and would only use that Ipod to play music in the shop. Failure to follow policy had the usual GW draconian penalities.

The Ipod was loaded with Pirates soundtrack, LotR soundtrack, Terminator soundtrack and a couple of other action movie soundtracks.