PDA

View Full Version : Giant in Empire army...

Boreas_NL
07-02-2011, 18:06
Is it still legal to use a Giant in an Empire army? I know they used to have the option in the previous edition, but I can't find any reference in the current edition...

I've managed to find one of the old metal Giants sculpted by Aly Morisson. The guy is perfect for my Empire army (if you want, check out my thread) and no matter what he'll be used in friendly games, but wil he be a viable choice in more competitive games?

Thanks for reading!

Svarten
07-02-2011, 18:12
I believe that they killed Dogs of War in this edition, including fielding both giants and ogre kingdom mercenaries, so no :/

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
07-02-2011, 18:13
I believe all the rules are on the Games Workshop website...

Okay, can't find the article. By competitive games do you mean tournaments?

Boreas_NL
07-02-2011, 18:25
Thanks!

Well, I'm not much of a regular tournament player (only on ocassion), but I do sometimes have some games which are not friendly (= not played with friends) and I want it to be as legal as possible...

Boreas_NL
07-02-2011, 18:42
I believe that they killed Dogs of War in this edition, including fielding both giants and ogre kingdom mercenaries, so no :/

Hmmmmm... That would be a shame.

Is so, would you (or anyone else) mind if I asked your consent to field the Giant (using the rules from the O&G list) anyway.

bluemage
07-02-2011, 18:49
Given that its such a lousy choice in every army that can take giants, I doubt most people would mind. I would be fine with it, but its unlikely you'll ever play against me. I would just ask your regular gaming buddies if they would mind.

Boreas_NL
07-02-2011, 19:03
Given that its such a lousy choice in every army that can take giants, I doubt most people would mind. I would be fine with it, but its unlikely you'll ever play against me. I would just ask your regular gaming buddies if they would mind.

They will not mind, we keep quite an open mind to new ideas and experimental units, as long as we have some fun... Too bad you live just on the other side of the globe, I'm always ready for a fresh opponent.

BigbyWolf
07-02-2011, 19:17
The best thing I can advise you to do is make two lists and ask before each game. Giants aren't game-breaking so I can see anyone having an issue with it...not when someone can quite legally roll-up with 2 Hydras/ HPAs.

Sometimes I take my old Chaos Dwarfs down to my club, and people love to face them despite the fact that I'm using the old 6th edition Rav. Hordes book (with added common magic items...). Likewise our resident DoW player gets similar treatment. The armies are unusual and have different playstyles (as does adding a Giant to an Empire army)- who wouldn't want to face them?

Ask your next opponent if you can do it. If he says no, just drop 2 steamtanks down instead...

Chiungalla
07-02-2011, 19:32
I would love to player a giant instead of a steam tank every day of all weeks.

Boreas_NL
07-02-2011, 19:34
Thanks! That actually makes sense...

In all my years of gaming I never actually never had the pleasure of facing Chaos Dwarfs, so I would jump at the chance of a game. Where might those World Edge Fountains be?

Ask your next opponent if you can do it. If he says no, just drop 2 steamtanks down instead...
Just plain evil... But very legal (as long as you play enough points). I would like to see how the combo works, a Steamtank flanked by a Giant... Now try and stop that!

Given that its such a lousy choice in every army that can take giants, I doubt most people would mind.
There are so much lousy choices nowadays, but I like the idea of an Empire army with a Giant. I even field a unit of Spearmen in my list so a lousy giant shouldn't be a problem :D

Boreas_NL
07-02-2011, 19:36
I would love to player a giant instead of a steam tank every day of all weeks.

Cool! So no problems there... Am I right in saying the points value of both units is comparable? The Steamtank costs 300 points, I don't have the precise figure on the Giant...

BigbyWolf
07-02-2011, 20:02
205 points in the OnG book.

My current location is just a play on Warhammers "Worlds Edge Mountains"...I'm actually in the UK. ;)

hashrat
07-02-2011, 22:13
I wouldn't care.
Giants themselves aren't all evil iirc, some fluff justification must exist.
Opponents consent is required of course. I certainly wouldn't spring a Cult of Slaanesh or Slayer army on an unsuspecting opponent.

Fishslapper
08-02-2011, 02:39
I actually take a Giant in my Empire Army, but I don't play competitively. What I do is if I take an army, then I take my giant and then maybe a Steam tank and pick 95 points I can get rid of. So I say "Can I use my giant?" and if they say no I take the Steam Tank :D. If I have both then I bring my Hellstorm and have a spare 95 points of units which will even it out. Again, most opponents fear the Hellstorm more, but I like the Giant because he is fun.

Prepare for everything! I think it isn't entirely legal with some of the purists, but Warhammer is about fun and not about sticking to the rules. If it makes the game more fun then people will often allow it. I don't play enough games to be able to take it too seriously.

Boreas_NL
08-02-2011, 07:12
205 points in the OnG book.

My current location is just a play on Warhammers "Worlds Edge Mountains"...I'm actually in the UK.

Thanks! That gives me some points to spare... You mean the Worlds Edge Fountains in not an actual place??? :D

I wouldn't care.
Giants themselves aren't all evil iirc, some fluff justification must exist.
Opponents consent is required of course.
It shouldn't be too hard to come up with some suitable background... I can easily imagine a Giant hooked on the famous Stirland hot ale.

I actually take a Giant in my Empire Army, but I don't play competitively. What I do is if I take an army, then I take my giant and then maybe a Steam tank and pick 95 points I can get rid of. So I say "Can I use my giant?" and if they say no I take the Steam Tank . If I have both then I bring my Hellstorm and have a spare 95 points of units which will even it out. Again, most opponents fear the Hellstorm more, but I like the Giant because he is fun.

Prepare for everything! I think it isn't entirely legal with some of the purists, but Warhammer is about fun and not about sticking to the rules. If it makes the game more fun then people will often allow it. I don't play enough games to be able to take it too seriously.
Cool to hear you use a Giant, too... How does that work? May I ask which model you use and if you did any conversion work to make it fit with your Empire?

Next question: what base size should I put him on? I think the newest model comes with a chariot sized base. Will that be good or can I also put him on a large monster base?

Mid'ean
08-02-2011, 12:33
I personally like this guy for my giant. I figure if I'm gonna field a giant...he's gonna be BIG!

http://www.ultraforgeminiatures.com/?page_id=15

And his base is molded on a 50x75.